Travel The World From Your Own Home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    Just did Pere Lachaise Part 2. Edith Piaff, Honoré De Balzac, Oscar Wilde.
    You hussy, Herlock!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

You hussy, Herlock!!!
      It was raining there as well.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Am looking forward to tonight's stroll around Whitechapel!

My pal who I'm travelling with to London has signed up too.

Hopefully we'll get some inspiration for our trip!

Comment

Am looking forward to tonight's stroll around Whitechapel!

My pal who I'm travelling with to London has signed up too.

Hopefully we'll get some inspiration for our trip!
          It should be interesting. The guide is French.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

On a similar vein check out radio garden.
            Radio Fiji!
            http://radio.garden/listen/radio-fij...107-4/EJsyacaD
            You can tour the radio world.
            There are mobile apps available too.

Comment

It should be interesting. The guide is French.
              I took the tour. She was a little hard to understand but I did enjoy seeing what Whitechapel looks like today. You could also get a sense from some of the old buildings what it looked like in the Ripper's day.

c.d.

Comment

Thanks for the link Herlock.
                At first I thought these must be recordings that you watch through but no, they're live.
                Tempted by the Ripper tour. Next time it's on is Thursday 27 May at 8.30 pm.
                These are not clues, Fred.
                It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                  Thanks for the link Herlock.
                  At first I thought these must be recordings that you watch through but no, they're live.
                  Tempted by the Ripper tour. Next time it's on is Thursday 27 May at 8.30 pm.
                  No problem Ozzy.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I just noticed this tour on HEYGO which takes placed in 75 minutes time, so it’s short notice. These tours tend to get repeated though. It’s called Liz Stride: Not Just A Ripper Victim. I know that some on here might have had a look in on the ripper walk.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I just noticed this tour on HEYGO which takes placed in 75 minutes time, so it’s short notice. These tours tend to get repeated though. It’s called Liz Stride: Not Just A Ripper Victim. I know that some on here might have had a look in on the ripper walk.
                      That sounds interesting, Herlock!

I can't make the one this evening but if you're doing it, let us know if it's any good and I'll look out for it coming round again.

Edit: I just realised you posted that a few hours ago, so it's presumably already been and gone.

Comment

That sounds interesting, Herlock!

I can't make the one this evening but if you're doing it, let us know if it's any good and I'll look out for it coming round again.

Edit: I just realised you posted that a few hours ago, so it's presumably already been and gone.
                        I did it earlier Ms D and it was ok but nothing special. It was restricted because the guide was approached by an official on the way through the cemetery and told that she couldn’t film the graves (she’d intended on showing a few other graves on the tour) She asked and was allowed to film at Elizabeth Strides grave only. The guide did show a photograph which she said was one of Liz in earlier life which had been enhanced from a poor quality older one. I told her of course that it wasn’t genuine. A couple of people in the chat doubted what I’d said because apparently Jeff Mudgett (HH Holmes grandson and profession idiot) had used it. The guide believed me though, explaining that she wondered how the poverty stricken Stride would have afforded to have her photo taken?

One thing I noticed though, and it was a ‘fact’ used in a recent documentary, she said that Stride was only registered as a prostitute in Sweden because she was an unmarried mother and that was the procedure. I’m assuming that this came from Rubenhold so I’m unsure if this is a fact or just a possibility? I suspect the latter. I’ll ask Gary Barnett. Three people on the chat there said they had a ripper book that they were looking forward to starting - The Five. It’s the only book that people are reading sadly.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I did it earlier Ms D and it was ok but nothing special. It was restricted because the guide was approached by an official on the way through the cemetery and told that she couldn’t film the graves (she’d intended on showing a few other graves on the tour) She asked and was allowed to film at Elizabeth Strides grave only. The guide did show a photograph which she said was one of Liz in earlier life which had been enhanced from a poor quality older one. I told her of course that it wasn’t genuine. A couple of people in the chat doubted what I’d said because apparently Jeff Mudgett (HH Holmes grandson and profession idiot) had used it. The guide believed me though, explaining that she wondered how the poverty stricken Stride would have afforded to have her photo taken?

One thing I noticed though, and it was a ‘fact’ used in a recent documentary, she said that Stride was only registered as a prostitute in Sweden because she was an unmarried mother and that was the procedure. I’m assuming that this came from Rubenhold so I’m unsure if this is a fact or just a possibility? I suspect the latter. I’ll ask Gary Barnett. Three people on the chat there said they had a ripper book that they were looking forward to starting - The Five. It’s the only book that people are reading sadly.
                          Sigh!

I know, The Five still seems to be the only show in town.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading that prostitutes in Sweden were subjected to regular mandatory checks for STD's during the LVP.

I'm sure there were records of Liz being checked out, diagnosed and treated for STD's.

I doubt that would have happened just for giving birth to a (stillborn) baby out of wedlock?

I'm starting to wonder if a couple of generations into the future people will still be studying the case, and trying to work out whodunit, but the victims will have morphed into nuns, or vicar's wives (or other paragons of virtue), such seems to be the influence of that book.

Comment

Sigh!

I know, The Five still seems to be the only show in town.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember reading that prostitutes in Sweden were subjected to regular mandatory checks for STD's during the LVP.

I'm sure there were records of Liz being checked out, diagnosed and treated for STD's.

I doubt that would have happened just for giving birth to a (stillborn) baby out of wedlock?

I'm starting to wonder if a couple of generations into the future people will still be studying the case, and trying to work out whodunit, but the victims will have morphed into nuns, or vicar's wives (or other paragons of virtue), such seems to be the influence of that book.
                            I just pm’d Gary Barnett over on JTRForums using that exact phrase MsD.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I just pm’d Gary Barnett over on JTRForums using that exact phrase MsD.
                              Great minds......

Comment

Working...
                              X