This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tab View Post

Not arguing for the sake of it, this is a genuine question. How do you feel about the national toy store chain The Entertainer being closed on a Sunday? Or the massive fast food chain in the US, Chick-fil-a, being closed on a Sunday? Both of these because of Christian beliefs?

All the best,
    Tab
    A company can open or close whenever it likes so i don’t think it’s a straightforward question. If they said that due to staffing or financial issues they had decided to close on Sundays it might be an inconvenience but there wouldn’t really be grounds for complaint; a company makes its own rules. A small store can decide if it opens 7 days a week or not or if it has a mid-week half-day closing. If I was a U.S. citizen I might say “well that’s a nuisance!” But could I complain harder (maybe even hoping for a reversal of the decision) if it was closed on religious grounds? Probably not. What would be the chances of people boycotting the store on other days to force them into opening? Extremely unlikely I’d have thought; especially in the USA.

If it was my decision I wouldn’t run anything in line with religious belief. I don’t think that anyone should suffer even an inconvenience merely because of someone else’s beliefs. That’s said, at least it’s the case that Christianity is overwhelmingly the main religion over there so maybe people aren’t bothered by the inconveniences? I do think it’s massively different if things were changed to suit a minority though.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Not arguing for the sake of it, this is a genuine question. How do you feel about the national toy store chain The Entertainer being closed on a Sunday? Or the massive fast food chain in the US, Chick-fil-a, being closed on a Sunday? Both of these because of Christian beliefs?

All the best,
      Tab
      We have to be able to distinguish the difference between a Christian country upholding Christian rules & beliefs in observing Sunday closings, as opposed to an Islamic Country upholding Islamic rules & beliefs in observing Ramadan nationwide.
      It is when these observations are imposed on the populace of a different country, that trouble begins.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

A company can open or close whenever it likes so i don’t think it’s a straightforward question. If they said that due to staffing or financial issues they had decided to close on Sundays it might be an inconvenience but there wouldn’t really be grounds for complaint; a company makes its own rules. A small store can decide if it opens 7 days a week or not or if it has a mid-week half-day closing. If I was a U.S. citizen I might say “well that’s a nuisance!” But could I complain harder (maybe even hoping for a reversal of the decision) if it was closed on religious grounds? Probably not. What would be the chances of people boycotting the store on other days to force them into opening? Extremely unlikely I’d have thought; especially in the USA.

If it was my decision I wouldn’t run anything in line with religious belief. I don’t think that anyone should suffer even an inconvenience merely because of someone else’s beliefs. That’s said, at least it’s the case that Christianity is overwhelmingly the main religion over there so maybe people aren’t bothered by the inconveniences? I do think it’s massively different if things were changed to suit a minority though.
        Appreciate the response.
        Tab

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

We have to be able to distinguish the difference between a Christian country upholding Christian rules & beliefs in observing Sunday closings, as opposed to an Islamic Country upholding Islamic rules & beliefs in observing Ramadan nationwide.
          It is when these observations are imposed on the populace of a different country, that trouble begins.
          Out if interest, what is your definition of a Christian country? Is it based on its history? Is it based on the current majority religious belief of a country? Does 'no religion' for a countries people make a difference?

​​​​​​All the best,
          Tab

Comment

Out if interest, what is your definition of a Christian country? Is it based on its history? Is it based on the current majority religious belief of a country? Does 'no religion' for a countries people make a difference?

​​​​​​All the best,
            Tab
            The extent of the public who follow a religion has no bearing on the state, who's judicial, Legal & Governmental rules and customs are based on Cristian beliefs. They do not change.

My definition, is the common definition.

As opposed to Islamic state, or Jewish state.

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post

That reminds of the Cross mob mantra and how Cross was found by a freshly slaughtered chicken.
              And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the chicken should always cross the road - to avoid the Cross slaughterman.

Love,

Caz
              X
              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I’m not suggesting a huge conspiracy but it’s difficult to see how a Tesco could expect more Muslim customers for meat than non-Muslim customers. You get non-halal meat on the shelves but the actual butchers is entirely halal. I just think that it should be the other way around. Surely it should always be the case that you go with the majority? No one would suggest that halal food shouldn’t be available in a large store like Tesco but the actual butcher should be non-halal.
                In that case, Herlock, if a considerable majority of meat consumers consist of those who don't give a flying feck how their chicken meets its Maker, plus those who will only buy halal meat, then Tesco - founded by Jacob Cohen - are going with the majority, and will not be told how best to run their business by the minority who shun their meat counter, whether it's only because they object to the sale of halal meat, or because they only eat plant-based foods.

