Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    I'm not sure about the bulk of Hopkins films at the start of his career. Aside from his Richard the Lion - Hearted in "The Lion In Winter" where were the bulk of his films prior to the 1990s (when he got the Oscar for "The Silence of the Lambs")?

Jeff
    He started in 1967 with a short film called "The White Bus" in the UK, did "Lion in Winter" next, followed by five more films that were either British or internationally produced, including "Young Winston", but by the late 1970s seemed to be alternating between US films or UK & US or international co-productions. I would mention "The Remains of the Day" as a very British film.
    L
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

• I remember seeing David McCallum in the series "The Invisible Man" - or at least sometimes seeing him.

Comment

• Some more from me:

Michael Caine
        Alastair Sim
        Patrick Macnee
        Michael Gambon
        Ralph Fiennes
        Bob Hoskins
        Mark Rylance
        Tom Hiddleston
        Ben Whishaw

Love,

Caz
        X
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
          I recently watched City Streets the Gary Cooper gangsta flik from 1931. I'm always finding new gangster movies from 1931 I havent seen yet. 1931 is the single most important year in film history. The gangster picture is the ultimate movie. The Talking picture was fresh, raw and frankly everything after 31 is somewhat of imitation. Movies slowly became more and more of a joke until today when they are just pure garbage. It's incredible how many amazing gangster movies were banged out in 1931. Little Caesar, Public Enemy, Scarface, Quick Millions, City Streets. I'm waiting on a copy of The Secret Six, also from 31 which has Wallace Beery playing Capone. Does anybody know any other early gangster flicks that I might have missed? I've seen all the cagney and robinson ones. I learned about Quick Millions on here and it's awesome! Outside the Law and Widow from Chicago are really dope too and they predate the 31 flicks
          If I can think of any (especially Cagney - I know he's your favorite) I'll let you know. There is his film "Taxi" which is about taxi drivers and taxi owners being muscled on by David Landau's gang of thugs, but I think it was 1932. "Taxi" is famous because in it Cagney (bread in the melting pot of Manhattan Island) spoke Yiddish in one scene.

By the way Rocky, I don't know where you reside, but this summer there is an off-Broadway musical called "Cagney". It's in previews right now.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
            He started in 1967 with a short film called "The White Bus" in the UK, did "Lion in Winter" next, followed by five more films that were either British or internationally produced, including "Young Winston", but by the late 1970s seemed to be alternating between US films or UK & US or international co-productions. I would mention "The Remains of the Day" as a very British film.
            L
            Besides "The Remains of the Day", I believe Merchant-Ivory also did Hopkins' film of E. M. Foster's "Howard's End".

Jeff

Comment

• A couple more :

Noel Coward
              Michael Wilding

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                Besides "The Remains of the Day", I believe Merchant-Ivory also did Hopkins' film of E. M. Foster's "Howard's End".

Jeff
                "The Remains of the Day" is my favorite Hopkins film. Just excellent on every level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  A couple more :

Noel Coward
                  Michael Wilding

I noticed long ago that Liz Taylor looked so happy on all her photos with hubby, Michael Wilding. A pity that didn't last, but they certainly made a handsome couple.

Comment

• Hey Mayer, thanks I've seen every Cagney flik except steal anything small (I have a copy though) and gallant hours. I forgot to mentiin smart money from 31! As for plays, and biopics of my idols I can't stand them but m glad cags is getting some love for sure! I'm also glad he's not trendy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      A couple more :

Noel Coward
                      Michael Wilding
                      Just saw Wilding in "The Scarlet Coat" (about the Benedict Arnold Treason plot) on last Independence Day (on the Turner Classic Channel). He plays Major John Andre, and while Cornel Wilde is the hero of the film, and the lead villain is George Sanders, it is Wilding's movie - his role is the one we end up sympathizing with. Anyone who studies that incident knows that while he was deeply involved in the plot, Andre was a British patriot, and got snared by ill-luck in that he was captured while Arnold got away. He was made into a example of what "spies" would suffer, by Washington (although Washington himself regretted it - he hoped Arnold would be returned for Andre). There is a memorial to Major Andre in Westminster Abbey.

For anyone interested, Robert Douglas played Arnold. Douglas, a good actor usually playing villains (he is the obnoxious architecture critic "Tuomy" in "The Fountainhead") must have read up on his role, as he make sure to properly limp in the part - Arnold, in his earlier American patriot days, was twice wounded in the same leg at the second battle for Quebec, and at Saratoga. No actor was assigned to play the role of Sir Henry Clinton, the British Commander in New York City. No actor plays Washington either (as he does not appear in the movie). The head of Andre's court-martial trial (John Dehner) is playing General Nathaniel Greene.

Jeff
                      Last edited by Mayerling; 07-18-2016, 02:45 PM.

Comment

• Hey Mayer have u seen the finger points 1931(

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
                          Hey Mayer have u seen the finger points 1931(
                          No I haven't. In fact this is the first time I heard of the title. It's a good film?

Comment

• havent seen it but it's a gangster pic from 31, clark gable plays a reporter i think...been wanting to see it for a while

Comment

• just saw Bad Company 1931. Add this to the list of 31 gangster classics. Ricardo Cortez is disturbing as an Al Capone like mob boss. He lives in that same world as Rico, Tommy Powers and Tony Camonte. Highly Recommended. I also saw Manhattan Melodrama from 1934. Always disliked Gable but this film made me like him as a gangster. I read about Dance Fools Dance from 31 starring Gable. It sounds very promising with the imdv summary referencing the St. Valentines Day Massacre. Can;t wait to see this one!

Comment

• Saw some great gangster flicks today. Now I'll Tell 1934 with Spencer Tracy playing Arnold Rothstein. A cool picture a little sappy since it's post hayes code. The Secret Six from 31 is pretty raw, Slaugterhouse Scorpio (Wallace Beery) is the main character supposed to be like Capone. It's similar to little caesar but with a more pronounced good guys angle. Gable plays a reporter who is undercover for the cops. Thunderbolt from 1929 is pretty raw, George Bancroft is a badass gangster and it's pretty good for it's time, real fast paced. Also saw Dancers in the Dark which has George Raft as a gangster Louie who hangs out in a dance hall. This ones ok a little cheesy but the main story centers on a love story between a sax player and a dancehall girl. I watched the Pay Off from 1930 which is pretty silly as well but I just love anything from that time with mobsters. In this one the mobsters have that transatlantic accident which makes it pretty goofy

Comment

Working...
                                X