Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Could be!

As a native Glasweigan, perhaps Barn can enlighten us?
    Hi Ms D, my understanding is that in the olden days it's original use of the word "diddy" was a reference to a woman's breast.

It is not used in that context any more, and it's closest similar slang word would probably be "plonker".

As Glasgow insults go, it's a fairly gentle rebuke, several grades down from the word "bam".

In 1990 we were "European City of Culture", so we stand proudly alongside Florence in that regard.

Someone once said that "Glasgow is full of artists, they're all two foot six and eat sherbet dabs."

Comment

Could be!

As a native Glasweigan, perhaps Barn can enlighten us?
      Perhaps “stupi diddyot?” My grandad used to call pickled onions “dunions,” as in “ pickle dunions.”
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Perhaps “stupi diddyot?” My grandad used to call pickled onions “dunions,” as in “ pickle dunions.”
        Ha! That's nice!

I am going for a curry tomorrow night after work, and may now need to have some (spice) dunions with my poppadom, just for the hell of it!!

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Hi Ms D, my understanding is that in the olden days it's original use of the word "diddy" was a reference to a woman's breast.

It is not used in that context any more, and it's closest similar slang word would probably be "plonker".

As Glasgow insults go, it's a fairly gentle rebuke, several grades down from the word "bam".

In 1990 we were "European City of Culture", so we stand proudly alongside Florence in that regard.

Someone once said that "Glasgow is full of artists, they're all two foot six and eat sherbet dabs."

Ha! So Abby basically called me a tit??!!

I love bam and the associated bampot!

Also tube, roaster, rocket, muppet and fandan are favourite insults which I have heard here (not all addressed directly to me, I hasten to add).

**** I realise that this thread has got rather badly derailed, but it's in pub talk so I reckon it's fair game???

Comment

• A Glaswegian in a pub? Surely not.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• No offense intended to Ms Diddles and no harming of any titties or idiots was done in this segment lol

My apologies for being such a bot. (new one from the kids here in Maryland).

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                No offense intended to Ms Diddles and no harming of any titties or idiots was done in this segment lol

My apologies for being such a bot. (new one from the kids here in Maryland).
                No offence taken, Abby!

Comment

• My copy of 1079 was due to arrive between Monday and Wednesday but it arrived today! Maybe it’s a sign of getting older but I was due to go to a barbecue tonight but it’s been cancelled and I’m quite pleased as I can start the book.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

My copy of 1079 was due to arrive between Monday and Wednesday but it arrived today! Maybe it’s a sign of getting older but I was due to go to a barbecue tonight but it’s been cancelled and I’m quite pleased as I can start the book.
                    I've nearly finished it, but probably won't get another good reading session until Sunday night, so I'm sure you and Barn will catch me up.

I won't say too much, but it is super detailed on the search missions and the Russian bureaucracy.

My head is spinning with all the weird Soviet protocols etc.

Really interesting.

Not as engaging as a really good boozy barbecue, but still excellent.

Don't let some of the slightly shonky translation put you off.

Comment

I've nearly finished it, but probably won't get another good reading session until Sunday night, so I'm sure you and Barn will catch me up.

I won't say too much, but it is super detailed on the search missions and the Russian bureaucracy.

My head is spinning with all the weird Soviet protocols etc.

Really interesting.

Not as engaging as a really good boozy barbecue, but still excellent.

Don't let some of the slightly shonky translation put you off.
                      The barbie has been rearranged for Sunday so there won’t be much reading done on that day. I’m looking forward to this one (dodgy translations apart of course)
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

The barbie has been rearranged for Sunday so there won’t be much reading done on that day. I’m looking forward to this one (dodgy translations apart of course)
                        Enjoy Herlock!

I will look forward to seeing what you and Barn make of it.

Comment

• I’m 85 pages in so far. Firstly it has to be said that the author doesn’t skimp on details. If I had to be critical in describing it so far I’d probably use the word ‘stodgy.’ What I mean by that is that it’s not a particularly easy or flowing read. It’s a little like having a conversation with a technology expert who assumes that you’re an expert too. Lots of names, jobs, committees, organisations etc to deal with. Plus there’s some dodgy translation as Ms D said but it’s not a big issue. It’s only just reached the finding of the tent stage so basically it’s now getting to the more interesting stuff. The author certainly knows his stuff and the website is back up of course (which I’ve only dipped into it) I suspect that some stuff could have been left out for easier reading but the author obviously wanted to cram everything in.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I’m 85 pages in so far. Firstly it has to be said that the author doesn’t skimp on details. If I had to be critical in describing it so far I’d probably use the word ‘stodgy.’ What I mean by that is that it’s not a particularly easy or flowing read. It’s a little like having a conversation with a technology expert who assumes that you’re an expert too. Lots of names, jobs, committees, organisations etc to deal with. Plus there’s some dodgy translation as Ms D said but it’s not a big issue. It’s only just reached the finding of the tent stage so basically it’s now getting to the more interesting stuff. The author certainly knows his stuff and the website is back up of course (which I’ve only dipped into it) I suspect that some stuff could have been left out for easier reading but the author obviously wanted to cram everything in.
                            Hi Herlock,

Yep, I would totally concur with your assessment.

I'm on page 215, and I'll warn you that the stodginess continues (and perhaps even increases!), sorry!

There are some fascinating nuggets in there though, so stick with it.

I fear that when I get to the end, I may need to re-read certain bits, as I'm not sure I've really absorbed all the information properly (bamboozled by all the strange Soviet infrastructure and bureaucracy etc).

In places the translation doesn't help.

I suspect the issue is that it's a Russian book written for a Russian audience which presupposes a certain level of familiarity with, and insight into, a society which is completely alien to us as westerners.

TBH I was feeling a bit of a thicko reading it, so I'm delighted and relieved that it's not just me!!!

barnflatwyngarde - How are you getting on with it too?

Comment

Hi Herlock,

Yep, I would totally concur with your assessment.

I'm on page 215, and I'll warn you that the stodginess continues (and perhaps even increases!), sorry!

There are some fascinating nuggets in there though, so stick with it.

I fear that when I get to the end, I may need to re-read certain bits, as I'm not sure I've really absorbed all the information properly (bamboozled by all the strange Soviet infrastructure and bureaucracy etc).

In places the translation doesn't help.

I suspect the issue is that it's a Russian book written for a Russian audience which presupposes a certain level of familiarity with, and insight into, a society which is completely alien to us as westerners.

TBH I was feeling a bit of a thicko reading it, so I'm delighted and relieved that it's not just me!!!

barnflatwyngarde - How are you getting on with it too?
                              It’s a wonder the Soviets ever achieved anything after they had to go through 7 committees, write 3 reports to various authorities and then wait for responses from the Communist Party before they could open a cupboard! You’re certainly not a thicko Ms D it’s just the way that the book is written. More like a textbook or manual rather than a book to engage a reader who hasn’t spent 20 years researching the subject night and day. It needed the manuscript to have been sent to an English speaking non-expert first.

One thing though, when you read about an aspect of the case, like the discovery of the tent or the contents, and it conflicts with something you’ve read in another book I’m already inclined to believe the version in this book.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

My copy of 1079 was due to arrive between Monday and Wednesday but it arrived today! Maybe it’s a sign of getting older but I was due to go to a barbecue tonight but it’s been cancelled and I’m quite pleased as I can start the book.
                                Thanks for the warm welcome. I just one-clicked 1079, Kindle Version so I'll give it a go as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X