This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tredegar Road, Bow

Tredegar Road is where my grandfathers regt. the 1/17th County of London Battalion TF was based during WWI, or so I'm reliably informed.
    Attached Files

Comment

• The photos are from the Museum of London website. 20th Century, Tower Hamlets, 1900-1910. Photo #1 Producer is John Galt, #2 Producer is John H. Avery. (Date 1905-1925) Others - Producer unknown.

(1) Making shovels out of scrap metal, Bethnal Green
      (2) Trinity Square, Tower Hill, before the construction of the Port of London Authority's new headquarters
      (3) A child in bed at home, Bethnal Green
      (4) Interior of deprived home, Whitechapel
      (5) Grandfather caring for children at home, Bethnal Green

Enjoy,

Paddy
      Attached Files

Comment

• A couple of photos I came across recently.

Rothchild Buildings, Flower and Dean Street

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rothchilds Building cb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	654070

And this is the Brady Street club in Durward Street close to the murder site.

Name:	Brady Street Club cb.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	654071

Rob

Comment

• Sensational pics!!!
          For once I'm what passes for gobsmacked!!! Fabulous!!xxxxx
          Good find Paddygoose I just adore Father with boys have been svivelling over these and emailing em to myself to print out! (Ssssssssssssssh!)
          Last edited by Suzi; 06-15-2008, 07:47 PM.
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Nice photos Rob, where did they come from? They look like they come from a book to me.

Comment

• Hi John,

They are from a book 'A Club called Brady' published in 1996 to celebrate the centenary of the Brady Club.

Rob

Comment

• I picked up a cute little book called 'On Foot in the East End' from the Museum in Docklands shop today. Written and illustrated by Robert Philpotts, published in 1992. Some of you probably have it already. Anyway, here's a few illustrations from it.

Rothschild Arch

Name:	Arch.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	654072

Durward Street in front of Board School

Name:	Durward.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	654073

Pedley Street

Name:	Pedley.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	654074

Wood's Buildings

Name:	WoodsBs.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	654075

The Museum had a nice selection of East End books and a small amount of JTR ones - Rumbelow, Begg and lots of Rob and Phil's one.

JB

Comment

• Excellent posts, Rob!

Chris
                  Christopher T. George
                  Editor, Ripperologist
                  http://www.ripperologist.biz
                  http://chrisgeorge.netpublish.net

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                    Good find Paddygoose I just adore Father with boys have been svivelling over these and emailing em to myself to print out! (Ssssssssssssssh!)
                    Thanks Suzi, no worry.

Here's another.

This is Juda Hersz Fiszer (Fisher) and his wife Malka outside their umbrella shop on 19 November 1919. Juda and Malka moved to London from Warsaw, Poland, in the early years of the 20th century. He was a skilled umbrella-maker and, in 1907, established an umbrella business in the heart of the Jewish East End at 45 Hanbury Street, Spitalfields.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• That's a nice photo of 45 Hanbury Street, Paddy. 45 is still standing, it's one a way from the North West corner with Brick Lane.

Name:	45 Hanbury Street 2008.jpg
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	654083

And here is a rare photo of 29 Hanbury Street from January 1970 just prior to demolition.

Name:	Hanbury Street January 1970 cb.jpg
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	654084

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                        That's a nice photo of 45 Hanbury Street, Paddy. 45 is still standing...
                        Thank you Rob. Yes I see the ironwork above it on your modern shot.

OK, here's one just for fun. From the ParishRegisters site.

Undated photo. Caption "How did people wake before clocks? One way, at least if they lived in London’s East End, was to hire Mary Smith, a 'Knocker-up', who rose early and shot dried peas at her customer’s windows until they woke. Mary didn’t have a snooze alarm. She kept firing peas until they showed their faces."

Paddy
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Lucky he got out of Poland 20 yaers before the Holocaust.

Comment

• Good point, Veritas. And fortunate they were that democratic nations such as Great Britain and the U. S. offered a place for a new start.

Here is the remainder of the caption from the 45 Hanbury St. photo at Museum of London:

Although the family anglicised their name to Fisher soon after their arrival, Juda and his wife Malka kept their Polish nationality. During the First World War, the Fishers moved to the more desirable area of Hackney and set up home at 123 Victoria Park Road. Their son Morris Fisher continued the family business but, by the 1930s, the Hanbury Street shop had closed. The premises were taken over by a tailor. Morris became a market trader operating a stall in the Whitechapel Road, selling rather than manufacturing umbrellas, walking sticks and handbags.

Paddy

Comment

• Pearl Street in 1933
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Brushfield Street
                                date unknown
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X