Clear All

• JuliaH
    replied
    Pierre Rivière?

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Totally amazed how many women are on this list.
    You might also add

Harry Hayward of Minnesota - who murdered his misress Kitty Ging with two assistants, and in his confession mentioned several other previous killings that had not been solved.

Samuel Dougal, who killed one definite victim in 1899 (and was tried for it in 1903 and convicted). He may have killed two earlier wives in the 1880s.

Dr. Milton Bowers of San Francisco - supposedly (he was acquitted)killed three wives.

Robert Butler, who killed a wife, husband, and child (but was acquitted after a remarkable defense of himself in court) and later killed a man he was trying to rob.

John Owens, who slaughtered a family of a blacksmith in 1870.

Thomas Fury (Great name that!) who killed his family in 1865 or 66 - he wanted to get his figure into the Tussaud Chamber of Horrors.

Emmanuel Bartholemey - made a career of killing policemen and political opponents in France in Britain, fighting the last known duel in England (which he probably fixed against his opponent). He ended beng hanged in 1855 for killing a wealthy merchant (who he was possibly trying to blackmail) and a retired soldier who tried to stop him. Reading about him he comes across as a total villain. He had one defender: Victor Hugo writes a chapter honoring him as a French patriot who "was misunderstood" by the British in the novel Les Miserables. If one really thinks highly of Hugo, reading that idiotic chapter reduces the novelist's stature quite a bit.

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Versa
    replied
    Ratcliff Highway murders?

Might be considered a spree killer, I don't know much about the case until I get the book from mum

nice list btw and worth a bump!

Leave a comment:

• Wolf Vanderlinden
    replied
    Maria van der Linden (or Van der Linden or Vanderlinden) murdered by poison 16 to 27 people (sources vary) between 1880 and 1883 in Leiden, Holland. Another 45 - 50 victims survived.

Cool name.

Wolf.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Madam Red View Post
    New updates!

Jack the Ripper

H. H. Holmes
    Amelia Dyer
    Mary Ann Cotton
    Jane Toppan
    George Chapman
    Belle Gunness
    Joseph Vacher
    Servant Girl Annihilator
    William Palmer
    Johann Otto Hoch
    The Bloody Benders
    Thomas Neill Cream
    Thug Behram
    Delphin LaLaurie
    Burke and Hare
    Catherine Wilson
    Joseph Philipe
    W. H. Theodore Durrant
    Thames Torso Murderer
    Amelia Sach
    Annie Walters
    Jesse Pomeroy

Walter Horsford
    Frederick Deeming
    Catherine Flannagan
    Margaret Higgins
    Louisa Jane Taylor
    Henri Pineux ("Count Henri de Tourville")
    Roland P. Molineux

Thomas Piper
    Anna Zwanziger
    Joseph Briggen
    Lucretia Cannon
    Thomas Carr
    George Caraway
    Williamina Dean
    Martin Dumollard
    Gessina Gottfried
    Marie Jeanneret
    Helene Jegado
    Pierre Lacenaire
    Sarah Jane Newman
    Charles Peace
    Pierre Voirbo
    Thomas Wainright
    Alfred Warder
    Margaret Waters
    Edmund de la Pommerais
    Edward Pritchard
    Jean Raies
    Stephen Richards
    Sarah Jane Robinson
    Lydia Sherman

John Wesley Hardin
    William Bonney ("Billy the Kid")

John Bishop
    Thomas Williams
    Mary Ann Britland
    Jane Scott
    Sarah Dazley
    Jessie King

Ada Chard-Williams
    William Williams

Jean Baptiste Troppman
    Eugene Chantrelle

Thanks everyone for contributing!

Boston, you say? I live in the area, although I've never heard of him before. Definitely going to have to look into this....

My friend lives quite a bit away, so I'm still waiting for the return of my copy. XD

Thank you for your fascinating input, Jeff. <3 I really appreciate it.

I'm probably going to go through these names over the weekend and organize the list properly- ABC order, timeline, victim #, confirmed, suspected, or unknown.

Totally amazed how many women are on this list.

Leave a comment:

• DVV
    replied
    Then I don't know this book, thanks Stan.

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    I don't know for sure about translation but the author is Douglas Starr.

Leave a comment:

• DVV
    replied
    An English book or a translation from French ? Who's the author ?

Amitiés

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    Originally posted by DVV View Post
    Joseph Vacher, the French Ripper.
    I saw a new book at Borders the other day about this case entitled The Killer of Little Shepherds.

Leave a comment:

• DVV
    replied
    Joseph Vacher, the French Ripper.

