Anyone remember "The Golden Shot"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember "The Golden Shot"?

I just finished watching an episode of The Golden Shot. I used to love this show when I was a kid. I had forgotten (or likely never notice) what a cheap, shoddily produced pile of shite it was. But it still gave me the warm fuzzies.
    “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Left a bit, right a bit, down a bit, heh,heh,heh

Comment

I used to watch it, but the main attraction for me was Carol Dilworth in the miniskirt.

Bob Monkhouse used to tell a story of how a contestant rang in, and after a while it was clear that he was trying to score a bull while phoning from a public telephone box positioned outside a TV shop which had TVs showing the target that he was aiming at.

Comment

Hi guys.

I think I speak for all Americans when I say, "I am baffled".

Cheers,
        Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
          Hi guys.

I think I speak for all Americans when I say, "I am baffled".

Cheers,
          Archaic
          It's hard to really explain. It was a game show that featured a crossbow mounted on the front of a camera manned by a blindfolded guy. There was a crosshair that showed up on the screen. There was a wall with several targets on it (often apples) and people would phone in and have 30 seconds to "aim" the crossbow by giving the cameraman directions (up, down, left, right, stop and fire). It ran 52 weeks a year, no break, and was so cheaply and shoddily made that looking at it today it's almost unwatchable (those 'seventies fashions really didn't help). They had performances by hasbeens and up-n-comers in between segments, and guest "golden girls" to pimp the outrageously cheap prizes.

But purely for the nostalgia value, they are golden.

Comment

For Archiac:

Here's part of an episode:

The last 10 minutes of an episode of the classic TV show The Golden Shot, presented here by Charlie Williams. Singing guest is Carl Wayne formerly of The Mov...

This is the last round, where the contestants aim and fire the crossbow themselves, via remote control.

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
              For Archiac:

Here's part of an episode:

The last 10 minutes of an episode of the classic TV show The Golden Shot, presented here by Charlie Williams. Singing guest is Carl Wayne formerly of The Mov...

This is the last round, where the contestants aim and fire the crossbow themselves, via remote control.
              Presented by the late Charlie Williams, assisted by Anne Aston:

"Her acting roles include Up the Chastity Belt (1971) and Jason King (1971)."

Comment

Thanks Magpie.

That has to be one of the oddest things I've ever seen!

Love how the lady announcer coos to the audience in baby-talk.

Archaic

Comment

Oops, sorry, Magpie- I meant to post that news story as a new Pub Talk thread. Must have hit "reply" instead. I'll ask Admin to move it if possible.

Thanks,

PS: Hi Robert!

Comment

Hi Bunny!

Dave, I believe the raspberries were blown by David Jason.

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                      I just finished watching an episode of The Golden Shot. I used to love this show when I was a kid. I had forgotten (or likely never notice) what a cheap, shoddily produced pile of shite it was. But it still gave me the warm fuzzies.
                      All I remember is, "Bernie,... the bolt!"

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                        Nah, face like the back of a bus, him. Now THIS guy was so handsome, they couldn't show his face! Click to play :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clips/p0...pberry_blower/
                        Awesome, Robert!

The caller kind of looks like Jack the Ripper from the back, don't you think?

Here in the US we have what's called a 'Bronx Cheer', which is where you make a loud jeering sound - uh, with your voice- that resembles the real McCoy. It's also called "razzing somebody".

So we understand "raspberry" to mean that sound, not the actual... uh, event, shall we say.

'Raspberry Tart' was Cockney Rhyming Slang for "fart" in Jack the Ripper's Day.

To illustrate the extent that most Americans still are not aware of the origin of the phrase "raspberry", I recently saw a fashion advertisement for jeans in a special color of pink, which the manufacturer called "Give 'Em A Raspberry."

I think they'd be pretty embarrassed if they knew.

Cheers (uh, the regular kind),
                        Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          Nah, face like the back of a bus, him. Now THIS guy was so handsome, they couldn't show his face! Click to play :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clips/p0...pberry_blower/

Classic!

I used to love the Two Ronnies.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                            Oops, sorry, Magpie- I meant to post that news story as a new Pub Talk thread. Must have hit "reply" instead. I'll ask Admin to move it if possible.

Thanks,

PS: Hi Robert!
                            No need Archaid It's all good.

Comment

Oh crumbs! 'Give 'Em A Raspberry'? For ladies who want to be noticed.

Here is the horrifying scene in the graveyard, in which we see the face of the Phantom. Go from about 7 minutes in.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                              X