Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Canada for spring 2014!

Hello you all!

Some of you might remember, that I planned a trip to Canada a long time ago. Planning to go from coast to coast.

Now, it seems to be possible to come true. So, any Canadian members of this forum are most welcome to tell me about the following things:

1. Best way to travel.

2. Best way to accomodate myself.

3. Any information of the following towns and cities: Manitoba: Winnipeg, Saskatchewan: Saskatoon, British Columbia: Kimberley, Trail, Penticton, Alberta: Edmonton, Lethbridge, Ontario: Toronto, Ottawa, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Lyndhurst, Kitchener, Whitby, Belleville and Galt.

4. Why the places above? Because they sent the Canadian teams to the IIHF/LIHG World Championship tournaments and the Olympic tournaments. So, if there are people from these towns and cities here, which time of spring would be the best one for hockey.

5. Naturally the Americans are most welcome to recommend anything on the south-side of the border.

All the best
    Jukka
    Last edited by j.r-ahde; 09-09-2013, 10:56 AM.
    "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Hi Jukka.
    I live in Kitchener, Ont. but I am not a Hockey fan so I'm not sure what it is you need. Here is the Kitchener Rangers Official website, and their 2013/14 schedule.

Galt is on the south side of Cambridge which is only a few km away from Kitchener.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hello Wickerman!

OK, that is exactly the thing I wanted to know hockey-wise: the dates of the local hockey games. Thank you a lot!

If you can help with hotels or hostels too, it's most welcome.

What is the best way to travel from town to town in Canada: car, train or bus?

All the best
      Jukka
      "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Originally posted by j.r-ahde View Post
        Hello you all!

Some of you might remember, that I planned a trip to Canada a long time ago. Planning to go from coast to coast.

Now, it seems to be possible to come true. So, any Canadian members of this forum are most welcome to tell me about the following things:

1. Best way to travel.

2. Best way to accomodate myself.

3. Any information of the following towns and cities: Manitoba: Winnipeg, Saskatchewan: Saskatoon, British Columbia: Kimberley, Trail, Penticton, Alberta: Edmonton, Lethbridge, Ontario: Toronto, Ottawa, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Lyndhurst, Kitchener, Whitby, Belleville and Galt.

4. Why the places above? Because they sent the Canadian teams to the IIHF/LIHG World Championship tournaments and the Olympic tournaments. So, if there are people from these towns and cities here, which time of spring would be the best one for hockey.

5. Naturally the Americans are most welcome to recommend anything on the south-side of the border.

All the best
        Jukka
        I adore Waterton in Alberta, but it appears to be quite a drive from Lethbridge and since hockey seems to be your main interest, might not appeal to you.

Comment

Hello curious!

Yes, I like the old Team Canadas of IIHF tournaments. But if the locals can tell about anything other worth seeing, it's welcome too!

I like the recommendations by the Americans too.

All the best
          Jukka

Comment

Good day!.

I am in Buffalo New York.. right over the canadian border, also near Niagara Falls (well worth seeing if you are making the trip.. from either side US or Canadian it's beautiful.... area is a bit safer on the Canadian side though).

You can always see an NHL game in Buffalo, here is a link to the Sabres schedule

The official National Hockey League website including news, rosters, stats, schedules, teams, and video.

and while in this area you can also get to Toronto (one of my favorite cities in the world) as it is just over an hours drive from Buffalo.

Car is really the best way to travel in this region, with a few exceptions, like you can take a round trip train from Toronto to Montreal but for most travel car would be best.

Hey maybe when you make it to the area we can all meet up ( i know there are a few other board members who are from this Western New York U.S.A/ Southern Ontario Canada area)

Steadmund Brand---
            "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Hello Steadmund Brand!

OK, thank you. I will make a precise schedule, when I have enough information from our Canadian forum-friends about february-march 2014!

All the best
              Jukka

Comment

Hello Wickerman!

OK, that is exactly the thing I wanted to know hockey-wise: the dates of the local hockey games. Thank you a lot!

If you can help with hotels or hostels too, it's most welcome.

What is the best way to travel from town to town in Canada: car, train or bus?

All the best
                Jukka
                The best way to travel will depend on your itinerary. For instance long distances are better done by rail.
                Book now and discover all the benefits of travelling by train with VIA Rail. Take advantage of our best offers and enjoy a unique travel experience.

But there is also coach.
                Greyhound Canada travelers can now book a trip with FlixBus. What does this mean? Find out here and get your tickets now.

