Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fund

Hello Lechmere.

"it should be in the interests of everyone involved in this field to contribute to a fighting fund to assist with an appeal"

Hear, hear!

Shall we get up a subscription?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      Trevor

As I have said, if there's some reason you don't want to explain your reasoning, that's up to you.

But if you were in the position of someone else reading this thread, wouldn't your first instinct as a detective be to ask "How do you know that?" or "Why do you think that?"
      There is no reasoning to explain Chris and no hidden agenda as you seem to keep suggesting. The register was designed and entered in alphabetical entries with what would appear to be all special branch files which they had amassed since 1888, and as I previoulsy said some relating to files from before 1888. Clutterbuck states this and I am confirming what his opinion was.

It is quite simple these files were just sitting around and they felt the need to create more space and so they documented them gave them a referenece number and a box number where they could easily be pulled out if the need arose. They were then I imagine stored en mass somewhere.

Just to confirm what I said previous Littlechild would have had no involvement in entering the references. His involvemnet was in relation to the ledger which relate to payment paid out by Special Branch which he was directly responsible for,

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
        The register was designed and entered in alphabetical entries with what would appear to be all special branch files which they had amassed since 1888, and as I previoulsy said some relating to files from before 1888. Clutterbuck states this and I am confirming what his opinion was.
        I must have missed Clutterbuck's statement to that effect. Can you tell me where it is, please?

Comment

I must have missed Clutterbuck's statement to that effect. Can you tell me where it is, please?
          In his thesis somewhere I dont have it to hand at this time sorry.

Comment

In his thesis somewhere I dont have it to hand at this time sorry.
            Are you sure you haven't misunderstood something he wrote?

He says (p. 64) that the entries cover the period 1888 to "@1892" (meaning, I assume, c. 1892), and (p. 68) that there is a stamp on the first page with a handwritten date 20.4.88. Obviously that suggests it came into use in April 1888, not in 1894. That seems to have been Clutterbuck's own interpretation, as on p. 194 he refers to a date in December 1886 as being "apparently some two years before the Register was commenced."

He also makes (p. 70) the statement I quoted above, which suggests the entries are in chronological order, or approximately so:
            "Specific dates are rarely given but by taking an archaeological approach to what entries lie before or after a dated entry, a rough estimate of the possible date of the others can sometimes be inferred."

He does also say (on pp. 350, 351):
            "No detective officer would have been able to keep in his head all the salient facts surrounding the broader activities of extreme Irish nationalists over a period of several years. Recording it in writing was a fundamental requirement. However, once the decision to do this had been taken, a system to assist the retrieval of the information also was needed. The compilation of an index such as the Chief Constable's Register and the files to which it referred became an inevitable consequence of their operational methodology."

But I don't think there's any implication there that the register was compiled after the files. On the contrary, he's saying that both the index and the files were necessary to allow information to be retrieved, once that information was being recorded.

Comment

Hello Trevor,

Another gem...I have had it confirmed that the Churchill entry does exist and I will publish a copy of that entry later today
              Thank you Trevor. Most appreciated.

best wishes

Phil
              Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-12-2011, 03:27 PM.
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

Are you sure you haven't misunderstood something he wrote?

He says (p. 64) that the entries cover the period 1888 to "@1892" (meaning, I assume, c. 1892), and (p. 68) that there is a stamp on the first page with a handwritten date 20.4.88. Obviously that suggests it came into use in April 1888, not in 1894. That seems to have been Clutterbuck's own interpretation, as on p. 194 he refers to a date in December 1886 as being "apparently some two years before the Register was commenced."

He also makes (p. 70) the statement I quoted above, which suggests the entries are in chronological order, or approximately so:
                "Specific dates are rarely given but by taking an archaeological approach to what entries lie before or after a dated entry, a rough estimate of the possible date of the others can sometimes be inferred."

He does also say (on pp. 350, 351):
                "No detective officer would have been able to keep in his head all the salient facts surrounding the broader activities of extreme Irish nationalists over a period of several years. Recording it in writing was a fundamental requirement. However, once the decision to do this had been taken, a system to assist the retrieval of the information also was needed. The compilation of an index such as the Chief Constable's Register and the files to which it referred became an inevitable consequence of their operational methodology."

But I don't think there's any implication there that the register was compiled after the files. On the contrary, he's saying that both the index and the files were necessary to allow information to be retrieved, once that information was being recorded.
                I dont know what you are trying to prove or suggest here but all of the pages follow on from each other if they were made up at the time then there would be gaps at the ends of the pages.

The register covers the period from 1888 that is when the file referencing and indexing first started. As I said previous there is evidence to show that files opened before 1888 were also entered in the register

You interpret them how you want to obvioulsy we differ maybe you should go and see for yourself as you dont seem to want to accept anything I say or write.

I have no time for playing your games you obvioulsy have another agenda here
                Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 07-12-2011, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I dont know what you are trying to prove or suggest here but all of the pages follow on from each other if they were made up at the time then there would be gaps at the ends of the pages.
                  I think that can probably be explained by Clutterbuck's reference to "the use of the spare capacity at the back [of the register] for overflow" (p. 69). Would there need to be any provision for overflow if "all of the pages follow[ed] on from each other"?

Believe me, all I've been trying to do here is try understand to what extent these records have been searched and how they are organised - because it may be worthwhile for others to carry out more searches in them in the future.

As you consider these records are important but don't have the time to search them fully yourself, I'd have thought you would encourage interest from others, rather than being so hostile.

Comment

I think that can probably be explained by Clutterbuck's reference to "the use of the spare capacity at the back [of the register] for overflow" (p. 69). Would there need to be any provision for overflow if "all of the pages follow[ed] on from each other"?

Believe me, all I've been trying to do here is try understand to what extent these records have been searched and how they are organised - because it may be worthwhile for others to carry out more searches in them in the future.

As you consider these records are important but don't have the time to search them fully yourself, I'd have thought you would encourage interest from others, rather than being so hostile.
                    I will post sample pages of the redacted one then you can see the mammoth task facing anyone.

Comment

• Entry from register re Churchill

As promised herewith is the relevant entry from the register regarding Churchill.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Herllo Trevor,

Again, many thanks.

As I see this, it reads..

Churchill, Mr. alleged perpetrator of Whitechapel murders

Cannot quite work out the name at the end, but looks like it starts with C.I.
                        (Chief Inspector?) and a name starting with the letter B ?

Perhaps others see this more clearly.

best wishes

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                        Accountability? ....

Comment

• Copies of redacted pages from register

I have posted these two pages which are from the redcated register. It can clearly be seen the great difficulty in being able to assess and evaluate the contents due to the heavy redaction.

Butterworth decsribed the actions of The Metropolitan Police as an act of historical vandalism in this redaction process. I could not agree more.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Are you saying that they redacted the ORIGINAL!!

Phil

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil H View Post
                              Are you saying that they redacted the ORIGINAL!!

Phil
                              No but they might as well have

Comment

• Well as long as the original exists unaltered and in relatively pristine shape then no overall harm done. It remains to be seen at some future point.

Frankly, I don't see where the reference to "historical vandalism" comes in, unless the original was involved.

Phil

Comment

Working...
                                X