A Theory -The access to Mary Kelly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres your re-enactment: ...

At approximately 3:45 a man knocks on Mary Kellys door softly, perhaps also whispering her name. Diddles the cat hears this upstairs. Mary Kelly wakes from her drunken sleep and goes to the door and opens it to what seems like a shadow in blinding light to her. She utters "oh-murder" in recognition as the figure moves closer, and in doing so, blocks some of the light from the gas lamp. She leaves the door and heads back to the bed, leaving the door ajar for the visitor. He closes the door behind him. He doesnt touch the latch, yet.

She has crawled back into bed, and slipped over to the right side, on her right side, facing the partition wall. She easily slips back into a semi sleep while the man removes his coat and gloves perhaps, but she is secure in her belief that he will be joining her in bed shortly. She drifts back off, sheet up to her face. The man has moved to the bed, and is on the left side of it, one knee on the bed. When he is sure she is asleep he moves across using that knee on the bed, he places a knife at the farthest point he can reach....with his left hand......and he presses the knife inward and pulls it back across her throat, which was still partially covered with the sheet. She awakes immediately but has a severed windpipe and she is bleeding profusely from the severance of the arteries. Her hands flail up to the mans face, he slashes them back and then slashes at her shaking face, at times under the sheet...pinning her midsection by sitting astride her now. She weakens very quickly, and as she does he, backhanded, runs the knife from the left of her throat to the right side applying great pressure. The assurance cut. He dismounts. Rolls up his sleeves. Places his knife on the night table, he then turns and moves Mary to the middle of the bed and splays her legs.

Then, as if recalling some recently read gruesome gothic literature, he commences to cut and slice, and extract and place, and peel, and strip, and likely stab, and snap bone, .....and he places bits and pieces here and there.

Her heart he keeps. He's a monster, but a sentimental one. He was fond of her. Places her arm back over her body, tilts her face so she can see him out the door, and he looks at her as he sets the latch off and walks out into the courtyard. Mary Ann Cox hears his boots.

(Scene).

Cheers all
    Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
      Hi Michael,

If Blotchy wanted her dead, why would he not just do the job himself if he had the knife? I don't deny it's possible but I don't see why there's a need for this added complication.
      Hi BW,

Because Blotchy's role is that of her protector that evening. He makes sure no-one talks to her about anything he doesnt want talked about. Keeps men from approaching her, steers her away from others if she gets free with her words. Once she is hammered she is vulnerable.

He makes sure she is sleeping peacefully and drunk, then leaves. Hes just a hired thug, the cutting is left up to someone who ordered or wanted her dead. Someone she would let into her room even when sleeping off a bender.

Cheers BW
      Michael Richards

Comment

• Hi Michael,

I'm guessing you favour Barnett in that scenario? It's a possibility. I just think the most likely explanation for MJK (assuming it was her) crying "Oh murder" - on the night of her murder - is that she was in the process of being murdered.

I'm not trying to be difficult - it just seems the more likely explanation.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Alternatively, like Lynn, he could favour an Irish connection, (which isn't that outlandish, as some press reports suggest post-mortem murder site visits by members of the Irish Constabulary)...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• column A; column B

Hello Jon. Thanks. The relevance is that if he is clothed, that is suspicious; if he is unclothed and showing a knife, that is suspicious.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• fit

Hello Abby. Thanks.

But I wonder if it would fit? If was rather large.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• accoutrement

Hello Greg. Thanks.

"I would imagine a mysterious parcel wouldn't be a welcome accoutrement during the reign of terror"

That's the one!

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                  Hey folks,

Once again its important to use the facts when making any suppositions, and the facts are that Mary Kelly is never accused by anyone, nor does she admit herself, to taking ANY clients into her room in Millers Court.
                  Whoa, not so fast Michael.

Nowhere do we read Mary entertained on the streets.

We do know (via Prater) what some of those rooms were used for.
                  We also know the story offered by Barnett, and corroborated by Mrs Carthy, that Mary had led a Gay life in Knightsbridge.
                  The chemise she wore must be one of the few items of clothing she managed to retain from those high society days, it was perhaps the remnants of her 'tools of the trade'.

