• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

hi Abby,

A Study In Terror is a great movie. Others that I’d recommend are:

The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes - This is a Billy Wilder movie starring Robert Stephens as Holmes. It was originally 3+ hours long but was cut down. You can now get it on Blu-ray with a lot of the bits that were left out. It’s a great film with some great humour in it.

Murder By Decree - Which you’ve probably already seen Abby. It stars Christopher Plummer as Holmes and James Mason as Watson and is a working of the Stephen Knight theory with the names changed. Sir William Gull becomes Sir Thomas Spivey for example. Well worth a watch if you haven’t already.

The Hound Of The Baskervilles - A classic and the best version of the story imo. Starting Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.

The Hound Of The Baskervilles - I’d also recommend the 1959 Hammer version starring Peter Cushing as Holmes and Andre Morell as Watson. Christopher Lee plays a rather stern Sir Henry Baskerville. It’s in technicolour. I love it.

The Seven Percent Solution - This is worth a watch too imo. It stars Nicol Williamson as a Holmes trying to rid himself of his drug habit. Watson and Mycroft trick him into going to Austria where he thinks he’ll find Professor Moriarty but they just want him to see Sigmund Freud.

One final recommendation to you and anyone that hasn’t seen it Abby is a tv series available on dvd called Murder Rooms: The Dark Beginnings Of Sherlock Holmes. It stars Ian Richardson as Dr Joseph Bell who was Doyle’s inspiration for Holmes. There was a pilot episode then three further ones. Absolutely brilliant. Bell takes the Holmes role whilst Doyle assists him (like Watson.) Dr Neil Cream even makes an appearance in the pilot episode and he ends up killing Doyle’s first girlfriend. Go for it if you haven’t already Abby. Richardson also played Holmes twice and was very good imo.

If you watch any of these and you like them then great. If you don’t like them then someone must have hacked my account to recommend them.​​​​​​​
    Thanks HS!
    yes I own Murder by Decree-I liked it but thought the ending was lame. Yes original Hound is a classic. I haven't seen the Hammer version-didn't know Lee was in it too-Im ordering now!!!

the rest look interesting -need to check them out!

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    The Private Life....isn't that the one where James Mason has his pea squashed? Also very funny ballet sequence featuring Watson.

I loved Cushing's line "I hope you enjoy their rabbit pie."

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    By the way, has anyone seen the adaptation of The Alienist? Great book but any good on screen?

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
    Im a fanatic movie guy and one of my favorite genres is the period piece thriller. My favorites:

From Hell
    The Raven (recent one)
    Gothic
    Crimson Peak
    The Other
    The Illusionist
    Bram Stokers Dracula
    Angel Heart

I think these are all mini masterpieces-please let me know your favorites.

Also, I recently saw A Study in Terror and loved it. Whats the best Sherlock Holmes movie?

hi Abby,

A Study In Terror is a great movie. Others that I’d recommend are:

The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes - This is a Billy Wilder movie starring Robert Stephens as Holmes. It was originally 3+ hours long but was cut down. You can now get it on Blu-ray with a lot of the bits that were left out. It’s a great film with some great humour in it.

Murder By Decree - Which you’ve probably already seen Abby. It stars Christopher Plummer as Holmes and James Mason as Watson and is a working of the Stephen Knight theory with the names changed. Sir William Gull becomes Sir Thomas Spivey for example. Well worth a watch if you haven’t already.

The Hound Of The Baskervilles - A classic and the best version of the story imo. Starting Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce.

The Hound Of The Baskervilles - I’d also recommend the 1959 Hammer version starring Peter Cushing as Holmes and Andre Morell as Watson. Christopher Lee plays a rather stern Sir Henry Baskerville. It’s in technicolour. I love it.

The Seven Percent Solution - This is worth a watch too imo. It stars Nicol Williamson as a Holmes trying to rid himself of his drug habit. Watson and Mycroft trick him into going to Austria where he thinks he’ll find Professor Moriarty but they just want him to see Sigmund Freud.

One final recommendation to you and anyone that hasn’t seen it Abby is a tv series available on dvd called Murder Rooms: The Dark Beginnings Of Sherlock Holmes. It stars Ian Richardson as Dr Joseph Bell who was Doyle’s inspiration for Holmes. There was a pilot episode then three further ones. Absolutely brilliant. Bell takes the Holmes role whilst Doyle assists him (like Watson.) Dr Neil Cream even makes an appearance in the pilot episode and he ends up killing Doyle’s first girlfriend. Go for it if you haven’t already Abby. Richardson also played Holmes twice and was very good imo.

If you watch any of these and you like them then great. If you don’t like them then someone must have hacked my account to recommend them.​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    started a topic Period piece thrillers!

Period piece thrillers!

Im a fanatic movie guy and one of my favorite genres is the period piece thriller. My favorites:

From Hell
    The Raven (recent one)
    Gothic
    Crimson Peak
    The Other
    The Illusionist
    Bram Stokers Dracula
    Angel Heart

I think these are all mini masterpieces-please let me know your favorites.

Also, I recently saw A Study in Terror and loved it. Whats the best Sherlock Holmes movie?

Working...
X