Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhhh good ole' In The Wake of the Bounty.....with Mr. Flynn....was an Australian film I believe ( early 30's if memory serves)....Now I have to say again, one of my prized possessions is my Errol Flynn Autograph.....yep I am a big nerdy autograph collector....and my Flynn is one of my favorites....but remember I am an honorary Aussie (Just ask my Aussie twin GUT)....
    Classic Hollywood is one of my autograph obsessions (Boxing and classic Baseball being the other two main ones...I do collect other stuff as well but mostly those three categories) are there any other Autograph collectors out there......

Steadmund Brand
    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
      Ahhh remember I am an honorary Aussie (Just ask my Aussie twin GUT)....

Steadmund Brand
      Drinking Fosters does not count.
      Even NSW has fallen for that one
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
        Drinking Fosters does not count.
        Even NSW has fallen for that one
        But you haven't seen the photos.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post
          About 17 minutes survives.
          Largely filmed in Heidelberg,Melbourne.

Burke Road Bridge on the border where I went swimming as a child.
          Photo taken ~ 21 years after the movie.
          Links malfunctioning. Just Google "Burke Road Bridge".

This is a bridge in Gut's neck of the woods

"They Died With Their Boots On" co starred an Australian.

One of the earliest Academy Award winners was filmed on which North Queensland island?
          That's not a bridge it's a real big coat hanger.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
            Ahhhh good ole' In The Wake of the Bounty.....with Mr. Flynn....was an Australian film I believe ( early 30's if memory serves)....Now I have to say again, one of my prized possessions is my Errol Flynn Autograph.....yep I am a big nerdy autograph collector....and my Flynn is one of my favorites....but remember I am an honorary Aussie (Just ask my Aussie twin GUT)....
            Classic Hollywood is one of my autograph obsessions (Boxing and classic Baseball being the other two main ones...I do collect other stuff as well but mostly those three categories) are there any other Autograph collectors out there......

Steadmund Brand
            Wow, you got a Flynn autograph. I have a Robert Taylor. I also managed to get one of George Arliss and one of Lana Turner.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
              Wow, you got a Flynn autograph. I have a Robert Taylor. I also managed to get one of George Arliss and one of Lana Turner.

Jeff
              Nice!!! I have a Lana Turner, but do not have a Taylor or Arliss!! that's awesome....

Some of my classic Hollywood are Flynn, Turner, Jimmy Stewart, Rod Steiger, Lauren Bacall, Kim Novak, Eli Wallach, Anthony Quinn, Robert Wise, Frank Capra Sr., Bob Hope, Jackie Gleason, George Burns, Estelle Taylor, Phil Silvers, Ernie Kovacs, Sid Caesar, Jonathan Winters, Steve Allen, Groucho, Zeppo, Chico and Harpo Marx (all separate pieces), Jack Webb, I have all three Boston Blackie (Chester Morris-Film, Kent Taylor- TV and Dick Kollmar- Radio!! Bit of a Boston Blackie fan as you can tell)... and way too many more, those are just some off the top of my head....Been collecting far too long hahah.. my Apt. is nicknamed " the museum" as most of what I have is framed and displayed...ever wall is covered, even the kitchen

Steadmund Brand
              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• An English ventriloquist called Ray Alan told the story of how as a very young man he'd appeared in the same show as Stan and Ollie. He was near the bottom of the bill so his room was near the top of the building. One evening there was a knock on his door and Ollie came in. Ollie asked him if he'd please sign his book, explaining that he asked all the people he worked with to sign it. The thing that struck Alan was that he himself was a comparative nobody, and yet Ollie, whose health was none too good, had walked up all the stairs with his bad legs just to get his autograph.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  An English ventriloquist called Ray Alan told the story of how as a very young man he'd appeared in the same show as Stan and Ollie. He was near the bottom of the bill so his room was near the top of the building. One evening there was a knock on his door and Ollie came in. Ollie asked him if he'd please sign his book, explaining that he asked all the people he worked with to sign it. The thing that struck Alan was that he himself was a comparative nobody, and yet Ollie, whose health was none too good, had walked up all the stairs with his bad legs just to get his autograph.
                  Don't, tell me, Rob, when Alan picked up his pen, Ollie said, 'I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to His Lordship.'

Ray's skill and years of practice make his classic routine look EASY - but it's NOT! Whilst working TWO dummies, he manages to convince us the first one is R...

Comment

• Ha! He was very good, wasn't he.

Comment

An English ventriloquist called Ray Alan told the story of how as a very young man he'd appeared in the same show as Stan and Ollie. He was near the bottom of the bill so his room was near the top of the building. One evening there was a knock on his door and Ollie came in. Ollie asked him if he'd please sign his book, explaining that he asked all the people he worked with to sign it. The thing that struck Alan was that he himself was a comparative nobody, and yet Ollie, whose health was none too good, had walked up all the stairs with his bad legs just to get his autograph.
                      It must have been around 1948 when Stan and Ollie did a tour of the British Isles that was very well received.

I just watched the YouTube video from 1986 - and it is very funny.

Jeff

Comment

Ha! He was very good, wasn't he.
                        He was.

Comment

• This talk of old actors reminds me of this: In a series called "Murder Maps", I believe still playing on Netflix, various 19th Century homicides of England are profiled. One villain is our old friend, alias George Chapman, whose wife was dying of poison in a room above the pub that Chapman was operating. Charlie Chaplin, just a lad at the time, went into the pub and asked Chapman for a glass of water. He got it but, for some reason, couldn't bring himself to drink it. Presumably, there was something about Chapman that bothered young Charlie. BTW, I love the film "Limelight" with Chaplin and Claire Bloom.

Comment

• Hi Jeff

I think it was during their 1954 tour.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aldebaran View Post
                              This talk of old actors reminds me of this: In a series called "Murder Maps", I believe still playing on Netflix, various 19th Century homicides of England are profiled. One villain is our old friend, alias George Chapman, whose wife was dying of poison in a room above the pub that Chapman was operating. Charlie Chaplin, just a lad at the time, went into the pub and asked Chapman for a glass of water. He got it but, for some reason, couldn't bring himself to drink it. Presumably, there was something about Chapman that bothered young Charlie. BTW, I love the film "Limelight" with Chaplin and Claire Bloom.

The incident is mentioned in Chaplin's Autobiography, as is his walking by the home of a family that was murdered by one Edgar Edwards, who found this a novel way of acquiring property for sale purposes. Agains Chaplin felt queasy while staring at the house (the killings had not yet been uncovered).

Chaplin, of course, played the French wife murderer "Monsieur Verdoux" in 1946, which was based on French wife murderer Henri Desire Landru.

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff

I think it was during their 1954 tour.
                                Thanks Robert, I believe you are right.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X