Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by caz View Post

I'd rather be woke than a massive tosser.
    I've already met one juvenile who reduced the debate to name-calling....
    Are there any adults left in the UK?
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      My concerns come from small sections of our society who genuinely believe that we should change our ways to conform to their beliefs. We have to be fair to all which means not only ensuring that we all enjoy the same benefits of living here but we should all be subject to the laws and norms of this country. Achieving this, and we haven’t so far in my opinion, can only have a positive effect on relations and reduce any suspicions, tensions and ill feelings which may exist.

Hi Mike,

Australia is a young country, established as a penal colony. When convicts had served their time they somehow considered themselves superior to the indigenous Australians whose only crime was that they were perceived as having the temerity to occupy the King's land before his subjects arrived. My ancestors have been here for 200 years, at which stage the Aboriginals had nurtured the land for 40,000 years.

The original migrants were "ten pound pommes". Many suggested we give them twenty pounds to go back to Britain. But they were hard workers and added to the society. The next "outrage" was migration from Greece and Italy. Once again they assimilated, and the country was better for their cultural influences (and their food). There was concern regarding the immigration from south east Asia, particularly Vietnam, but once again the first generation of descendants fully adopted the culture of their adopted country.

The latest migration is from the middle east, and so far this has not matched the success of previous immigrations. It appears that the principals of the revolutions in the middle east that re-established Sharia law are being carried with the refugees who are purportedly escaping that regime, but who wish to establish that regime over the stable customs of the country to which they have fled. Australian governments have been hard on illegal refugees....some even suggest too hard, and the cost of interment is crippling. Regrettably, governments tend to use immigrants as scapegoats for their own indolence and incompetence (Labor less than others).

Having put my 75 years, not out, on the scoreboard, I hold hope for my children and grand-children's future. I survived change, including immigration, and I suppose that they will also. It should always be kept in mind that we are talking about people, not just statistics.

Cheers, George
      It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. It shall be life. - Ten Bears

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. - Bladerunner

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

• I think it’s time I left this forum. I don’t wish to be in the same room as some of vile people in here.
        Goodbye.

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post

Post of the year for me, Rookie D.

Magnificent.

Love,

Caz
          X
          Thank you Caz for your kind words.

RD
          "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

• Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post

I'm not sure Wickerman deliberately moved the goal posts, I find his last bit 'And, coming from a safe country, like France, disqualifies them from being legal migrants,' slightly untrue as I believe he means 'legal asylum seekers.'

However as regards to gaslighting - Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse where a person causes someone to question their sanity, memories, or perception of reality.

I think his posts are far from that. He is not trying to psychologically abuse anyone. Another 'woke' phrase often misused?
            Persistent misrepresentation, accidentially or on purpose IS gaslighting. the "abuse" is the result of being gaslight, not the result of "abuse" (noun vs. verb). Wickerman's persistent misrepresentations regarding what legal and illegal immigrants are alledged to get from HM such-and-so causes damage to one's perception of reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Svensson View Post

Persistent misrepresentation, accidentally or on purpose IS gaslighting. the "abuse" is the result of being gaslight, not the result of "abuse" (noun vs. verb). Wickerman's persistent misrepresentations regarding what legal and illegal immigrants are alleged to get from HM such-and-so causes damage to one's perception of reality.
              So you are saying you feel abused by Wickerman's postings? If this is the case then surely it means every time someone posts a view which someone else does not hold true then they are being 'abused' and are a 'victim.' Dear me... sorry state of affairs I must say.

'Gaslighting is a colloquialism, defined as manipulating someone into questioning their own perception of reality. The expression, which derives from the title of the 1944 film Gaslight, became popular in the mid-2010s. Merriam-Webster cites deception of one's memory, perception of reality, or mental stability. According to a 2022 Washington Post report, it had become a "trendy buzzword" frequently improperly used to describe ordinary disagreements, rather than those situations that align with the word's historical definition.'

I'm not seeing how Wickerman is manipulating anyone here, especially into questioning their own perception of reality. If you do not believe what he says then that is fine, if you do that is fine too. The clue here is 'trendy buzzword' which we all know what that really means.

Comment

So you are saying you feel abused by Wickerman's postings?
                Not at all. I feel they are disingenuous. Various people have demonstrated that some of his statements are incorrect but he has decided to stick to incorrect statements.

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
                If this is the case then surely it means every time someone posts a view which someone else does not hold true then they are being 'abused' and are a 'victim.' Dear me... sorry state of affairs I must say.
                Yes it would be a sorry state of affairs. Thank god it isn't.

Originally posted by Geddy2112 View Post
                'Gaslighting is a colloquialism, defined as manipulating someone into questioning their own perception of reality. The expression, which derives from the title of the 1944 film Gaslight, became popular in the mid-2010s. Merriam-Webster cites deception of one's memory, perception of reality, or mental stability. According to a 2022 Washington Post report, it had become a "trendy buzzword" frequently improperly used to describe ordinary disagreements, rather than those situations that align with the word's historical definition.'