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    Lee Ah Bow aka Quimbo Appo killed 3 in New York 1859-1876

Antonio Boggia killed 4 in Italy 1849-1859

Leave a comment:

• Madam Red
    replied
    New updates!

Jack the Ripper

H. H. Holmes
    Amelia Dyer
    Mary Ann Cotton
    Jane Toppan
    George Chapman
    Belle Gunness
    Joseph Vacher
    Servant Girl Annihilator
    William Palmer
    Johann Otto Hoch
    The Bloody Benders
    Thomas Neill Cream
    Thug Behram
    Delphin LaLaurie
    Burke and Hare
    Catherine Wilson
    Joseph Philipe
    W. H. Theodore Durrant
    Thames Torso Murderer
    Amelia Sach
    Annie Walters
    Jesse Pomeroy

Walter Horsford
    Frederick Deeming
    Catherine Flannagan
    Margaret Higgins
    Louisa Jane Taylor
    Henri Pineux ("Count Henri de Tourville")
    Roland P. Molineux

Thomas Piper
    Anna Zwanziger
    Joseph Briggen
    Lucretia Cannon
    Thomas Carr
    George Caraway
    Williamina Dean
    Martin Dumollard
    Gessina Gottfried
    Marie Jeanneret
    Helene Jegado
    Pierre Lacenaire
    Sarah Jane Newman
    Charles Peace
    Pierre Voirbo
    Thomas Wainright
    Alfred Warder
    Margaret Waters
    Edmund de la Pommerais
    Edward Pritchard
    Jean Raies
    Stephen Richards
    Sarah Jane Robinson
    Lydia Sherman

John Wesley Hardin
    William Bonney ("Billy the Kid")

John Bishop
    Thomas Williams
    Mary Ann Britland
    Jane Scott
    Sarah Dazley
    Jessie King

Ada Chard-Williams
    William Williams

Jean Baptiste Troppman
    Eugene Chantrelle

Thanks everyone for contributing!

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    Forgot Boston child murderer Thomas Piper.
    Boston, you say? I live in the area, although I've never heard of him before. Definitely going to have to look into this....

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
    All those I named and more are in the aforementioned The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers.
    My friend lives quite a bit away, so I'm still waiting for the return of my copy. XD

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
    I am not sure about Pierre Laceniare - he is recalled for one murder and an attempted murder that got botched (which was of a bank messanger - it was a murder for profit). He did supposedly kill a man (a nephew of the writer Benjamin Constant) in a duel about 1830 but it is a duel.

Similarly the murder of Jean Kinck, his son, and then his wife and other children by Jean Baptiste Troppman is a murder for profit, and I hesitate to consider that too - although there were time gaps in the Kinck murders.

I am glad you included Doctor Warder - the forgotten Victorian poison killer, who was once an expert witness (for Dr. Palmer, of all people) at a homicide trial.

Voirbo is also confusing - The murder of Bodace (a well-planned one if ever there was one) was for gain. He is responsible for the death (from delerium tremens) of an alcoholic suspect (Jefer?), but that killing was not planned. There is a possibility he killed a young woman at a cottage, but that has never been firmly established. His record of multiple killings is reminiscent of John Alexander Dickman - convicted of killing John Nisbet on that Newcastle train, and suspected in the death of Mrs. Luard and that moneylender.

Pritchard too is confusing. He certainly poisoned his wife and mother in law
    (for which he hanged in 1865) but that was in one long instance. He probably also killed a maid he may have gotten pregnant in 1863. But the methods are different (poison for the wife and in-law; drug the maid and let her burn to death or die of smoke inhalation).

One might also consider secret poisoner (and hanged as a wife murderer) Eugene Chantrelle, who may have killed an earlier acquaintance with a doctored luncheon in the 1870s.

A late 19th Century practitioner who may have branched out and offered his ideas to others was Arthur J. Monson of the Ardlamont Mystery. Check out the essay on him by Roughead (as well as the essay on Chantrelle).

Jeff
    Thank you for your fascinating input, Jeff. <3 I really appreciate it.

I'm probably going to go through these names over the weekend and organize the list properly- ABC order, timeline, victim #, confirmed, suspected, or unknown.

Leave a comment:

• ACuriousScholar
    replied
    I would include murders for profit, at least in some cases. It's not always clear the exact motivation for some murders. Anyways, if Burke and Hare are included, so must be the London Burkers: John Bishop and Thomas Williams. Some others that may not have been mentioned are Mary Ann Britland, Jane Scott, Sarah Dazley, Jessie King. Also Ada Chard-Williams and her husband William, although their exact number of victims is unknown.

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    All those I named and more are in the aforementioned The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers.

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    Also to my regret, I meant Lydia Sherman not Newman.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X