The Secret Special Branch Ledgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All,

Stewart Evans is not a man given to talking bollocks.

He wrote in 2011—

"Whilst making tentative enquiries about the ledgers a few years ago we were warned that it was a sensitive subject and was best steered clear of. I took part in a public debate about the Whitechapel murders and I mentioned the Special Branch material. After the talk I was approached by someone who informed me that the material would never be released and if it appeared that it was going to be accessed it would be destroyed."

Interesting that someone so apparently well informed about the subject should have attended Stewart's talk.

If this doesn't tell you all you need to know about the WM, I don't know what will.

And yet collectively we playfully cling to the belief that a man known initially as Leather Apron and subsequently as Jack the Ripper stalked the East End bumping off unfortunates, and, further, based on the desultory evidence bequeathed to us by policemen who obviously knew better, that it's possible to put a name to him.

Stay safe, everybody.

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Hello Simon,

While it is certainly strange and somewhat disconcerting that someone as described above attended Stewart's talk I don't see a smoking gun here. Agencies like Special Branch are steeped in secrecy and have a culture of paranoia and distrust. They simply don't want people poking around in their files for any reason. Besides, there could be references to non-Ripper materials as well that they would rather not be leaked to the general public.

I know in the legal profession that attorneys coach their clients who are going to be deposed to provide the bare minimum response to even the most innocuous and harmless question and to slam the door in opposing counsel's face at every opportunity.

Someone can't get in your home if you don't allow them a foot in the door.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        Hi All,

Stewart Evans is not a man given to talking bollocks.

He wrote in 2011—

"Whilst making tentative enquiries about the ledgers a few years ago we were warned that it was a sensitive subject and was best steered clear of. I took part in a public debate about the Whitechapel murders and I mentioned the Special Branch material. After the talk I was approached by someone who informed me that the material would never be released and if it appeared that it was going to be accessed it would be destroyed."

Interesting that someone so apparently well informed about the subject should have attended Stewart's talk.

If this doesn't tell you all you need to know about the WM, I don't know what will.

And yet collectively we playfully cling to the belief that a man known initially as Leather Apron and subsequently as Jack the Ripper stalked the East End bumping off unfortunates, and, further, based on the desultory evidence bequeathed to us by policemen who obviously knew better, that it's possible to put a name to him.

Stay safe, everybody.

Simon
        This is what people aren't grasping Simon, these cases are indeed some kind of "hot potato". This fantasy madman drooling and slicing is Im sure a result of a level of carnage rarely seen done by one human upon another. Must be a monster. As some others recognize, we are all capable of monstrosities and the expression of violence isn't limited to those who are out of control.
        Michael Richards

Comment

• Hi Michael,

Fantasy Madman is an apt description.

Stay safe.

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Sporting Times.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	735816
            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Edited out - incorrect thread.
              Last edited by etenguy; 06-10-2020, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X