However, in Ontario we also have a city-to-city transit service - Go Transit.
                GO Transit is the regional public transit service for the Greater Golden Horseshoe.

Travel within a city is often best done by the local transit system. In Toronto it is the TTC.

In Kitchener & Cambridge it will be GRT which serves three cities (Kitchener/Cambridge/Waterloo).

For all your destinations I would Google on the name of the city & add 'transit' to see if every city you plan to stay at has one.
                Failing this then renting a car is likely your only option, or taxi.
                But this is just for inner-city travel.

And yes we have Hotels, Motels & Hostels, I can search for a few examples when you need them and you can take your pick
                Last edited by Wickerman; 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hello Wickerman!

Thank you a lot for help. I will do the checking, when I will find the time.

Meanwhile, I am sure your countrymen are up to their helpful reputation too.

Oh, by the way; If I decide to take a trip to Quebec, can I deal with people in English or should I rather try to speak French? My countrymen have given a little bit contradictionary information. I do have studied French, mais en cette moment mon francais est terrible.

All the best
                  Jukka

Comment

Oh, by the way; If I decide to take a trip to Quebec, can I deal with people in English or should I rather try to speak French? My countrymen have given a little bit contradictionary information. I do have studied French, mais en cette moment mon francais est terrible.

All the best
                    Jukka
                    I've had varied experiences in Quebec, if you don't speak the lingo some try to be helpful, others are not so inclined.
                    I went in to a Canadian Frinchise in Montreal, Tim Horton's (thee best coffee in Canada ), and no-one in the place could take my order. They had to bring a summer student from the back of the store who was sweeping up, she was the only person who was bi-lingual.

Here is the Ottawa Senators website - schedule.
                    The official National Hockey League website including news, rosters, stats, schedules, teams, and video.

Toronto Maple Leafs website - schedule.
                    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hello again,

I too have had varied experiences in Quebec, what makes it worse is I speak "some" French, enough to have gotten along fine while I was in France (Paris no loss, where, let's face it, Americans aren't welcome ) however the "French" they speak in Quebec.....well ...back when the U.S dollar was much stronger than the Canadian dollar everyone was willing to speak English or try (when they saw I had U.S money) but now that the Canadian dollar is worth more...well let's just say so many people there have forgotten English...but all kidding aside, for the most part the people are fantastic, and really nice and there is almost always someone around who is willing to help if language is a problem.

And Wickerman.... Tim Horton's is not the best coffee in Canada.... it is the BEST COFFEE IN THE WORLD.... even in the US shops (we have almost as many in western NEW YORK as you do in Canada) plus... Tim Horton's life came to a sad and untimley end while he was playing for the Buffalo Sabres (driving home from a game against the Leafs....eveytime I drive by the accident site my girlfiend rolls her eyes when I say "there is the Tim Horton crash spot").

by the way, where in Canada are you located Wickerman?

--Steadmund Brand--
                      Last edited by Steadmund Brand; 09-12-2013, 05:21 AM.
                      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Hello you all!

So, Tim Horton's then. Finnish people are mad on coffee, thank you!

All the best
                        Jukka

Comment

I am addicted to 'Timmy Ho's' coffee. By the way, if you do make it across the border to Buffalo, Rochester's only an hour and a half away, and you can visit the gravesite of Francis Tumblety!

Enjoy Canada. Toronto's the best.

Sincerely,

Mike
                          The Ripper's Haunts/JtR Suspect Dr. Francis Tumblety (Sunbury Press)
                          http://www.michaelLhawley.com

Comment

Originally posted by mklhawley View Post
                            Enjoy Canada. Toronto's the best.
                            Toronto is just the loveliest city! It's how one imagines New York City would be if everyone didn't hate each other for existing.
                            - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                              And Wickerman.... Tim Horton's is not the best coffee in Canada.... it is the BEST COFFEE IN THE WORLD.... even in the US shops (we have almost as many in western NEW YORK as you do in Canada) plus... Tim Horton's life came to a sad and untimley end while he was playing for the Buffalo Sabres (driving home from a game against the Leafs....eveytime I drive by the accident site my girlfiend rolls her eyes when I say "there is the Tim Horton crash spot").

by the way, where in Canada are you located Wickerman?

--Steadmund Brand--
                              Hi Steadmund.
                              Kitchener, Ont. - home of the biggest and best Octoberfest outside Munich, Germany.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                              X