Mary Kelly apparently was accustomed to entertaining indoors. In a room for that purpose, like she had done in Knightsbridge.

Mary certainly appears to have tried to leave this life behind when she met Joe Barnett. However, once he left and she had no means of income and an empty room in a cul-de-sac known for use by prostitutes it is a foregone conclusion what resource she could fall back on and where she could ply her trade.

Why on earth would she perform 'quickies', in dark allys, on cold wet nights, when she is a seasoned performer with all the comforts of home nearby.

Really Michael, it doesn't take much thinking about does it.

Regards, Jon S.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                    Hello Jon. Thanks. The relevance is that if he is clothed, that is suspicious; if he is unclothed and showing a knife, that is suspicious.

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Hello Lynn.

Aren't you assuming he would pull a knife before she was out cold?

The ecchymosis 'may' indicate Mary was choked which would be consistent with some of the previous victims. Can you really imagine any of the victims ever seeing a knife? - wouldn't they have screamed their heads off?

It was a common mystery in other cases why there was no noise, the killer appears to strike in silence. How is he going to achieve this by brandishing a knife in their face?

Regards, Jon S.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                      Hello Lynn,
                      If Mary was killed by the Ripper, it goes against the grain to suggest, that he kept his patience long enough for a Victorian woman to disrobe.
                      Not sure why the Ripper would have to be impatient. If he existed, he waited weeks, months sometimes, between kills. And he may well have gotten a thrill out of pretending to be a regular client for a while before striking - especially indoors where he doesn't have to worry about when the police patrol comes by again.

Comment

• Hi Damaso Marte,
                        I can see your point , however, if we take the disturbance heard in Brady street, [ possible Nichols being assaulted] the apparently sudden movement on Chapman in the backyard of number 29, the vicious attack witnessed on Stride, the quick despatch of Eddowes , and a possible oral history account, of the apparent killers manner, ie,' when walking to Kelly's room, using Mary's,alleged words ,''All right love , don't pull me along''. we could have someone lacking in patience.
                        Regards Richard.

Comment

• Whence?

Hello Jon. Thanks.

"Aren't you assuming he would pull a knife before she was out cold?"

Not at all. My problem lies with "pull a knife." From whence would he pull it? From under his coat? Very well. But in that case he is standing there with his coat on. Suspicious.

"Can you really imagine any of the victims ever seeing a knife? - wouldn't they have screamed their heads off?"

Indeed. But these ladies were all clothed.

"It was a common mystery in other cases why there was no noise, the killer appears to strike in silence. How is he going to achieve this by brandishing a knife in their face?"

Quite. But, again, whence came it?

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• "I've been waiting, . . ."

Hello Damaso. Not a question of impatience. It is a question of "MJK" standing for 3-5 minutes disrobing whilst her assailant stands there, fully clothed with coat, waiting for events to transpire.

She must NOT become suspicious.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

Not at all. My problem lies with "pull a knife." From whence would he pull it?

From under his coat?
                              Quite. But, again, whence came it?
                              Hello Lynn.

Our first problem is, what kind of knife?

A clasp knife would fit in his pocket. The knife identified in earlier murders with a 6-8 inch blade, thereby being in full a length exceeding 10 inches is not likely to fit in a pocket.

Here's what one suspect was found to be carrying in his bag..

"... in it were found two pairs of scissors, a dagger and sheath, and a life preserver."

"... it was found to contain a dagger, a clasp knife, two pairs of scissors, and two life-preservers."

Funny how the contents of the same bag can differ in the press reports nevertheless, this character was carrying an assortment of weapons in his 'little black bag'.

Pick yourself up a knife with a 6-8 inch blade, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a coat with a pocket deep enough to hide such a weapon.

So, this killer choked Mary on the bed, then turned to pull his knife from his coat? draped across the chair, or from out of his bag sitting on the floor, and commenced the mutilations, or something along those lines.
                              Yet, you tell me this is difficult to envisage?

I'm still wondering, why?

Regards, Jon S.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• I don't have any difficulty envisaging a killer who has created a purpose-built pocket to accommodate a knife, Alternatively a knife in his boot or strapped to his shin. For rapid access I think I would favour concealment in his left sleeve if right-handed - or vice versa.
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X