Dyatlov Pass incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Thanks Ms D. I suspected that might be the case just from what I’ve read so far (172 pages) It’s not a book that you could recommend as ‘an enjoyable read.) A real case of ‘too much information,’ most of which could have been kept as footnotes or endnotes.
    I suppose it does lend credibility to the theory in that we can see how thorough the research is, but yeah it could definitely have been formatted differently and presented in a much clearer fashion.

I feel like it makes a bit of a leap in the final pages with the actual theory, but I will be interested to see what you guys make of it.

I can think of a couple of arguments against this hypothesis, but I will wait patiently to discuss once you, Barn and Filby have finished.
    Last edited by Ms Diddles; 06-14-2022, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• Wait for me guys!

I've got 98 pages to go, and yes it's a bloody slog. I'll save my comments re the case and the book itself till I've finished the damn thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
        Wait for me guys!

I've got 98 pages to go, and yes it's a bloody slog. I'll save my comments re the case and the book itself till I've finished the damn thing.
        No rush, Barn.

I'm going to check out that website to make sure I've understood everything correctly.

I may even re-read certain bits to check my logic.

I'll be honest, I'm not delighted by that prospect, but needs must as I think there were elements of the theory that passed me by.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Herlock Sholmes;n787502]

It’s just a pity that they didn’t take advice before publishing on the books readability. The biog’s that you mentioned within the text would have been better as footnotes for a start and it’s difficult to see how a lot of the information that’s being presented (I’m at page 150 so far) will be relevant in the end so you get the impression of overkill which swamps the reader in an information overload. I’m not for a minute saying that it’s not a worthwhile book (whatever it’s conclusion) because the research appears really detailed. Not enough attention paid to readability though.

My number one btw still gives me nightmares I was having a period of interest in the JFK assassination and I read a book called Best Evidence by David Lifton. 6 or 700 pages I think, of small text all on the premise that Kennedy’s body was operated upon on Airforce One to alter the bullet wounds so as give a false trajectory and so disguise the fact that there were more than one gunman. It was like reading a medical textbook! I stubbornly battled though it; hating every minute of it To de-toxify my brain a had to read PG Wodehouse for a fortnight to bring me back from the brink.[/QUOT

On reflection, I like the idea of Wodehouse as a kind of decontamination therapy.

Kind of like a nice champagne sorbet palate cleanser between rich courses at dinner!!!

Comment

• Sorry! I made an a@!e of quoting in the post above.

My phone is acting up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
              Sorry! I made an a@!e of quoting in the post above.

My phone is acting up.
              Diddy!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Ms Diddles;n787565]
                Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

It’s just a pity that they didn’t take advice before publishing on the books readability. The biog’s that you mentioned within the text would have been better as footnotes for a start and it’s difficult to see how a lot of the information that’s being presented (I’m at page 150 so far) will be relevant in the end so you get the impression of overkill which swamps the reader in an information overload. I’m not for a minute saying that it’s not a worthwhile book (whatever it’s conclusion) because the research appears really detailed. Not enough attention paid to readability though.

My number one btw still gives me nightmares I was having a period of interest in the JFK assassination and I read a book called Best Evidence by David Lifton. 6 or 700 pages I think, of small text all on the premise that Kennedy’s body was operated upon on Airforce One to alter the bullet wounds so as give a false trajectory and so disguise the fact that there were more than one gunman. It was like reading a medical textbook! I stubbornly battled though it; hating every minute of it To de-toxify my brain a had to read PG Wodehouse for a fortnight to bring me back from the brink.[/QUOT

On reflection, I like the idea of Wodehouse as a kind of decontamination therapy.

Kind of like a nice champagne sorbet palate cleanser between rich courses at dinner!!!
                Wodehouse is one of my favourites. If I ever feel a bit down I just read a bit of Wodehouse and I find myself sitting there with a permanent smile on my face.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Diddy!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Herlock Sholmes;n787569]
                    Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Wodehouse is one of my favourites. If I ever feel a bit down I just read a bit of Wodehouse and I find myself sitting there with a permanent smile on my face.
                    Herlock, I'm a stranger to Plum.

Could you suggest the best book to start my journey.

Comment

• [QUOTE=barnflatwyngarde;n787572]
                      Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Herlock, I'm a stranger to Plum.

Could you suggest the best book to start my journey.
                      I am new to Wodehouse as well and just researched the exact same thing. Still would like to hear recommendations from Herlock and Ms. Diddle.

This second article in my reading guide for new Wodehouse readers offers a reading list for the Jeeves and Wooster stories. Jeeves and Wooster Reading List The Inimitable Jeeves (1923)* Carry On, J…

c.d.

Comment

• [QUOTE=c.d.;n787573]
                        Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

I am new to Wodehouse as well and just researched the exact same thing. Still would like to hear recommendations from Herlock and Ms. Diddle.

This second article in my reading guide for new Wodehouse readers offers a reading list for the Jeeves and Wooster stories. Jeeves and Wooster Reading List The Inimitable Jeeves (1923)* Carry On, J…

c.d.
                        Sorry c.d.

