Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry everyone, I know this is not meant to be "I SPY", but you just can't help it...

Comment

• Originally posted by anna View Post
      Robert,
      The street sign appears to be on the wall where you see "Woolf" above the open doorway.It seems to be a long name ...something like Willliamson Street?I think,if I remember rightly,there was an Isaac Woolf in Middlesex Street at the time of JTR who was a rag merchant...
      I think Robert was referring to Chris's mysterious photo, rather than the drawing of St Dunstan's, Anna.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Yes, I meant the photo, but with my eyes there's little difference. The man with the barrow looks like he's playing the double bass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
          The man with the barrow looks like he's playing the double bass.
          Bow street?
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Hi Sam,
            Trust me to get the wrong photo.... at my age finding anything's a bloomin' miracle!

Comment

• Gareth - excellent detective work. Sincere kudos to you there on the spire business. I'm sure it's on the original image; notice how the last houses in the street fade away.

It's a pea-souper and no mistake, guv.

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post

[ATTACH]2309[/ATTACH]

The steeple in the background looks rather Gothic !!!

If this photo was even taken in London, I'd guess Westminster, Lambeth, The Borough, or somewhere in The City ...
                I'd stick with The City, Colin. Could this be St Dunstan in the East, before it was flattened in the Blitz and reconstructed?

Click image for larger version

Name:	st-dunstan-in-east.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	654165

...note the gap under the peak of the spire.
                Good call, Gareth !!! I do have one reservation, however, which I will address presently. But first ...

Name:	14.1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	654166
                St. Dunstan's Church, St. Dunstan in the East, City of London, February 2007
                from south

Name:	14.2.jpg
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	654167
                from northeast

Name:	14.3.jpg
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	654168
                the nave, from northeast interior

Name:	14.4.jpg
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	654169
                from southeast

My reservation: St. Dunstan's Church was within spitting distance of ...

Name:	14.5.JPG
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	654170
                The Monument, St. Margaret, City of London, February 2007
                from southeast

A narrow alley, like the one in question might have survived The Great Fire; but ...

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	654171
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2008, 06:20 AM.

Comment

• Guys,

I was bored so did a little thinking, let me know what you think.

The image below seem to have been painted from St Dunstans Lane, virtually opposite St Dunstans in the East. Would that be right?
                  Attached Files
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Now,

Ive had a little study of this image below and feel it could have been taken from Cross Lane, formally Fowle Lane. Its possible the photographer was standing on the junction with Harps Lane.

Like I say, its just me messing about but Id be interested in what people think.

PS Colin, St Dunstans area was situated nearer the river, maybe the bucket chain reached that far....just.
                    Attached Files
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
                      A narrow alley, like the one in question might have survived The Great Fire; but ...
                      Good shout, Colin - however, I'm not so sure that those buildings couldn't have been erected in the late 17th/early 18th Centuries, after the Great Fire - they look old, but not that old, perhaps.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                        Ive had a little study of this image below and feel it could have been taken from Cross Lane, formally Fowle Lane.
                        Nice one, Monty. According to www.british-history.ac.uk, the first mention of Cross Lane, formerly Fowle Lane, was on Ogilby and Morgan's Map of London, produced 1677. Looks like it may have been rebuilt sharpish, and re-named. Presumably some of the nearby alleys and streets would have been restored to a similar time-scale.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Adjusting the contrast in the background gives us this............

Name:	cross%20laneharps%20cross%20lane retouch.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	654184
                          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• I am straining hard to see the clothing but it looks late Victorian or early Edwardian to me.

I actually wonder if it is in London at all? Perhaps someone made a mistake?

Comment

• Hi Limehouse-
                              Yep I'm with you on that one...Superb photo but somehow doesn't ring right as London...Hmmmmm That enhanced steeple in the background may help though..
                              Found these two lovelies today -First one labelled as 'An East End Street' and the second one as a 'Northern Victorian Street'..(sadly)

Name:	STREET1.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	654185

Name:	STREET2.jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	654186

Suz x
                              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                                I actually wonder if it is in London at all? Perhaps someone made a mistake?
                                I saw the same photograph on another website and they, too, had labelled it as being in London, although they didn't stipulate "Spitalfields". I wish I'd bookmarked that other site, now...
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X