Love,

Caz
                X

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

In that case, Herlock, if a considerable majority of meat consumers consist of those who don't give a flying feck how their chicken meets its Maker, plus those who will only buy halal meat, then Tesco - founded by Jacob Cohen - are going with the majority, and will not be told how best to run their business by the minority who shun their meat counter, whether it's only because they object to the sale of halal meat, or because they only eat plant-based foods.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  I don’t get the point. The vast majority of people that shop in Tesco are not Muslim and so don’t require halal meat. The minority who are Muslim get the butcher though. Would it be right if Tesco suddenly stopped selling pork products?
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I don’t get the point. The vast majority of people that shop in Tesco are not Muslim and so don’t require halal meat. The minority who are Muslim get the butcher though. Would it be right if Tesco suddenly stopped selling pork products?
                    Similarly, followng the recent increase in veganism, Tesco and other supermarkets have replaced a lot of vegetarian lines with completely plant-based alternatives.

I'm sure there are more vegetarians than vegans, but EVERYONE can eat plant-based, whereas vegetarian food can't be eaten by vegans.

It's not driven by concern for animals or the health of the nation.

It's all about profit.

Comment

Following on from Ms Diddles's post, and theoretically speaking, if the majority of UK shoppers were to switch to being vegan - not based on race or religion but personal preference - would you be happy for Tesco to 'go with the majority' and f**k the minority, yourself included, by reducing the range and volume of animal based products or cutting some of them out entirely?

Or would finding yourself in a minority over something you feel strongly about make a difference to how you see the world?

Love,

Caz
                      X

Comment

In two countries I know, Netherlands and Poland the vast majority of shops are shut on Sundays because of Christian beliefs. Another side I was driving around Poland one Sunday and asked my good lady why the roads where relatively quiet. She stated (and not sure if this is true) that lorry drives etc are not allowed to drive on Sundays, again for Christian beliefs.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

Following on from Ms Diddles's post, and theoretically speaking, if the majority of UK shoppers were to switch to being vegan - not based on race or religion but personal preference - would you be happy for Tesco to 'go with the majority' and f**k the minority, yourself included, by reducing the range and volume of animal based products or cutting some of them out entirely?

Or would finding yourself in a minority over something you feel strongly about make a difference to how you see the world?

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          But it’s never going to be a case of f**k the minority Caz. What I feel would be the correct position is that the butchers section should be non-halal (in line with the majority of shoppers in a non-Muslim country) but halal is fully available on the shelves within the fridges in the store ensuring that Muslim customers have full access to halal meat. Both meats are currently available within the store itself but if the customer wants a piece of meat cut in a certain way or to a certain size then this facility is only available to people purchasing halal meat.

My own world view is hardly remarkable Caz no matter how some would like to portray it. I don’t know what the level of variation of views would be from area to area across the country but it would be interesting if there was some kind of ‘exchange scheme’ because I get the impression that some people would be amazed/disappointed/disbelieving of the outlook and opinions of people where I live (and I don’t live in isolation..as the polls show) I think that if we could ensure that every single person in the UK voted (and yes, I know that can never happen) and we asked them certain questions on various subjects I think that many would be in shock.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Currently, there's a basketball player named Diaba Konaté who can't play on the French national team in the Olympics because she wears a hijab. (She wore it while playing basketball in the U.S.)

By Wickerman's definition, France is presumably a Christian nation, but the ban reflects a national ban on ALL religious symbols, including the Christian cross, in state sponsored activities.

France adheres to a very strict definition of the separation of Church and State in such matters. There is no longer any international ban on wearing the hijab (there used to be one) but the French have their own self-imposed ban.

It's possible to be traditionally a "Christian nation," to use Wick's definition, and still avoid promoting any specific religious belief on principle.

Comment

• On a similar yet different note, here in Ontario Can., one independent member of Parliament has insisted on causing friction by wearing a Keffiyeh in Parliament, she was told to leave.
                              The Speaker of Ontario's legislature is allowing politicians, staff and visitors to enter the building while wearing a keffiyeh, loosening what had amounted to a ban on the scarf, while maintaining a prohibition inside the legislative chamber.

Parliament is to be a political-free zone where members assemble to debate important provincial issues, not demonstrate political views. That headscarf represents a political statement in support of Palestinians, therefore is not permitted.
                              She can wear any other scarf of her choice.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Germany begins to wake up, enough is enough!

Germany Begin Destroying Islamic Mosques Spreading Extremism: How Germany Tackled Immigration Crisis

https://youtu.be/OkcNAWfKTIE

Mosques are also spreading extremism in the UK, the authorities are turning a blind eye, too scared to confront the racist assemblies.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X