• Show
Clear All

• the bag shop

aye aye! keep yer 'and on yer pfennig!

Comment

• jack's place

Comment

• Hi Harry,great pics-love the one of that paper bag shop in Crispin Street.Also the fine old house behind Liverpool St Station---hadnt seen that one-but there are some real old world houses in Whitechapel and the City.Here is one of the Market Coffee House at the corner of Brushfield St and Crispin St, and right next to the paper bag shop .
        Best
        Natalie
        Attached Files

Comment

• For those not aware of this, the photos in posts 334 and 336 just above show buildings facing the western end of what was Dorset Street which are more or less the same as in 1888.
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• The buildings in my photo above too ,the coffee house,the paper bag shop etc and those running alongside up Brushfield Street all date back to 1710 approx and were built at the same time as those of Fournier Street and up to Hanbury Street.They were the weavers cottages, already over 150 years old when the ripper ran his reign of terror.

To Rob Clack,
            I meant to say how great your photos were of ' Whitechapel in the rain"----very bleak and atmospheric Rob!

Natalie

Comment

• thanks nathalie

for your photo and the extra info - here's another much-photographed old East End house, i believe Princelet St. Co-incidentally, i just saw the BBC Crimewatch programme on Sally Ann Bowman, and in it she was seen posing outside a house remarkably like this one. (ps apologies for mis-spelling natalie, i don't seem to be able to change it!)

Comment

• Yes-Thanks Harry-that is Princelet Street.I missed Crime watch though-had intended to watch some of it too!
                Natalie

Comment

• In post #333, I am amazed that little building in holding its own. Nice shot.

Well, all of the shots are nice shots, actually.
                  "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• The little building near Liverpool Street is in Spital Yard and parts of that tiny street look just like they did at the time of JTR. It is a little oasis. I've got an early 1900s shot from the same position somewhere.

The building on Princelet Street is used on TV frequently. The owners keep the ground floor looking shabby on the outside as it suits period dramas. I last saw it on TV on THE FRIDAY NIGHT PROJECT on Channel Four a week or so back when David Tennant was playing a practical joke on someone from inside the building.

PHILIP
                    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Thanks, Philip, that is very nice to know.

Now if we could use that as an excuse for this place's exterior!
                      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hi Gang-

I'll be out and about in the area around lunchtime- so plan to get a few 'up to date' shots of the good old stuff plus anything else that's sprouted up or been knocked down by then!
                        Been laid low by the dreaded lurgy for the last four days...so if I'm spared will post 'em on my return!

Suz x
                        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Natalie Severn View Post
                          In fact at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry there are two old signs saying Whitechapel High street---even though one of them seems as though its in Fieldgate Street!
                          Hmm... not sure I fully understood this, but... The Whitechapel Bell Foundry is on Whitechapel Road. The external wall of the Bell Foundry on the Fieldgate Street side has an old road sign on it, saying "Fieldgate Street". If I have misconceived I hope you'll let me know.

Another Fieldgate Street mystery - or is it?...

I've seen this photo in more than one place - this comes from A.B. Levy's East End Story, c.1951:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fieldgate St 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	653387

(Sorry for the poor quality.)

I don't know that the location has ever been identified. What do you think about Plumbers Row, looking north(ish), the Bell Foundry on the left, Whitechapel Road (buildings on north side) in the background, and Fieldgate Street leading off to the right? Or am I way off beam?

Regards,

Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by m_w_r View Post
                            Hmm... not sure I fully understood this, but... The Whitechapel Bell Foundry is on Whitechapel Road. The external wall of the Bell Foundry on the Fieldgate Street side has an old road sign on it, saying "Fieldgate Street". If I have misconceived I hope you'll let me know.

Another Fieldgate Street mystery - or is it?...

I've seen this photo in more than one place - this comes from A.B. Levy's East End Story, c.1951:

[ATTACH]1252[/ATTACH]

(Sorry for the poor quality.)

I don't know that the location has ever been identified. What do you think about Plumbers Row, looking north(ish), the Bell Foundry on the left, Whitechapel Road (buildings on north side) in the background, and Fieldgate Street leading off to the right? Or am I way off beam?

Regards,

Mark
                            Hi Mark

In answer to the first thing: this is the sign in question on the side of the bell foundry. It says 'This is Baynes Street 1746' (though I have never seen the street referred to as such).
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	BAYNES.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	653392

As for the other photograph, you're dead right. The buildings in the background were bombed in the war and after being a car park for about 50 years, the site is now the London Muslim Centre.

JB

Comment

• Hi all-
                              I Just LOVE that Fieldgate St pic...Its a wonder!!!!...A serious caption job especially with what (!!!????) appears to be coming around the corner top left!

Heee hee (I know they're comin' for you Mother...but (sssssssssh!....off stage)... I'll keep her talkin!)

Suzx
                              Last edited by Suzi; 04-13-2008, 05:20 PM.
                              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Could the plaque been brought from another location and set in the wall, as a reference to some part of the history of the business? Or have had some significance to the owners, for reasons unknown? Companies will do that sort of thing. It's like someone framing the first dollar they made in their business. You see that in small businesses sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                X