Why the Gap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the Gap?

I am sure this has been raised before but I will ask again. Why were there no murders in October 1888?

How do we explain this hiatus?

What do people think happened?
    Best wishes,

Tristan

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post
    I am sure this has been raised before but I will ask again. Why were there no murders in October 1888?

The killer was out of the country during that period

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

The killer was out of the country during that period

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
      I might have know you would say that Trevor! I all fairness it is a very reasonable suggestion.
      Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

I might have know you would say that Trevor! I all fairness it is a very reasonable suggestion.
        Possibly spooked after the double-event? Kept a low profile as he thought he was seen (the sighting by "the City P.C. who was on a beat near Mitre Square")?. That could also be the reason his next victim was murdered indoors.

Comment

Partly I'm with Trevor, he was out of the country.JTR was a visitor, although he knew the area.Partly, in October,maybe it was the house to house searches in the District,the thousands of flyers,the additional police personnel/patrols,although useless because he was out of the country or district.Partly it was something else.
          Last edited by Varqm; 10-05-2022, 03:58 PM.
          Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
          M. Pacana

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post

Possibly spooked after the double-event? Kept a low profile as he thought he was seen (the sighting by "the City P.C. who was on a beat near Mitre Square")?. That could also be the reason his next victim was murdered indoors.
            me likey
            "Is all that we see or seem
            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

You might just as well ask why did he kill in September (the Double Event)? The answer is the same in both cases. We don't know.

c.d.

Comment

Being seen was part of it,Long,James Brown probly,that did not spook him.But I guess 2 murders at one time and the police were getting aggressive were part of it.
                Clearly the first human laws (way older and already established) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied/stole,ex. you cannot kill,rob,steal (forced,it started civil society).
                M. Pacana

Comment

I'm of the opinion this is the most over-thought aspect of the murders. I think the answer is clear:

The News 22nd October

Whitechapel swarms with police of every class. Every man will be specially urged to make unusual efforts, and warned of the fate that will overtake him on whose beat a murdered woman is found. Every dark corner and alley will hold one or two detectives. Others will be eavesdropping on the pallets of every lodging house so that the murderer, no matter how good his intentions, may be excused for postponing his crime or moving to some new neighborhood.

Openshaw letter, which I think could be genuine ties in with this:

i was goin to hoperate agin close to you ospitle just as i was going to dror mi nife along of er bloomin throte them cusses of coppers spoilt the game

There is also a reference to anyone in a wideawake being stopped and searched in October

No mystery IMO

Comment

Because he was waiting for Barnett to move out.
                    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                      Because he was waiting for Barnett to move out.
                      Part of it too.I believe in an intruder theory in MJK's case,the lurking guy seen by Sarah Lewis looking up the court,I think he was trying to get in and kill her.He must have known Kelly was without a partner.If a client the MJK murder would have been as quiet as Eddowes's,no cries.
                      But Hutch pretended he was that guy and believed blindedly.
                      Last edited by Varqm; 10-06-2022, 03:44 AM.
                      M. Pacana

Comment

It’s been suggested that the killer might have taken a piece of apron away from Mitre Square because he’d cut himself during the murder of Catherine Eddowes and that he used it to wrap around the wound. It might have been the case then that the wound became infected and put him out of action for the duration of October?

Just a suggestion to add to the list of possibles which would include all of the above.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

On his Hols?

Lost his Oyster card?
                          Last edited by mpriestnall; 10-06-2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Took off in his Time Machine?
                            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I tend to think that the murderer may have had a number of abortive attempts in October but got spooked, so did not go through with it.
                              Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Working...
                              X