X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wickerman
    replied
    Thankyou Errata, thankyou Cris.
    I couldn't just put my finger on it, but felt sure I had come across it somewhere.

With Nichols the police threw a cordon around the mortuary.
    "The neighbourhood was in a state of great excitement on Friday, and a strong force of police has been put around the mortuary. The body has been locked up in the mortuary, and, with the exception of the police surgeon and the police who stripped the body, no one is allowed inside."

With Chapman, among some general gripes about the police from the press, we find that the mortuary door was guarded.
    "On Saturday they shut the reporters out of the mortuary; they shut them out of the house where the murder was done; the constable at the mortuary door lied to them; some of the inspectors at the offices seemed to wilfully mislead them; they denied information which would have done no harm to make public, and the withholding of which only tended to increase the public uneasiness over the affair."

The body of the victim, one way or another, was under guard. Not left unattended.
    Last edited by Wickerman; 07-23-2015, 01:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hunter
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello Harry. thanks.

""Hack and mangle job". That's just like, your opinion, man. There was still a degree of skill evinced in the Eddowes's murder, Lynn."

Not according to the coroner and medical examiner.
    What about Dr. Brown?

Leave a comment:

• Errata
    replied
    Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    Hello Jon,

Interesting. I never heard that before. Can you cite to anything to confirm that?

c.d.
    I think I've heard that too. In context of a discussion with the esteemed Trevor Marriot about Annie Chapman being left outside the door unattended or not? This was like when I first joined, so I have no idea why I remember it. I just really think I do. Possibly involving press or other bribes to step away and let someone look at her? He might know what I'm talking about. Or if I'm making this up entirely.

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    quatified logic

Hello (again) CD.

"My comment was directed at Lynn. He thinks all of the victims were out selling magazine subscriptions rather than soliciting."

Not so. Polly and Annie--by their own words--were soliciting.

But, once again, I refuse to make the illogical leap from the existential quantifier to the universal. So should you.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    inventory

Hello CD. Thanks.

What I DO find hard to believe is that an inventory of her internal organs was kept--especially given the hacked up condition of her body. Recall that Polly was examined subsequent to Annie--just to check.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    coroner

Hello Harry. thanks.

""Hack and mangle job". That's just like, your opinion, man. There was still a degree of skill evinced in the Eddowes's murder, Lynn."

Not according to the coroner and medical examiner.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Hello Jon,

Interesting. I never heard that before. Can you cite to anything to confirm that?

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Hello Lynn,

It's hard to believe that only one single person (i.e., the kidney taker) would handle or view the body from the time she was brought in until she was placed in the casket for burial. Don't you think such an action would be noticeable by the other employees in the mortuary?

c.d.
    I was under the impression it was customary for a police constable to stand by the body from when it arrived at the mortuary until the inquest was concluded.
    The body is evidence after all.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Hello Harry,

My comment was directed at Lynn. He thinks all of the victims were out selling magazine subscriptions rather than soliciting.

I think that it is quite possible that Kate had been soliciting earlier and met her killer then. I have always wondered where she got the money for her drinks. So I think it possible that later that evening she met up with him again and met her fate.

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• c.d.
    replied
    Hello CD. Thanks.

Anyone at the mortuary. It was much more conducive to such an activity compared to the Whitechapel facilities.

Cheers.
    LC
    Hello Lynn,

It's hard to believe that only one single person (i.e., the kidney taker) would handle or view the body from the time she was brought in until she was placed in the casket for burial. Don't you think such an action would be noticeable by the other employees in the mortuary?

c.d.

Leave a comment:

• Hunter
    replied
    The Golden Lane mortuary was also under more regulated control.

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    Why would any of the victims have concerned themselves with the times of the beats unless they were engaging in some criminal activity like prostitution?
    Isn't that exactly what Eddowes was doing that night?

Would he undertake such an enterprise in hopes of being lucky time-wise?
    You could say that about anything he did with the victim.

Because it was done carefully--not like the rest of the hack and mangle job.
    "Hack and mangle job". That's just like, your opinion, man. There was still a degree of skill evinced in the Eddowes murder, Lynn.

Pure speculation.
    We have a woman who's been ripped open and had her innards pulled out. Speculative is believing this was done by someone other than her killer.

And I disagree. But your version is more interesting--almost romantic.

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    facilities

Hello CD. Thanks.

Anyone at the mortuary. It was much more conducive to such an activity compared to the Whitechapel facilities.

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• lynn cates
    replied
    romantic

Hello Harry. Thanks.

"What makes you think the assailant knew the times of the beats, and not Eddowes?"

Would he undertake such an enterprise in hopes of being lucky time-wise?

"Why do you doubt if the killer took the kidney?"

Because it was done carefully--not like the rest of the hack and mangle job.

"Whoever killed Eddowes was a fast operator, not only to remove one internal organ but slice up her face, as well. Why wouldn't he have been able to cut out another trophy while he was at it?'

Pure speculation.

"For what it's worth, I think the Lusk letter was probably genuine, and that might've been his motivation for stopping to take a second organ."

And I disagree. But your version is more interesting--almost romantic.

Cheers.
    LC
    Last edited by lynn cates; 07-22-2015, 12:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X