Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Films (lists up to participating site members)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert
    replied
    Hi Jeff

Died with their shoes on?

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    All you movie nuts, know where the first feature film was made I presume?

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Thanks Jeff didn't realise she had turned the big 1-0-0 amazing life.
    It is an interesting thing when a performer reaches such an age milestone by itself, GUT. The last one to do so (another two time Oscar winner, sadly now deceased) was Luise Reiner ("The Great Ziegfeld", "The Good Earth") who died at 102 about three years back. But also or interest is that Ms De Haviland is the oldest survivor (or sole survivor) of the leads in several movie classics. She is the last major star from "Gone With The WInd", for example, and (due to the death of Mickey Rooney two years ago, when he was in his early nineties), the last of the leads in the 1935 Warner Brothers "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (Rooney was "Puck" in that film, which is memorable because James Cagney played the role of "Bottom" - Dick Powell, one of the quartet of young lovers in it, later said he hated playing his part, because he could not understand most of what his Elizabethan English dialog meant; still he gave a good performance).

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    The Turner Classic Network named Olivia De Haviland the "Star of the Month", and as of last Friday started showing her films. Ms De Haviland, who lives in Paris these days, is the oldest living Oscar winning actress (and best actress), having won two Oscars in the 1940s for "To Each His Own" and "The Heiress". She just turned 100 years old last week. So I thought I'd make a list of her films that are memorable.

1) The Heiress
    2) To Each His Own
    3) Hold Back the Dawn (her second Oscar nominated role)
    4) Gone With The Wind (her first Oscar nominated role)
    5) Captain Blood (first film with Errol Flynn)
    6) The Adventures of Robin Hood
    7) Santa Fe Trail
    8) Dodge City
    9) The Private Affairs of Elizabeth and Essex (a.k.a. Elizabeth the Queen)
    10) They Died With Their Shoes On
    11) The Snake-Pit
    12) A Midsummer's Night's Dream
    13) Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff didn't realise she had turned the big 1-0-0 amazing life.

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    One Hundred Birthday this month!

The Turner Classic Network named Olivia De Haviland the "Star of the Month", and as of last Friday started showing her films. Ms De Haviland, who lives in Paris these days, is the oldest living Oscar winning actress (and best actress), having won two Oscars in the 1940s for "To Each His Own" and "The Heiress". She just turned 100 years old last week. So I thought I'd make a list of her films that are memorable.

1) The Heiress
    2) To Each His Own
    3) Hold Back the Dawn (her second Oscar nominated role)
    4) Gone With The Wind (her first Oscar nominated role)
    5) Captain Blood (first film with Errol Flynn)
    6) The Adventures of Robin Hood
    7) Santa Fe Trail
    8) Dodge City
    9) The Private Affairs of Elizabeth and Essex (a.k.a. Elizabeth the Queen)
    10) They Died With Their Shoes On
    11) The Snake-Pit
    12) A Midsummer's Night's Dream
    13) Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Originally posted by Aldebaran View Post
    This Casebook forum reminds me of a film that I like very much and have watched several times. It is Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt" with Joseph Cotton and Teresa Wright. This is where the life of an ordinary American family is disrupted by the arrival of "Uncle Charlie", whom the daughter of the house suspects is not a very nice guy. In the evenings, the father of the family loves to engage in a running discussion with his somewhat off-kilter neighbor, a young man. Both love mysteries and criminal cases, obviously, and are debating the best way to do away with one another--and get away with it. A very enjoyable movie and very well done, of course.

The conversations are between Teresa Wright's father, Henry Travers*, and the neighbor, Hume Cronym. Among other things they suggest are poisoned mushrooms (Cronym to Travers) and strangulation (Travers to Cronym). Cotton, who is a fugitive - possibly involved in a string of wife murders - listens with some bemused feelings to these conversations.

The screenplay for this (Hitchcock's personal favorite of his American films) was by Thornton Wilder ("Our Town", "The Skin of Our Teeth", "The Matchmaker" (basis for "Hello Dolly!"), and "The Bridge of San Luis Rey").

[*A versatile character actor ("The Invisible Man","On Borrowed Time", "Mrs. Minifer", "Ball of Fire"), Travers is best recalled playing the loveable angel-apprentice seeking his wings, Clarence, in "It's A Wonderful Life", which netted him his only Academy Award nomination.]

Jeff
    Last edited by Mayerling; 07-09-2016, 11:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aldebaran
    replied
    This Casebook forum reminds me of a film that I like very much and have watched several times. It is Hitchcock's "Shadow of a Doubt" with Joseph Cotton and Teresa Wright. This is where the life of an ordinary American family is disrupted by the arrival of "Uncle Charlie", whom the daughter of the house suspects is not a very nice guy. In the evenings, the father of the family loves to engage in a running discussion with his somewhat off-kilter neighbor, a young man. Both love mysteries and criminal cases, obviously, and are debating the best way to do away with one another--and get away with it. A very enjoyable movie and very well done, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Aldebaran
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    Did you have to bring that up?

Leave a comment:

• Magpie
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Did anyone see the recent movie-The Raven-with john Cusak as Poe?

I thought its a pretty good thriller.and I love bitter sweet endings.
    I thought that was s brilliant. The looks and feel was spot on.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Did anyone see the recent movie-The Raven-with john Cusak as Poe?

I thought its a pretty good thriller.and I love bitter sweet endings.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
    Theatre of Blood was not in the Corman Poe series, but is a Vincent Price masterpiece....The Raven is by far the funniest of the Corman Poe series....but Witchfinder General is probably the "best" as far as film goes...but I love all of them.....Masque of Red Death is also a great one where Price is particular creepy..

Steadmund Brand
    Thanks Steadmund-I need to check them out.

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    Price and John Carradine in Monster Club.....I love that film....three tales of horror, plus the two Masters linking the stories from the Monster Club....a night club for monsters.....with musical performances including one by B A Robertson ( yes the same B A Robertson who wrote The Living Years for Mike and The Mechanics!!)....very underrated film Robert, I agree!!!!

Steadmund Brand

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    One Price film that isn't often mentioned - perhaps because he only appears in linking segments - is The Monster Club. If I remember correctly this has a funny middle story by R Chetwynd Hayes.

Leave a comment:

• Steadmund Brand
    replied
    Oh I also love the Raven with Lugosi and Karloff...but not as much as The Black Cat....possibly the greatest classic horror film ever made....Lugosi at the end is simply AMAZING....really shows his acting chops...a very dark film,especially for it's time!!!

Steadmund Brand

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    My favourite Price scene has to be the wine-tasting with Peter Lorre.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X