From Hell Letter DECODED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    So why would his attention have been drawn to something as boring as an apparent document-separator on the fiche? Something doesn't quite add up.
    perhaps he was like whats this blank thing doing here? what is it?

Comment

So why would his attention have been drawn to something as boring as an apparent document-separator on the fiche? Something doesn't quite add up.
      Like Ginger, I read it quite undramatically and up-adding: he looked through the fiche, then, since those are pretty awful to work on, moved to the actual files. Noticing the letter while leafing through the files, he either remembered or went back and checked that the front page of the folder was on the fiche, but the letter itself not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post

To me, it sounds like he found the folder while examining the physical files, then subsequently confirmed that it was on the microfiche.

If it *was* the other way around, I'll note that microfiche isn't always the most faithful reproduction. If I saw an apparently blank sheet in an interesting archive, I'd probably ask to see the physical archive, just to be sure that there wasn't faint writing, etc, that didn't reproduce.
        Has anyone checked the microfiche archive to see if it's there? That should be easy enough to confirm if it is or is not.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post

"For deacdes the original 25 September letter was missing from the official files, which had a copy only of the facsimile. In 1987 the original was returned to Scotland Yard anonymously. It arrived in a manilla envelope postmarked Croydon, in south London. It was still attached to the original docket by the Victorian equivalent of modern transparent sticky tape. The docket was market with a number 2 and was accompanied with its original envelope, also attached to its docket, marked number 3. Clearly the historical records have been missing an important document. Where was number 1 in the series? And what was it? We can reveal for the first time the following letter, discovered late in 1988 by Peter McClelland ..."

[/I]
          Hi all

What are your thoughts about what document “docket number 1” could have been (if it wasn’t the Sep 17 letter)?

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

perhaps he was like whats this blank thing doing here? what is it?
            Forgive me if it's been established already, but why was he so interested in the archive anyway?
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Love how this thread has been hijacked because the OP prevaricated instead of just posting his theory.

There really is no need for the fanfare, either post your theory or don't. These attempts to "generate buzz" for your theory are worthless and only end up sidetracked.

Comment

Hi
                Must agree with Harry, I would respectfully ask the poster to cut the fanfare, and produce his theory , so that it can be discussed.
                Much appreciated Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                  Love how this thread has been hijacked because the OP prevaricated instead of just posting his theory.

There really is no need for the fanfare, either post your theory or don't. These attempts to "generate buzz" for your theory are worthless and only end up sidetracked.
                  yup. hes pulling a classic pierre!

Comment

Forgive me if it's been established already, but why was he so interested in the archive anyway?
                    I don't know sam. aren't a lot of people interest in the ripper archives?

Comment

I don't know sam. aren't a lot of people interest in the ripper archives?
                      Maybe, but surely not on a casual basis, and not to the extent of going to the Public Records Office to trawl through the archives. There must have been a reason why he went to the trouble of doing so, and I'd be interested to know if that reason has been established.
                      ​​​
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

yup. hes pulling a classic pierre!
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Maybe, but surely not on a casual basis, and not to the extent of going to the Public Records Office to trawl through the archives. There must have been a reason why he went to the trouble of doing so, and I'd be interested to know if that reason has been established.
                          ​​​
                          Why “must” there be a reason? Plenty of non-professional researchers look up stuff, out of interest, curiosity, happenstance.

as I recall his story, he lived or worked close to the NA, was a bit of a history buff and had the habit of going into the NA for mostly genealogy. 1988 being the Ripper centennial, he thought to have a look at the files.

not very mysterious, but you could look up his explanation, it’s here or on jtrforums.

Comment

Originally posted by phantom View Post

Hi all

What are your thoughts about what document “docket number 1” could have been (if it wasn’t the Sep 17 letter)?
                            Cover letter/explanatory telegram from Tom Bulling or Central News?

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

Why “must” there be a reason? Plenty of non-professional researchers look up stuff, out of interest, curiosity, happenstance.
                              Very few people would go to the National Archive and plough through hundreds of microfiche images on a whim. It's just as well for us, then, that someone found this ground-breaking letter on just such a visit.
                              as I recall his story, he lived or worked close to the NA, was a bit of a history buff and had the habit of going into the NA for mostly genealogy. 1988 being the Ripper centennial, he thought to have a look at the files.
                              Thanks. That's all you needed to say, really, and I could have done without that "Why must there be a reason?" bit. There are usually reasons for most things.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Im not so quick to dismiss this letter. perhaps the ripper wrote it and the police basically ignored, so he wrote to the press agency next to get his attention.
                                Instead of appearing to crib from dear boss and from hell perhaps its because its the same man who wrote all-hence the similarities. I also find the winters coming letter of 1896 very interesting too, and similar.

also, I worked at the university archives in college, and when customers came in and examined old records, they came into a special room, where they could not have any kind of parcel, notebooks, folders etc. (for various reasons including theft and tampering). had to put on gloves and were watched by staff.

I imagine this would be the same kind of thing in this case no? how could he have snuck it in? does anyone know the procedure? the microfiche thing also kind of bolsters his story.

Comment

Working...
                                X