Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents Raising "Theybies": Letting Kids Decide Their Gender

c.d.

The world is going utterly insane. What’s wrong with these people?
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

I think the names Zyler and Kadyn speak for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Takod View Post
        I think the names Zyler and Kadyn speak for themselves.
        I can't stand this fad for wacky, made-up names, or incorrect spellings of real ones; apparently "Kadyn" derives from the Scottish "Caden", so why not spell it "Caden"? It smacks either of pretentiousness or ignorance.

Perhaps more apposite in this context, another pet hate is giving kids a name of the wrong gender - Meredith, for example, is almost invariably a girl's name these days, but it's a male name in the original Welsh, and Paris was an important male character in the Trojan War.

Finally, what's the idea of using an obvious surname as a forename? (e.g. the actor McKenzie Crook, golfers Davis Love and Curtis Strange, and the tenor Rogers Covey-Crump). It's akin to giving your kid the first name of "Jenkins" or "Smith", and I find it utterly bizarre.

I could go on, but... mini-rant over
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I just can’t fathom what would go through a parents mind that would make them think that their kids needed to decide for themselves what sex they are. Life is full of difficulties which can’t be solved by simply changing the way we use words or by distorting reality. It wouldn’t make my life any better if I ‘identified’ as a millionaire.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            apparently "Kadyn" derives from the Scottish "Caden", so why not spell it "Caden"? It smacks either of pretentiousness or ignorance.
            It's almost certainly pretentiousness, combined with a complete ignorance of the child's life experience and wellbeing. No one's going to ask how to spell Jack! Yet a Yorkshire girl called Bluberreh and spelt the same is going to have a very hard time explaining their parents' decisions and will probably lead an extensively difficult life.

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes
            I just can’t fathom what would go through a parents mind that would make them think that their kids needed to decide for themselves what sex they are. Life is full of difficulties which can’t be solved by simply changing the way we use words or by distorting reality. It wouldn’t make my life any better if I ‘identified’ as a millionaire.
            Reading "The Second Sex" by Simone de Beauvoir might give some hints as to why on earth this has all come about, unfortunately the only people who are genuinely illuminated after reading it (and not mortified) are probably insane. As for how the parents are fed this trash; it's through the papers, "how to be a happy single mummy" blogs and other such things.

Comment

Another thing that bugs me about names ending in "-yn" is that one would expect "yn" to rhyme with "in", not "en", "an" or "on" - which is how the normal spellings of these names would end. For example, I've seen people called "Jadyn", "Ashtyn", "Jordyn" and even (I kid you not) "Jasyn". Are we to pronounce these as "Jaden", "Ashton", "Jordan" and "Jason", or is it "Jadin", "Ashtin", "Jordin" and "Jasin"? It's bad enough that traditional, and not-so-traditional, names are being mangled, but the conventions of spelling and pronunciation are seemingly being ignored as well.
              Last edited by Sam Flynn; 03-20-2019, 12:10 PM.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

The world is going utterly insane. What's wrong with these people?
                People wanted us to become a more progressive, more feminized society. Here's the result.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Another thing that bugs me about names ending in "-yn" is that one would expect "yn" to rhyme with "in", not "en", "an" or "on" - which is how the normal spellings of these names would end. For example, I've seen people called "Jadyn", "Ashtyn", "Jordyn" and even (I kid you not) "Jasyn". Are we to pronounce these as "Jaden", "Ashton", "Jordan" and "Jason", or is it "Jadin", "Ashtin", "Jordin" and "Jasin"? It's bad enough that traditional, and not-so-traditional, names are being mangled, but the conventions of spelling and pronunciation are seemingly being ignored as well.
                  I sense your pain Garyth

Its a very annoying trend. Even established names aren’t good enough for people these days. Vacuous celebrities should take much of the blame for this. Kids are fashion accessories and the parents appear to care little about the fact their son Jordyn Fluffy Bear is going to spend the rest of his life having the p**s mercilessly taken out of him.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post

People wanted us to become a more progressive, more feminized society. Here's the result.
                    As I’ve said before Harry, as soon as they start taking names for colonising the moon I’m off.
                    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post

I am absolutely shocked, Harry. For some reason I thought you would be a huge proponent of this type of thing.

c.d.

Comment

First, people who think up atrocious neologisms such as "theybies" should be whipped through town at the tail of a cart.

Now that I've got that out of the way, I think the idea of allowing children to decide their own gender is a wise and humane one. Keep in mind that we're speaking of gender roles, which are a social construct, and not of biological sex. It's unfortunate that we use overlapping terminology such as "male" and "female" to describe both sex and gender, as it confuses the issue.

For all that the left has spent the last half-century denying the validity, and even the existence of gender roles, they persist. Personally, I never really had a strong gender identity (biologically male, more gay than straight, although I have reservations about the idea of binary sexual orientation also), and seldom think of myself in gendered terms. I'm just me. That being said, there are people for whom it is desperately important that they be perceived as one or the other gender. For the most part, they're the ones who are going to most consistently act out the role of 'boy' or 'girl', to the extent of being more Royalist than the King, as it were.
                        - Ginger

Comment

I’m sorry but this whole gender thing is the thin end of the wedge. If a child is a boy then he is a boy. If a child is a girl then she is a girl. ‘Gender roles’ are becoming less defined and important and so should be this huge issue that people are willing to try and subvert human biology to accommodate.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Even if these kids turn out to be heterosexual and relatively normal as adults, I can't imagine that there are a lot of heterosexual women out there thinking if only I could meet a guy who doesn't identify as male.

Of course it could be an advantage for a guy. On a date when the check comes and the woman looks at you expecting you to take it you just say sorry I don't follow traditional gender roles. Why don't you pick this one up?

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

I am absolutely shocked, Harry. For some reason I thought you would be a huge proponent of this type of thing.

c.d.
                              Lowest form of wit.

Comment

Working...
                              X