X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayerling
    replied
    Laceniare?

I am not sure about Pierre Laceniare - he is recalled for one murder and an attempted murder that got botched (which was of a bank messanger - it was a murder for profit). He did supposedly kill a man (a nephew of the writer Benjamin Constant) in a duel about 1830 but it is a duel.

Similarly the murder of Jean Kinck, his son, and then his wife and other children by Jean Baptiste Troppman is a murder for profit, and I hesitate to consider that too - although there were time gaps in the Kinck murders.

I am glad you included Doctor Warder - the forgotten Victorian poison killer, who was once an expert witness (for Dr. Palmer, of all people) at a homicide trial.

Voirbo is also confusing - The murder of Bodace (a well-planned one if ever there was one) was for gain. He is responsible for the death (from delerium tremens) of an alcoholic suspect (Jefer?), but that killing was not planned. There is a possibility he killed a young woman at a cottage, but that has never been firmly established. His record of multiple killings is reminiscent of John Alexander Dickman - convicted of killing John Nisbet on that Newcastle train, and suspected in the death of Mrs. Luard and that moneylender.

Pritchard too is confusing. He certainly poisoned his wife and mother in law
    (for which he hanged in 1865) but that was in one long instance. He probably also killed a maid he may have gotten pregnant in 1863. But the methods are different (poison for the wife and in-law; drug the maid and let her burn to death or die of smoke inhalation).

One might also consider secret poisoner (and hanged as a wife murderer) Eugene Chantrelle, who may have killed an earlier acquaintance with a doctored luncheon in the 1870s.

A late 19th Century practitioner who may have branched out and offered his ideas to others was Arthur J. Monson of the Ardlamont Mystery. Check out the essay on him by Roughead (as well as the essay on Chantrelle).

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    Sorry-Should be Sarah Jane Robinson not Richards.

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    Pierre Voirbo
    Thomas Wainright
    Alfred Warder
    Margaret Waters
    Edmund de la Pommerais
    Edward Pritchard
    Jean Raies
    Stephen Richards
    Sarah Jane Richards
    Lydia Newman

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    Marie Jeanneret
    Helene Jegado
    Pierre Lacenaire
    Sarah Jane Newman
    Charles Peace

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    Thomas Carr
    George Caraway
    Williamina Dean
    Martin Dumollard
    Gessina Gottfried

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    NP Jeff

Anna Zwanziger
    Joseph Briggen
    Lucretia Cannon

I have 20 more when I get the time.

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Thanks Stan.

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    Newton's The Encyclopedia of Serial Killers does list some wild west types including Bonney and Hardin.

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Forgot Boston child murderer Thomas Piper.

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    I wonder if the list should also include such wackos like John Wesley Hardin and William Bonney ("Billy the Kid"), both of whom are listed as old West gunslingers - but who are both killing men by the same method all the time: shooting.

Leave a comment:

• Mayerling
    replied
    Walter Horsford
    Frederick Deeming
    Catherine Flannagan
    Margaret Higgins
    Louisa Jane Taylor
    Henri Pineux ("Count Henri de Tourville")
    Roland P. Molineux

Leave a comment:

• Doug Irvine
    replied
    Jesse Pomeroy

Leave a comment:

• Madam Red
    replied
    Sorry, I've been away for awhile....

Jack the Ripper
    H. H. Holmes
    Amelia Dyer
    Mary Ann Cotton
    Jane Toppan
    George Chapman
    Belle Gunness
    Joseph Vacher
    Servant Girl Annihilator
    William Palmer
    Johann Otto Hoch
    The Bloody Benders
    Thomas Neill Cream
    Thug Behram
    Delphin LaLaurie
    Burke and Hare
    Catherine Wilson
    Joseph Philipe
    W. H. Theodore Durrant
    Thames Torso Murderer
    Amelia Sach
    Annie Walters

Interesting, very interesting. I would like to learn more about all these serial killers.

I think I've heard of Walters before, though. Let me go check for a mo'-

Nope, I was confusing the name with Waters.... Would known baby farmers, besides Amelia Dyer, count as serial killers?

Do Burke And Hare really count as they were in it for the money? I saw a great Black And White film about them. I think Boris Karloff was in it
    I think they would. No matter what the reason, they're still killing.
    Last edited by Madam Red; 05-19-2010, 06:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sdreid
    replied
    Thames Torso Murderer

Amelia Sach and Annie Walters

Leave a comment:

• belinda
    replied
    I didn't know there were so many serial killers around in the 19th Century :0

Do Burke And Hare really count as they were in it for the money? I saw a great Black And White film about them. I think Boris Karloff was in it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X