X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

Yes, I watched it. Somewhat different from the book, but kept close to the mood and general atmosphere of 1890s New York. (They shot in Eastern Europe, I believe). Plot doesn't vary too much, though the Catholic Church's involvement was toned down, I think. Teddy Roosevelt was present, also the young lady who assisted the police, the two Jewish brothers, and some nasty bruiser types. I recommend it if you liked the novel. I was able to enjoy it as a period thriller, even knowing the solution, and the cast was good.
    Thanks for that Pat.

A friend of mine has the first season on dvd or Blu-ray which I’ll borrow the next time I see him.

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    By the way, has anyone seen the adaptation of The Alienist? Great book but any good on screen?
    Yes, I watched it. Somewhat different from the book, but kept close to the mood and general atmosphere of 1890s New York. (They shot in Eastern Europe, I believe). Plot doesn't vary too much, though the Catholic Church's involvement was toned down, I think. Teddy Roosevelt was present, also the young lady who assisted the police, the two Jewish brothers, and some nasty bruiser types. I recommend it if you liked the novel. I was able to enjoy it as a period thriller, even knowing the solution, and the cast was good.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    Indeed, but having "pretty-boy" Depp as a 40-something, paunchy detective would be a bit like casting Macaulay Culkin as Benjamin Franklin.
    lol. now that's funny

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    I guess Heather Graham was miscast as mary Kelly too. yeesh cmon guys this was a very unhistorical mash up of a grahic novel based on the royal conspiracy! lol. much artistic liscense was taken!!
    Indeed, but having "pretty-boy" Depp as a 40-something, paunchy detective would be a bit like casting Macaulay Culkin as Benjamin Franklin.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    I guess Heather Graham was miscast as mary Kelly too. yeesh cmon guys this was a very unhistorical mash up of a grahic novel based on the royal conspiracy! lol. much artistic liscense was taken!!

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Whether it was Depp or Oldman, both excellent actors, I think the problem lies in the (writer's? director's?) decision to make Abberline a handsome, dapper young male, when we know that, in 1888, he was a middle-aged, mutton-chop-whiskered man of decidedly average appearance.

Leave a comment:

• Svensson
    replied
    Trying to stick up for Depp as an actor; He did cut his teeth with various Tim Burton projects in which he was was very able to deliver Burton's vision of his characters. He does excel in Comedies though where his dry delivery is priceless. His master-piece, without a doubt was Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas where he got Hunt Thompson to a T. However, apart from that he never really managed to properly break out of his pigeon-hole so I would agree that he was mis-cast for his role in From Hell. I would have loved to see someone like the late (an without a doubt Great) Phillip Seymour Hoffman, especially since we heard about his live-long struggles with Opiods. If the Cockney accent would have been an issue for him, then I believe Gary Oldman's would have been quite good

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
    ^^^
    Yes, Frederick George Abberline, the well-known alcoholic cockney
    The well known alcoholic, drug using cockney.

Though I do have time for Depp as person after hearing from a tour guide of the money he gave to Great Ormandy Street Hospital after they saved his daughters life (I think)

He does a fair few of these too.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Yes, it's this one.
    Case solved

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied

Hs
    watched the hammer hound last night. Great flick and I’m adding it to my list. Love those old hammer movies and this was up there with the best IMHO. Thumbs way up.
    Glad you enjoyed it Abby.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    ^^^
    Yes, Frederick George Abberline, the well-known alcoholic cockney

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied

You guys are nuts. From hell is a mini masterpiece and depps best performance IMHO. I mean cmon guys great flick! Great acting, love the focus on the women, cinematography is amazing, score, Ian holm! And the best part...sad ending lol! And besides depp dies so that should make you happy! ; )
    Sorry Abby, there's only one human being qualified to portray Abberline on the face of this planet, and that is Michael Cain!
    He is Abberline incarnate (trying to restrain my bias here )

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by etenguy View Post

I don't wish any harm on Johnny Depp - just thought he was not the best casting choice for this film. Didn't think Robbie Coltrane was a good choice either.
    It might have been better with Coltrane as Abberline, but only if they hadn't written Abberline as a brooding James Dean type with an opium habit.

Leave a comment:

• etenguy
    replied

You guys are nuts. From hell is a mini masterpiece and depps best performance IMHO. I mean cmon guys great flick! Great acting, love the focus on the women, cinematography is amazing, score, Ian holm! And the best part...sad ending lol! And besides depp dies so that should make you happy! ; )
    I don't wish any harm on Johnny Depp - just thought he was not the best casting choice for this film. Didn't think Robbie Coltrane was a good choice either. I have enjoyed both in other roles. But, whoever they chose - I did not enjoy the premise or execution of the film.

Leave a comment:

• etenguy
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Yeah, that definitely sounds like Mr Holmes with Ian Mckellen.

Ring any bells?
    Yes, it's this one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X