I must confess to never having read Wodehouse, although I have friends who love him.

I too will await Herlock's recommendations...

Comment

• Barn and c.d. where to start? I haven’t read everything by Wodehouse but I’ve read a fair bit. In fact I’ve decided to start at the beginning and get everything he’s written and read them all in order. I’ve started by ordering The Pothunters which is his first book.

Two easy suggestions though for anyone wanting to read some Wodehouse for the first time are his two most famous series of books. First the Blandibgs Castle series of which I think there are 11 novels. All brilliant imo.

Then of course there are the Jeeves and Wooster stories which are, for me, as close to perfect as you can get. You can read them in any order so I’d suggest buying a collection of the short stories which are easy to come by and are cheap. Have fun meeting Gussie Fink-Nottle, the fearsome Aunt Agatha, Stilton Cheesewright, Roderick Spode and Honoria Glossop. About as English as it gets.

Btw, if you like them I’d absolutely recommend getting the boxed set of the tv series starring Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.

This is a great piece by Stephen Fry on Wodehouse. Fry pretty much worships him.

I hope you love them (but don’t tell me if you don’t like them because I’d be too wounded)
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                            Barn and c.d. where to start? I haven’t read everything by Wodehouse but I’ve read a fair bit. In fact I’ve decided to start at the beginning and get everything he’s written and read them all in order. I’ve started by ordering The Pothunters which is his first book.

Two easy suggestions though for anyone wanting to read some Wodehouse for the first time are his two most famous series of books. First the Blandibgs Castle series of which I think there are 11 novels. All brilliant imo.

Then of course there are the Jeeves and Wooster stories which are, for me, as close to perfect as you can get. You can read them in any order so I’d suggest buying a collection of the short stories which are easy to come by and are cheap. Have fun meeting Gussie Fink-Nottle, the fearsome Aunt Agatha, Stilton Cheesewright, Roderick Spode and Honoria Glossop. About as English as it gets.

Btw, if you like them I’d absolutely recommend getting the boxed set of the tv series starring Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.

This is a great piece by Stephen Fry on Wodehouse. Fry pretty much worships him.

I hope you love them (but don’t tell me if you don’t like them because I’d be too wounded)
                            Thanks for this Herlock, I'll dip into them immediately. In these crazy days I think that we all need a bit of humour in our lives. I've got all the Tom Sharpe books, and they are wonderfully funny, but the gentle humour of Wodehouse has been calling me for a while.

Time to jump in.

Comment

Thanks for this Herlock, I'll dip into them immediately. In these crazy days I think that we all need a bit of humour in our lives. I've got all the Tom Sharpe books, and they are wonderfully funny, but the gentle humour of Wodehouse has been calling me for a while.

Time to jump in.
                              No problem Barn.

I think that I really need to do the same one day with Tom Sharpe. I know that I’ve read Porterhouse Blue but it must have been 30+ years ago so I can remember little about it. Likewise I can remember Prterhouse Blue and Blott On The Lanscape being adapted for tv but I saw them. I’ll keep an eye open the next time I’m trawling the charity shops.

Btw, talking about comedy. Did you ever take a look at the three Scoundrels books which were regularly advertised in Viz? Brilliant stuff (Al Bundy’s Eyes will back me up on this one)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoundrels_(novel)

Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 06-15-2022, 06:13 PM.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Well I finally finished 1079 and I stand by my first comment that whilst the book appears to have been really researched in depth it was certainly ‘hard work’ to say the least. And because it was such heavy going it’s so difficult for a complete newbie to the subject to make an assessment. Even at the end they didn’t give a clear and precise run through of what they thought happened and the ensuing cover-up. I just got hopelessly lost in endless dates, obscure events like committee meetings and this protocol and sheesh! I think it speaks volumes when you can read through a book and not be 100% what the authors are claiming happened and in what order and who did what. Too many geographical locations for me too. For pretty much every page I found myself having to turn back to the map to try and get my bearings. Someone that has lived and breathed this case for thirty years will probably lap this up. But for a general reader I’d say that this book was very poorly written. Nowhere near clear enough.

The theory appears to be, unless Ms D and Barn tell me I’ve got it wrong (and I wouldn’t argue if they did) is that it was down to geological explorations using explosives? An explosive occurred and a tree fell on the tent, some managed to get out but were killed by the weather conditions. The authorities then tried to cover this up by moving the tent to another location so that it didn’t look like an explosion had occurred and that it was simply a natural weather phenomenon?

Im really interested to hear the thoughts of Ms D and Barn on this. Assuming that they haven’t been admitted to a clinic by now.

The theory is possible I guess but to really assess it properly I’d need to read the book again. Probably more than once, plus the data on the website and there’s more chance of Barn going to an England v Scotland game at Hampden wearing an England top and carrying a scarf that said ‘Robert The Bruce Was A W****er,’ than me doing that.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X