True Crime Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only the last two were in color.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• A Study in Terror

Just watched this on the box, had forgotten all about this first pairing of Sherlock Holmes vs. JTR. Fantastic cast though, nice to see a very young Judy Dench.

This must be the cleanest Whitechapel and most glamorous girls depicted. Even the urchins looked clean and well fed!

Comment

• It's been a long time, maybe 25 years, since I've seen that one Bob but I do remember it was good entertainment. As I recall, it had a solution similar to some other Ripper films. Judy Dench is still sexy to us old guys.
        Last edited by sdreid; 06-08-2011, 03:47 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Sadly, the actress Anna Massey died last Saturday. She appeared in many productions including, noted on this thread, Frenzy and The Man From the Pru where she played the murder victim Julia Wallace. Anna was also the daughter of famous actor Raymond Massey who was born in Canada and later became an American citizen. Rest in peace Anna.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Memories of Murder.

Its a Korean movie based on a real life case. A fantastic film.

Im not one for subtitles normally but this film I stayed with and would recommend it to anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Hinton View Post
              Just watched this on the box, had forgotten all about this first pairing of Sherlock Holmes vs. JTR.
              Unless I forgot something, I believe A Study in Terror was the first color JtR film.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Not sure if this quite qualifies as a "true crime" movie, but the film "30 Minutes or Less" is just about to come out telling the story of a pizza delivery guy fitted with a time bomb and forced to commit a bank robbery. This is directly reminiscent of a case in Pennsylvania in 2003 when a man named Brian Wells died in an explosion in those very same circumstances. This movie is not a telling of that story. In fact, it is a comedy. Can anyone say, "Inappropriate?"!!!

Comment

• Thanks for that information Kensei.

That could be inappropriate as I think the comedy about that guy who the woman let die stuck in the front of her car in her garage was. I recently watched Dahmer vs. Gacy and you could say the same about that although it's so removed from reality and not very good so your main concern is when it will end. There were some protests about the black comedy The Young Poisoner's Handbook I believe. The problem there is it's such a great movie. I think one reviewer said, you'll hate yourself for loving it.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I finally got around to seeing Changeling for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty good. I was surprised by its trueness to the case. When I first heard about it, I thought it was just one of those "inspired by" movies.

The one glaring omission was the culpability of Northcott's mother in the murders. If fact, she was totally left out of the film.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                      Superior
                      To put a rating on Changeling

Stan Reid

Comment

• Just out on DVD in the UK:

Click image for larger version

Name:	511vp7E3ocL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	662962

Made in 1949 and it's actually quite good.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                          Top 25:

25-Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986-U.S.-2:17) Loosely based on murderers Lucas/Toole

24-The Legend of Lizzie Borden (1975-U.S.-1:40) Murders of Mr. and Mrs. Borden

23-The Elegant Criminal [L' Elegant Criminel] (1990-Fr.-2:05) Murders by Pierre Lacenaire

22-The Case of Charles Peace (1949-U.K.-1:20) Case of the English killer in black and white

21-Cause Celebre (1987-U.K.-1:49) The Rattenbury murder case
                          I absolutely agree Rob. Oddly, the first time I saw the film it was playing in the wee morning hours on a religious channel.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hi Stan,

I first saw the film about ten. I don't remember much about it except Peace's escape from the train which was quite exciting. It hasn't been on t.v. since and didn't expect to see it again.

Rob

Comment

• I'll look for that DVD. There some things I don't remember about it.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hopefully it will be available in NTSC DVD Region 1 or Blu-ray Region A formats.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X