This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all

Not quite the Eastend, but this is a shot of the current Middlesex Hospital / Noho Square development just off Oxford Street. The hospital has now been totally raised, but what's interesting is the emergence of a chapel (centre by the base of the crane) which must have been contained with the hospital itself. A friend of mine of visited a deceased relative in the chapel many years ago had no idea it was a structure in it's own right. If you compare the images (taken approx 4 month's apart) you can see the old chapel is only visible once the hospital is completely levelled. Not sure what the future is for this chapel for more of the surrounding buildings are due to come down soon. London is just one big building site at the moment.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Women at the Salvation Army Refuge 1890

Click image for larger version

Name:	salvarmywomenniterefuge1890.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	654622

Comment

• Photos -- Paddy

c. 1905 Factory Girls: Standing outside a 'hot joint shop' or eating house. The initials AOD and AOF on the windows stood for the Ancient Order of Druids and the Ancient Order of Foresters, two friendly societies. LCTU stood for the London Carmen's Trade Union.

Name:	factorygirls.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	654623

2 Poor Boys

Name:	2poorboysEE1900.jpg
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	654624

Blind Musicians

Name:	blindmusic.jpg
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	654625

Market Trader and Locals Middlesex St 1899

Name:	mkttrader&localmiddlexst1899.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	654626

East End Family

Name:	eastendfamily.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	654627

Comment

• About that street some pages back. It´s in Newcastle.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Martian2 View Post
            About that street some pages back. It´s in Newcastle.
            Well tracked-down, Martian! And a surprising amount of it still standing after all this time, too.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• ^ I love it! TOP research there, Martian. That's what this site should be about for me. Not all this name-calling nonsense.

How on earth was this ever claimed to be in London and, do tell, how did you come to find the real answer?

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Thanks, but I didn´t really do much. I posted the old pic on skyscrapercity.com (in a thread called "Lost London") under the title "East End/City street". Suprisingly people on that site had seen the pic before and they knew it was Newcastle and posted those to pics I just posted.

Comment

• Yes, that was very well done, Martian. (I never thought it was London but, being a foreigner, some of this mob wouldn't have given my opinion any weight.) And I like those pictures of yours, Paddy, very much. Just the sort of thing we all love to see. If you have any more, by all means please post them.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                    (I never thought it was London but, being a foreigner, some of this mob wouldn't have given my opinion any weight.)
                    There's something in that, GM (nothing to do with your standing, of course) and a cautionary tale for all of us.

Why didn't you think it was London, though?

PHILIP

Comment

• Listen, son, I have strolled the streets of London since you were in short pants, and it just didn't have the "feel" of London to me. Uh, wait a minute, sorry, you're still in short pants, aren't you.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                        it just didn't have the "feel" of London to me.
                        ...it didn't exactly have the "feel" of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, either Off-topic, but I found a great old postcard of a rather pretty woman standing near the archway of "Castle Garth", which you can see in the background of Martian's more recent photo:

Name:	dogleap2.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	654629
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• ^ Now that SHOULD be London but isn't!

GM - Bla.

PHILIP

Comment

• Paddy, what is going on with the boy listening to the Blind Musicians?

he appears to have two faces??
                            Attached Files
                            Regards Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                              Paddy, what is going on with the boy listening to the Blind Musicians?

Silly little urchin didn't stay still during a long exposure. Nice effect if you can achieve it on purpose, especially without more blurring than that.

B.
                              Bailey
                              Wellington, New Zealand
                              hoodoo@xtra.co.nz
                              www.flickr.com/photos/eclipsephotographic/

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
                                Hi Mike
                                You missed the ghost on the right of the 1899 Middlesex Street photo!!!

Hi Paddy
                                Thanks for the great photos you've been posting recently. That last one, East End Family, surprised me when I saw it at the Docklands Exhibition as it has a disturbing 'modern' quality.

Hi Martian
                                Very well done in finding the location of that picture. I rather liked the idea of it being in the Cross/Harp Lane area looking towards St. Dunstans but Newcastle it is!!
                                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                                X