Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 5 Questions Would You Like Answered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

episteme

Hello David.

"She was a poor and young prostitute bogged down in the East End for already several years in 1888, where she was known as MJK.
    That we know. . ."

Do we indeed?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      "She was a poor and young prostitute bogged down in the East End for already several years in 1888, where she was known as MJK.
      That we know. . ."

Do we indeed?

Cheers.
      LC
      Hi Lynn

Yes we do know that. But perhaps Mrs Phoenix was part of the conspiracy ?

Cheers

Comment

1. Were any of the policemen who offered a guess at the identity of the Ripper correct?

2. At what exact time was Annie Chapman killed?

3. Why did Charles Lechmere call himself Cross when speaking to the police?

4. Which was the final victim of Jack the Ripper?

5. Who authored - or co-authored - the Swanson marginalia?

All the best,
        Fisherman

Comment

I thought you had already answered question 3, Fish.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
            What exactly do we call the "Kelly mystery" ?

Her real name could well be O'Hara, Williams or... Kelly, but does it matter that much ?

She may have gone to Paris, or not. Again, does it matter so much ?

She was a poor and young prostitute bogged down in the East End for already several years in 1888, where she was known as MJK.
            That we know, and it matters more than her unascertained trip to France, or her birthplace.

Not to say I'm not willing to know more, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over the so-called "Kelly mystery".
            I agree. There is no mystery here...not even a hint of a mystery. No Fenians; no conspiracies; nothing.

Mike
            huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
              2. At what exact time was Annie Chapman killed?
              And Kelly as well for me. Oops - I guess that makes 6 questions.
              This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

1) Where is the photograph of Montegue Druitt's dead body from the Thames Police file? Where is a full inquest report on Druitt's death?

2) (In honor of Jonathan) Will more evidence crop up supporting the possibility that Macnaughten wrote his comments to protect the Druitt family from the shame of Montie being the Ripper?

3) Was Doc Tumblety actually involved in the Lincoln Assassination conspiracy at all? I know that is not technically a "Whitechapel" issue, but I am curious about it. By the way, as Tumblety was involved as a doctor connected somehow to McClellan's staff in 1861-62, he had to know Surgeon General Hammond, who was mentioned on another thread on this board.

4) What were the opinions of Bury, Deeming, Cream, Chapman, Mrs. Pearcy, and H.H.Holmes regarding the Whitechapel killer? Could his apparent successful eluding of arrest, trial, condemnation, and execution have spurred some of them on even more? Reason for this query: In 1889, during the trial of Mrs. Maybrick (and I won't even deal with her husband here), future murderer James Canham Read wrote a letter to the press condemning the prurient interest of the newspapers in discussing the adulterous affairs of this woman (Read's own adulterous affairs led to his killing Florence Dennis in 1894, and his own trial and execution).

5) Why are so many damned celebrities being pushed for the role of Ripper?!! First an English painter of note (Walter Sickert). Then a greater painter of tragic dimensions (Vincent Van Gogh). Then one of the most popular of Engish novelists/fantasists (Lewis Carroll). Then an English poet (Francis Thompson). Also a potential King of Great Britain (Prince Eddy), the Royal Physician (Sir William Gull), and Eddy's tutor, the writer and son of Mrs. Maybrick's mad judge (James Kenneth Stephen). Whose next: Claude Monet or Henri Toulouse Lautrec, or Paul Gauguin? Mark Twain or Henry James (for a real "Portrait of a Lady of the Evening)? President Grover Cleveland possibly (zooming on one of the new steam frigates, commanded by Commodore Dewey, secretly to England)? Tolstoy or the future Nicholas II (all that business in the Okrana Gazette about Pedechencko was a scheme to hide the truth about the Czar's London adventures, and gave Rasputin his real ace in the hole concerning the Royal Family).

6) Who wrote the book "Of Love"? Answer: Ovid did. Whoever wrote that song did not check his literary background too well.

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                  I thought you had already answered question 3, Fish.
                  I have an intelligent guess, David. Nothing more than that.

All the best,
                  Fisherman

Comment

Little Corporal

Hello David. Thanks.

And she gave up a splendid bordello in France to return to Whitechapel?

Very well, and I am Napoleon Bonaparte.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Hullo Lynn!

Hello David. Thanks.

Cheers.
                      LC
                      You should probably get that checked out. Heh, heh.
                      Valour pleases Crom.

Comment

Hello David. Thanks.

Cheers.
                        LC
                        I don't know what you're talking about, Lynn.

Nothing that relates to my posts, in any case.

Do you mean that she really went to France, where she would have been wealthy ?

And therefore only played a role, that of a poor prostitute, when she returned to London ?

Go ahead, Lynn. It may enthrall some posters obsessed with MJK's romance and mystery.

But not me, alas.

Cheers

Comment

Henry James

Hello Mayerling.

Actually, Henry James WAS a suspect for a short time. Really.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

brandy

Hello DLDW. Thanks.

Check out the brandy? (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

mystery

Hello David. Thanks.

"It may enthrall some posters obsessed with MJK's romance and mystery."

Ah, so there really IS a mystery? Thought so.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

"MJK"s identity

For some it is simply a matter of accuracy. Nevermind that being able to verify or refute that identity could have some importance to the identity of her murderer. And what seems likely the murderer of a few other women. More correct data, clearer picture. Less chance for error.
                                Valour pleases Crom.

Comment

Working...
                                X