No announcement yet.

True Crime Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see there's a movie entitled Lizzie about the Borden murders due out next year. Gary Busey plays Andrew.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      The other night, I watched a 1952 movie about a serial killer called The Sniper. In the audio commentary, a chap named Eddie Muller states that the 1945 film Hangover Square is essentially a remake of The Lodger but I have never seen it listed as a Ripper inspired movie. Does anyone know anything about this production? I don't recall seeing it. A motion picture guidebook I have says its, "Similar to The Lodger".
      Hangover Square is a great film and starred Laird Cregar and George Sanders who both appeared in The Lodger and the film is also set in the Victorian era. It's not a Ripper inspired movie and the two films have no connection story wise. I would say it was more of a companion piece to the The Lodger and was only made to try and duplicate the success of The Lodger.
      Worth tracking down and is available in a box set 'Fox Horror Classics' which also has The Lodger and The Undying Monster (a werewolf movie).

Rob

Comment

• Thanks for the clue-in Rob. I also recommend The Sniper which you would swear was about Zodiac right down to the San Francisco location until you notice it was made in 1952. Almost seems like the real killer could have been somehow been inspired by the film.
        Last edited by sdreid; 11-02-2010, 01:23 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I recently came across a list of the top grossing True-Crime movies in raw dollars, that is unadjusted for inflation. Number one was Catch Me If You Can which is technically a True-Crime film but is on the margins in my view because there's no murder as a focus of the story. The next movie is American Gangster which has murders but I still don't consider it a hardcore True-Crime movie because the slayings aren't by a private individual for their own personal gain or just for killing sake. The first to meet those criteria is Changeling about Northcott at #7 then Monster at #8 about Wuornos. Next up at #10, and the first regarding and unsolved case, is Zodiac. The film listed at #11 is From Hell.

Stan Reid

Comment

I recently came across a list of the top grossing True-Crime movies in raw dollars, that is unadjusted for inflation. Number one was Catch Me If You Can which is technically a True-Crime film but is on the margins in my view because there's no murder as a focus of the story. The next movie is American Gangster which has murders but I still don't consider it a hardcore True-Crime movie because the slayings aren't by a private individual for their own personal gain or just for killing sake. The first to meet those criteria is Changeling about Northcott at #7 then Monster at #8 about Wuornos. Next up at #10, and the first regarding and unsolved case, is Zodiac. The film listed at #11 is From Hell.
            I just saw Zodiac and liked it. Pretty much historically accurate, creepy, good acting-overall a good film. it was based on the book which I also read and thought was very good.

Comment

• Yes Abby, I guess we are lucky that there are two good Zodiac movies.

Stan Reid

Comment

• The oldest true crime film I've been able to find, perhaps stretching the definition a bit, is The Execution of Mary, Queen of Scots from 1895 so 116 years for the genre.

Stan Reid

Comment

The oldest true crime film I've been able to find, perhaps stretching the definition a bit, is The Execution of Mary, Queen of Scots from 1895 so 116 years for the genre.
                  Hi Stan,

Thanks, a really good find, regardless of one's opinion as to what extent Mary's execution could be considered a crime or otherwise. We have a long and proud tradition of "offing" unwanted Monarchs over here. Maybe if we had only had the forsight to dish out the same treatment to George III we would still all be one big happy family!!!???

I hope that you may find these clips of some interest. While they are not exactly examples of true crime film, they are, in all probability THE earliest examples of FILM, period!!! They were shot in 1888!!! In my home city, Leeds!!! Also, the genious who filmed them, Louis Le Prince, would go on to disappear "under mysterious circumstance" in 1890, just as he has about to take his invention to America!!! True crime indeed???

This first example is, almost certainly, the first, or at the very least the earliest surviving example of "Film" ever taken!!! While "Horse Cycle" of 1878 can be described as, perhaps, the first "Motion Picture" as that is indeed what it was, a series of pictures in motion, the method and equipment used had much more in common with the classic "Flick Picture Books" and the saucy "What the butler saw" fairground attractions than the technology that would become "Film" or "Cinema". Where as Le Princes MKI and MkII Cameras are the direct ancestors of the film/cinema cameras of the 20th century.
                  This then is, in all probability, the very first ever film footage ever taken!!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And this is the second.

The 2nd oldest film ever made, played in diff speeds. Filmed in 1888

Here it is again, having been digitally restored for the 2005 Leeds Film Festival.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Wiki link for Louis Le Prince

And finally, poor old Mary, losing her head, from 1895

SUMMARYFrom Maguire & Baucus catalogue: Representing the beheading of Mary, Queen of Scots. A realistic reproduction of an historic scene.OTHER TITLESTitle i...

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
                  And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                  With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                  And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

• Thanks Zodiac, those are all interesting.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Roundhay is the first movie as we define it today. I believe Le Prince did make a motion picture before it that is generally called - a man walking around a corner - which may have been made as early as 1887. This however was more akin too Muybridge's work except all the cameras were assembled into one box. Roundhay was shot with just one camera.

Stan Reid

Comment

Roundhay is the first movie as we define it today. I believe Le Prince did make a motion picture before it that is generally called - a man walking around a corner - which may have been made as early as 1887. This however was more akin too Muybridge's work except all the cameras were assembled into one box. Roundhay was shot with just one camera.
                        Hi Stan,

Agreed, while "Man walking around a corner" cannot be tied down to an exact date, it it clearly, from a technological point of view, earlier than either Roundhay or Leeds Bridge. It, was shot with a camera containing 16 separate lenses, each lense taking only one picture. So this is not really a "movie", but rather, 16 pictures taken by 16 different lenses in rapid succession. It was, never the less, a vital step step forward, towards his invention of the genuine, single lense movie camera.

Best Wishes,
                        Zodiac.
                        And thus I clothe my naked villainy
                        With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
                        And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

• Yes, the series was a little jumpy because each lens viewed the subject from a slightly different angle. This wasn't that noticeable if the subject was far enough away.

Stan Reid

Comment

• If I remember correctly, one of the two women in Roundhay Garden died a couple of weeks after appearing the world's first movie. I'm not sure if there was any mystery about her death. She seemed healthy enough in the 1888 film.

Stan Reid

Comment

• It was Sarah Robinson Whitley who became the first film actor to die in 1888.

Stan Reid

Comment

The oldest true crime film I've been able to find, perhaps stretching the definition a bit, is The Execution of Mary, Queen of Scots from 1895 so 116 years for the genre.
                                Also, Burning of Joan of Arc came out the same year.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X