X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by etenguy View Post
    A tester for you Herlock, or anyone who might know. I have a vague memory of a Sherlock Holmes film which I enjoyed. I do not remember Watson being a character in this film. The plot, as best I remember it, was centred around a woman badly treated by her husband and/or family. They lived in a large house/stately home and the family were well connected with a good reputation. She fears for her life as things escalate and wants to get away. I cannot remember the reason she could not just leave. She lures Sherlock Holmes into helping her. After Sherlock has 'saved' her he confronts her with her deception and tells her he knows she has concocted the whole story. The important clue to discovering her deception has to do with perfume or a perfume bottle. He tells her he helped because of the feelings he has for her, but she rebuffs him and leaves.

I do not remember any useful details, such as character names, and have never come across this plotline in any synopsis of a Sherlock Holmes film I have seen on the internet. It may have been a TV film (or even a dream as i have never found it since seeing it a number of years ago).

Does it ring any bells? To make matters worse, I'm not even sure if i have really remembered the plot very accurately.
    To be honest Eten you have me baffled with this one. It doesn’t sound at all familiar.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Wasn't Jack Palance actually in a Ripper movie? I think it was called The Man in the Attic, and was based on The Lodger.
    He was Joshua.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Great choices, I also liked The Illusionist and the other similar movie with Michael Cain, The Prestige.

I agree with Abby, Murder by Decree was good but the ending was a let down.

I don't know if you remember Jack Palance as Jekyll & Hyde, it's probably dated now. There was one scene with Palance running through a narrow passage towards the camera, top hat & cape swaying in the wind - very Jack the Ripper'ish.

Have you seen The Nine Gates, or The Ninth Gate (something like that). Johnny Depp is an archivist on the hunt for rare books. Black Magic, Witchcraft, etc. Great movie, I watch it every time it comes on.
    Haven’t seen that one Wick. To be honest the problem with me is that I wouldn’t describe myself as a film buff so I often miss out on seeing a film because subject matter doesn’t immediately attract me. I’ve lost count of the films that I’ve read about and thought no but when I’ve seen it by accident later on I’ve found that it’s a great movie.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua Rogan
    replied
    I don't know if you remember Jack Palance as Jekyll & Hyde, it's probably dated now. There was one scene with Palance running through a narrow passage towards the camera, top hat & cape swaying in the wind - very Jack the Ripper'ish.
    Wasn't Jack Palance actually in a Ripper movie? I think it was called The Man in the Attic, and was based on The Lodger.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Abby.

Jekyll and Hyde (by Mansfield) opened on Aug. 4th 1888 at the Lyceum, scheduled to close on Sept. 29th, but there were sporadic performances between 10th Oct. and 20th, according to this Wiki.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Je...yde_(1887_play)

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

Yes, I remember that scene! Question..
    Was Jekyll and Hyde really playing in London during the autumn of terror?
    Yes, newspapers in mid September 1888 report that Jekyll and Hyde continue to draw large audiences at the Lyceum.
    At some point I remember reading the Richard Mansfield play was cancelled, but in other reports I read various theatres began their own smaller productions of the play.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied

Great choices, I also liked The Illusionist and the other similar movie with Michael Cain, The Prestige.

Have you seen The Nine Gates, or The Ninth Gate (something like that). Johnny Depp is an archivist on the hunt for rare books. Black Magic, Witchcraft, etc. Great movie, I watch it every time it comes on.
    Yes, I remember that scene! Question..
    Was Jekyll and Hyde really playing in London during the autumn of terror?

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied

Hi wick
    the ninth gate. It’s ok. I own it. It’s starts out great , but loses steam and gets kind of silly by the end.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Murder By Decree - Which you’ve probably already seen Abby. It stars Christopher Plummer as Holmes and James Mason as Watson and is a working of the Stephen Knight theory with the names changed. Sir William Gull becomes Sir Thomas Spivey for example. Well worth a watch if you haven’t already.

One final recommendation to you and anyone that hasn’t seen it Abby is a tv series available on dvd called Murder Rooms: The Dark Beginnings Of Sherlock Holmes. It stars Ian Richardson as Dr Joseph Bell who was Doyle’s inspiration for Holmes. There was a pilot episode then three further ones. Absolutely brilliant. Bell takes the Holmes role whilst Doyle assists him (like Watson.) Dr Neil Cream even makes an appearance in the pilot episode and he ends up killing Doyle’s first girlfriend. Go for it if you haven’t already Abby. Richardson also played Holmes twice and was very good imo.

If you watch any of these and you like them then great. If you don’t like them then someone must have hacked my account to recommend them.​​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• etenguy
    replied
    A tester for you Herlock, or anyone who might know. I have a vague memory of a Sherlock Holmes film which I enjoyed. I do not remember Watson being a character in this film. The plot, as best I remember it, was centred around a woman badly treated by her husband and/or family. They lived in a large house/stately home and the family were well connected with a good reputation. She fears for her life as things escalate and wants to get away. I cannot remember the reason she could not just leave. She lures Sherlock Holmes into helping her. After Sherlock has 'saved' her he confronts her with her deception and tells her he knows she has concocted the whole story. The important clue to discovering her deception has to do with perfume or a perfume bottle. He tells her he helped because of the feelings he has for her, but she rebuffs him and leaves.

I do not remember any useful details, such as character names, and have never come across this plotline in any synopsis of a Sherlock Holmes film I have seen on the internet. It may have been a TV film (or even a dream as i have never found it since seeing it a number of years ago).

Does it ring any bells? To make matters worse, I'm not even sure if i have really remembered the plot very accurately.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

well now you've ruined it for me!

Don't worry Abby. It’s not important to the plot in any way. It’s a bit like those actors you see in movies about Ancient Rome that are spotted wearing a wristwatch.

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied

Excellent observation Robert. I hadn’t spotted the set up of the board.
    well now you've ruined it for me!

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert View Post
    I must say, Cushing shouldn't have had to cogitate over checkmate in one. And he seems to have been playing with the board the wrong way round (dark square in bottom right/top left corners instead of white).
    Excellent observation Robert. I hadn’t spotted the set up of the board.

Leave a comment:

• Robert
    replied
    I must say, Cushing shouldn't have had to cogitate over checkmate in one. And he seems to have been playing with the board the wrong way round (dark square in bottom right/top left corners instead of white).

Leave a comment:

• Abby Normal
    replied
    By the way, has anyone seen the adaptation of The Alienist? Great book but any good on screen?
    I loved that book and at the time thought this would make a great movie! I was wondering what was taking so long. A TV series came out a few years ago and I saw some of it but thought it sucked. Not really into TV series anyway. It needs a proper movie treatment!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X