I'm not seeing how Wickerman is manipulating anyone here, especially into questioning their own perception of reality. If you do not believe what he says then that is fine, if you do that is fine too. The clue here is 'trendy buzzword' which we all know what that really means.
                I can't speak to his exact motivations for reapeating debunked talking points but my perception is certainly that he is attempting to gaslight the casual reader of this thread into thinking something that is not rooted in reality. To me, that broadly fits the description of gaslighting and it is the repitition that is the key here.
                Last edited by Svensson; 07-10-2024, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I can't speak to his exact motivations for repeating debunked talking points but my perception is certainly that he is attempting to gaslight the casual reader of this thread into thinking something that is not rooted in reality. To me, that broadly fits the description of gaslighting and it is the repetition that is the key here.
                  Hi, Svensson. I'm not a fan of these 'buzzwords' like erm buzzword haha. I hate all the corporate BS with 'touching base' etc so I'm not a fan of the term gaslighting etc. It just does not sit right with me. It's for me another 'wokey' word to help bolster the fact 'I'm offended' and you have made me upset and I want justice from you!!!
                  In this very thread I got attacked for basically saying the capital city of my home country does not feel, for want of a better term 'British.' This was a true observation. I got labelled racist and Xenophobic. I was absolutely not being those things I was making an observation. I also stated I was unhappy that people coming from other countries are trying to change British culture and way of life which in my opinion is disrespectful. It's the when in Rome type of affair. Again an observation not X or R but there we have it.
                  Too many folk nowadays are quick to jump in with the wokey buzzwords, the R and X card and of course the 'I'm offended' rubbish. This country is deteriorating fast and yes there are plenty of reasons but for me (an observation) one of them is immigrants wishing for Britain to change to suit them instead of them changing to suit Britain.

Hopefully this time I've made my points without being called X or R.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Hi Wick!

Ms Diddles is utterly ambivalent about this!

GB news and Migrant Watch are hardly known for their objective reportage.

This is the usual misinformation and incendiary rhetoric.

The Home Office have stated that mobile phones were indeed issued as a temporary measure during Covid restrictions when face-to-face interviews were not possible.

https://fullfact.org/online/asylum-seeker-free-iphone/

They are not issued as a matter of course and this sounds like a perfectly sensible measure during Covid to me.

The GB News video appears to be talking about mobile phones issued by the charity Care for Calais not taxpayer-funded (although I must admit, my eyes glazed over and I gave up before the end)

What about those tax-payer funded bicycles?

Where did that come from?

Hi Ms Diddles,

Ooh, please miss! Did Jacob Rees-Mogg donate his redundant penny-farthing bicycles, to try and make his fellow countrymen even more angry about asylum seekers than they were already?

Do I win £5?

If the anger is directed at you and me instead, for telling it like it is, perhaps they will leave minorities alone who will never enjoy anything like the benefits that their loudest critics have always taken for granted, solely by accident of birth and not because they had to work their way up from extreme deprivation caused by world events or people better off than themselves.

My heart bleeds for those who imagine they have never had it so bad, and that this is because people who are infinitely worse off - and always will be - have never had it so good.

This may officially be a Christian country, but where have all its values gone?

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi, Svensson. I'm not a fan of these 'buzzwords' like erm buzzword haha. I hate all the corporate BS with 'touching base' etc so I'm not a fan of the term gaslighting etc. It just does not sit right with me. It's for me another 'wokey' word to help bolster the fact 'I'm offended' and you have made me upset
                      Woke isn't a buzzword?

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Woke isn't a buzzword?
                        I never said it was.

Comment

I never said it was.
                          Ed Stow once called me 'woke' because I laughed at the way he keeps referring to Lechmere's mother as the "twice bigamously married Maria Lechmere."

It's really weird sort of logic. I'm the one who isn't outraged or offended or trying to make mileage out of the fact that a woman abandoned by her drunken husband remarried after seven years (a societal norm) yet I'm the one who is 'woke.'

It's one of the reasons I find this particularly buzzword meaningless.

Comment

Persistent misrepresentation, accidentially or on purpose IS gaslighting. the "abuse" is the result of being gaslight, not the result of "abuse" (noun vs. verb). Wickerman's persistent misrepresentations regarding what legal and illegal immigrants are alledged to get from HM such-and-so causes damage to one's perception of reality.
                            It's hardly "alleged" when it is publicly available on the internet.
                            We can either stick our heads in the sand, or face reality and address the problems head-on.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I'm not sure Wickerman deliberately moved the goal posts, I find his last bit 'And, coming from a safe country, like France, disqualifies them from being legal migrants,' slightly untrue as I believe he means 'legal asylum seekers.'

However as regards to gaslighting - Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse where a person causes someone to question their sanity, memories, or perception of reality.

I think his posts are far from that. He is not trying to psychologically abuse anyone. Another 'woke' phrase often misused?
                              Maybe it's more a case of self-gaslighting when someone's own perception of reality comes from a place that is so far removed - factually, figuratively and literally - from the reality of living in the UK?

My late ma-in-law always used to say that if you can't think of anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all.

Most of us, being human, find it impossible to stick to that, and even the mother-in-law - more angel than human - had to admit to the odd lapse. I tend to fall back on the one about not dishing it out if you can't take it. If you don't want to be 'labelled', you can always change the contents, or not hand your opinions out like poisoned smarties. It's not so easy to admit it to yourself if the views you express are accurately labelled - as they often are.

Love,

Caz
                              X

"Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by rjpalmer View Post

Ed Stow once called me 'woke' because I laughed at the way he keeps referring to Lechmere's mother as the "twice bigamously married Maria Lechmere."

It's really weird sort of logic. I'm the one who isn't outraged or offended or trying to make mileage out of the fact that a woman abandoned by her drunken husband remarried after seven years (a societal norm) yet I'm the one who is 'woke.'

It's one of the reasons I find this particularly buzzword meaningless.
                                To be "woke" was originally a positive position to take. It was a term used to describe anyone who was looking out for things like; injustice, inequality & racial discrimination. Essentially, looking out for the rights of the minority, defending the "little guy".

What is unfortunate is this defense has turned into an ideology used by the minority to subjugate the majority.
                                The "little guy", through woke ideology is attempting to impose their minority views on the majority of the nation - which must be rejected at all levels.
                                Like they say - "give them an inch and they'll take a mile".

As an example, a small minority want to change the national school curriculum to impose their multi-gender philosophy on every school child.
                                This is teaching lies about biology to radicalise future generations.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X