Special Branch Register and Ledger-decison Notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilson

Hello All. Say, would Belfast do as well as Bushmills? There was a lad named Wilson--Northern Irish--who was mistaken for JTR.

Try this

Could be?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Hello Lynn,

That's interesting.. I was just looking at this when you posted. Its an old photo of Carrick Hill in the late 1800's...where he was arrested.
      7th pic down. I think the site/photo is copyrighted, otherwise I'd have posted it

best wishes

Phil

Belfast History, History of Belfast Streets and Belfast Districts, Pictures and history of the early days of the Shankill Road,Ardoyne, Ligoniel, Ballymurphy photographs and films, Springfield Road p
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

lovely

Hello Phil. Lovely photos. Thanks.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

stores

Hello All. Found this in "The Echo" August 22, 1896. Seems that Bushmills had stores located in Belfast.

Case closed?

Cheers.
          LC
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Lynn,

Indeed, this looks quite possible.
            Thank you for finding the Echo clip. Well done.

best wishes

Phil
            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

gratias ago tibi

Hello Phil. Thanks.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

“Yes, that's what I suggested above. Maria suggested the same thing.”Sorry Chris I didn’t read all the posts thoroughly enough – but that is indeed how it seems to read.

I don’t think that the use of inverted commas would be used if the reference was to the distillery – it doesn’t seem to fit to my mind,

The Belfast Wilson who was arrested would hardly have attracted the attention of Special Branch – unless something else surfaced about him once he was in custody.

Under Jack the Ripper is part of the date reproduced? If so it looks like 11.11.94 perhaps?

Comment

Hello Lechmere,

Well, as far as a date is concerned, I doubt it, personally, as the entries are only one line affairs, and anything below that line is a reference to something else, another entry I would imagine?

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                    “Yes, that's what I suggested above. Maria suggested the same thing.”Sorry Chris I didn’t read all the posts thoroughly enough – but that is indeed how it seems to read.

I don’t think that the use of inverted commas would be used if the reference was to the distillery – it doesn’t seem to fit to my mind,

The Belfast Wilson who was arrested would hardly have attracted the attention of Special Branch – unless something else surfaced about him once he was in custody.

Under Jack the Ripper is part of the date reproduced? If so it looks like 11.11.94 perhaps?
                    The entries from the register which i have posted are from different parts of the register and may have been entered in them when all the files were being indexed by two different people.

They do not appear in the register consecutivley. All entries in the register were entered retrospectively after 1894 of therefater.

The entries in the ledgers appear to have been entered at the time of the payments being made or as soon as practicable. These cover a much wider time scale.

It appears that up until the time he retired Littlechild was responsible fo keeping these ledgers and filling them in. After he retired the handwriting changes.

Comment

The two entries you reproduced seem to have different handwriting - look at the word 'suspect'.

Comment

Hello Lechmere,

I don't quite understand your point... if the entries are made by different people (as Trevor has pointed out), entered retrospectively, when "cataloging" the files into one overview (the ledgers), both before Littlechild retired and after he retired.. what would be so unusual in that? Just two different people making the entries. There are over 30,000 entries in there.. that would take quite a time I would imagine... years infact.

best wishes

Phil
                        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Actually, it looks to me as the same handwriting (Littlechild's?) at different time frames. Only the initial “s“ is different in “suspect“, which can be explained by the fact that in the second case the writing/wording is closer together. I frequently deal with 19th century handwriting in my field of research, and I see discrepancies like this by the same hand all the time. Even in my own handwriting it might happen that I use a different form for, say “r“, or other letters in the same document. We should really compare the handwriting in these 2 SB ledgers entries with the original Littlechild letter. Where is SPE? :-)
                          About 11.11.94 as an addition pertaining to the case's date I wondered too, but there are lots of numbers in these 2 entries.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                            Actually, it looks to me as the same handwriting (Littlechild's?) at different time frames. Only the initial “s“ is different in “suspect“, which can be explained by the fact that in the second case the writing/wording is closer together. I frequently deal with 19th century handwriting in my field of research, and I see discrepancies like this by the same hand all the time. Even in my own handwriting it might happen that I use a different form for, say “r“, or other letters in the same document. We should really compare the handwriting in these 2 SB ledgers entries with the original Littlechild letter. Where is SPE? :-)
                            About 11.11.94 as an addition pertaining to the case's date I wondered too, but there are lots of numbers in these 2 entries.
                            Littlechild would not have been involved in cataloging of the register he had retired when they were created in 1894. The entry refers to a file he created sometime between 1888-1893.

Doesnt seem to be a file on Tumblety or any mention by him of Tumblety being a suspect.

"TAXI FOR TUMBLETY"
                            Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 07-11-2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Oh, OK. Thank you so much for the information, Mr. Marriott.
                              Can it be that Tumblety was investigated also in connection with O'Brien and “MacGrath“ (Magrath)? Just a thought...

Also, was it you who found the reference to “Neilson of Wealdstone“ as a detective agency???
                              Best regards,
                              Maria

Comment

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                                Oh, OK. Thank you so much for the information, Mr. Marriott.
                                Can it be that Tumblety was investigated also in connection with O'Brien and “MacGrath“ (Magrath)? Just a thought...

Also, was it you who found the reference to “Neilson of Wealdstone“ as a detective agency???
                                You are clutching as straws now go and lie down in a dark room

There could be a connection to the three known russian activists "Rissof" "Kissof" and "Pissanovich"

Comment

Working...
                                X