Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

Hi HIB,

Your list might be the closest to mine of any posted, as we both listed Blonde on Blonde, The Band, and Moondance. Others that you listed that I really like are Astral Weeks, VU & Nico, American Beauty, and Every Picture Tells a Story. I like CCR too, though my favorites by them are Willy & the Poor Boys and Cosmos Factory.
    I love all of Creedence's albums (with the possible exception of Mardi Gras), but I was trying to limit it due to space restrictions LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Like it. Another two to add to my ‘check them out’ list - Professor Longhair and New Potato Caboose. The Grateful Dead, Tom Waits and Nick Drake certain deserve to be around on top twenty’s.

Im surprised that Neil Young hasn’t made anyone’s list yet?

Is that Jesus Christ Superstar the one that I have. The original one with Ian Gillan from Deep Purple playing Jesus?
      No, I rather dislike Ian Gillan's portrayal and prefer Ted Neely's interpretation (and the movie soundtrack on the whole). I love Neil Young and if I had to put an album I would put "Live Rust" from 1978 on here. Neil was on fire for that performance! New Potato Caboose were regionally big in the East in the late 80's. They were a jam band in the vein of Phish, but I think they came before them. A lot of acts, including Dave Matthews, Government Mule, and Alice In Chains opened for them. They came to my college a LOT back then, and my girlfriend and I followed them locally when we could. If you like jam bands they're hard to beat.
      Last edited by Holmes' Idiot Brother; 06-09-2024, 12:25 AM.

Comment

The only Aussie band I have on my shelf is Baby Animals. But I have everything of them and both This Is Not The End and Shaved And Dangerous are getting regular playtime at casa Svensson

Comment

Pretty much like everything mentioned so far, bar BeeGees and Meatloaf.

Although, I'm surprised that the most "perfect album" ever recorded hasn't been mentioned, "What's going on", Marvin Gaye.

For George, I'd offer Du Pre/Barenboim's, "Elgar's cello concerto/Sea Pictures", Tallis Scolars, "Allergri Miserere" and Solti's "Ring cycle".

Plenty of Aussie bands to choose from, but I'd go Divinyls, Midnight Oil, Jet, Crowded House/Split Endz, obviously, anything Nick Cave, and even though they are terrible, I can't help liking, The Chats.

dustymiller
          aka drstrange

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post

Although, I'm surprised that the most "perfect album" ever recorded hasn't been mentioned, "What's going on", Marvin Gaye.
            Yeah, Dusty!

I was surprised that one hadn't been mentioned too.

Also Michael Jackson - Thriller.

Comment

Originally posted by Holmes' Idiot Brother View Post

No, I rather dislike Ian Gillan's portrayal and prefer Ted Neely's interpretation (and the movie soundtrack on the whole). I love Neil Young and if I had to put an album I would put "Live Rust" from 1978 on here. Neil was on fire for that performance! New Potato Caboose were regionally big in the East in the late 80's. They were a jam band in the vein of Phish, but I think they came before them. A lot of acts, including Dave Matthews, Government Mule, and Alice In Chains opened for them. They came to my college a LOT back then, and my girlfriend and I followed them locally when we could. If you like jam bands they're hard to beat.
              I’m a Deep Purple fan so I love Ian Gillan but I know that his glass-shattering parts are not everyone’s cup of tea. I’ll give the Neely version a listen though as it’s on Spotify. I just found New Potato Caboose too. A recent album called It Ain’t A Thing which I’ll have a Liston too. Government Mule are great. I’ve never seen them but I do have an album of theirs.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Perhaps surprising that Elvis Presley hadn’t had a mention yet? Or Elvis Costello for that matter?
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Elvis P had some great songs but never a great album. "This years model" was a really good album from Elvis C.
                  dustymiller
                  aka drstrange

Comment

For George, I'd offer Du Pre/Barenboim's, "Elgar's cello concerto/Sea Pictures", Tallis Scolars, "Allergri Miserere" and Solti's "Ring cycle".

Hi Dusty,

I have the first two. I like Solti but not Wagner.

Cheers, George
                    Last edited by GBinOz; 06-09-2024, 01:41 PM.
                    The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi Dusty,

I have the first two. I like Solti but not Wagner.

Cheers, George
                      Hi George,

Well done to the Aussies but it was a poor show from England. We’re not looking good at the moment. We now need healthy wins against Oman and Namibia - if we don’t get them I’d suggest disbanding the team.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I’m a Deep Purple fan so I love Ian Gillan but I know that his glass-shattering parts are not everyone’s cup of tea. I’ll give the Neely version a listen though as it’s on Spotify. I just found New Potato Caboose too. A recent album called It Ain’t A Thing which I’ll have a Liston too. Government Mule are great. I’ve never seen them but I do have an album of theirs.
                        Caboose's best work is the half-studio/half live album, Promising Traveler. Ignore the studio songs, because frankly, they suck. Caboose's strengths were it's live performances. But new single, "It Ain't A Thing" is pretty good, too.

Neeley's Jesus also hit the VERY high notes, but I feel it was done with a lot more passion; Gillan always seemed to just be showing off, IMHO. Great singer, though. I got to meet Ted Neely twice, and he was an incredibly nice guy who gave you a LOT of his personal time.

Comment

Elvis P had some great songs but never a great album. "This years model" was a really good album from Elvis C.
                          Hi Dusty,

I'm pretty much in agreement with this. I think Presley's debut and From Elvis in Memphis are good albums, but not great ones. This Year's Model is my favorite Costello album, but I think that all of his albums from 1977 to 1982 are good except Almost Blue. I like King of America too.

Comment

Originally posted by Holmes' Idiot Brother View Post

Caboose's best work is the half-studio/half live album, Promising Traveler. Ignore the studio songs, because frankly, they suck. Caboose's strengths were it's live performances. But new single, "It Ain't A Thing" is pretty good, too.

Neeley's Jesus also hit the VERY high notes, but I feel it was done with a lot more passion; Gillan always seemed to just be showing off, IMHO. Great singer, though. I got to meet Ted Neely twice, and he was an incredibly nice guy who gave you a LOT of his personal time.
                            I listened to some of JCS last night. Yeah Neeley had a great voice. I saw on Wiki that he had a long and varied career.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I listened to some of JCS last night. Yeah Neeley had a great voice. I saw on Wiki that he had a long and varied career.
                              I saw him live twice, met him once in 2006 when he was in his 60s, as Jesus in Superstar, and to everyone's amazement, his voice, though a bit rougher, was still able to hit and sustain those high notes! The audience went nuts. He's the best pure singer I have ever seen or heard, and that says a lot because my musical god is Van Morrison.

Comment

​Hi Mike,

Here's my list.

Songs from the Big Chair - Tears for Fears (1985)
                                Eye in the Sky - Alan Parsons Project (1982)
                                Discovery - Electric Light Orchestra (1979)
                                Even in the Quietest Moments - Supertramp (1977)
                                Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Morissette (1995)
                                It's My Life - Talk Talk (1984)
                                Making Movies - Dire Straits (1980)
                                A Night at the Opera - Queen (1975)
                                Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles (1967)
                                Kick - Inxs (1987)
                                Running in the Family – Level 42 (1987)

21 – Adele (2011)
                                Hopes and Fears – Keane (2004)
                                Five Live – George Michael (1993)
                                A Rush of Blood to the Head - Coldplay (2002)
                                American Idiot – Green Day (2004)
                                Thriller – Michael Jackson (1982)

Cheers,
                                Frank
                                "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
                                Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Working...
                                X