Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by babybird67 View Post
    Julie, that is sooo funny!
    The orgy of mutual back slapping,and head nodding has begun......as my crystal ball predicted.

Comment

• The idea that "Winter Holiday" or "Winterval" is being held in place of christmas is based on a misunderstanding of basic facts. One city council (Birmingham) did hold a Winterval, twice. In 1997-1998, and 1998-99. Except it did not "replace" Christmas, it celebrated Christmas as well as the holidays from other nominations as well as christmas. In one city, exxactly twice, over a decade ago.

"Winter Holidays" is a term used largely by Human Resources, or institutions like schools, to describe the holidays taken by many people in Winter. It in no way stops Christmas being a recognised celebration, or bank holiday. Which by the way is a rather modern invention. Certainly at the time of the Body Snatcher Trials for Burke and Hare the courts still sat on the Holy Day of Christmas day, which was by no means a Holiday. It is only a hundred years or so since the big celebration with music and cheer stopped being held on Twelth Night. So being quite so defensive about a "traditional" Christams is a little short sighted seeing how much it has changed in such a short time. Especially when the term in no way excludes the celebration, has a little or no meaning to the wider public, is only used internally by some institutions who choose to do so, and is used purely in recognition that not everybody will celebrate, or even take their leave, over the christmas period.

The best debunking I know of the "Winterval" claims is here:
      Yesterday, Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles issued a press release entitled 'Councils should take pride in Christmas celebrations.' I...
      There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

• Originally posted by glyn View Post
        It will affect me TOM as it will affect you and everyone else,the cost will be met by every tax payer,printing in several languages costs money.In Wales Bills are printed in English and Welsh,the cost was stated somewhere ,but I admit I cant produce the figures for .Now I m not gonna get involved in an argument as to whether or not those bills Should or should not be printed in both English AND Welsh.iM PAST CARING FRANKLY.

Why, those bills are produced by a computer once a quarter. In other countries it costs absolutely nothing extra to have your account set to translate, automatically, to another language. The resources used are the same, and exactly the same number of bills are produced. Besides which only one of the bills you mentioned can be seen to effect tax payers. Water, Electricity, etc, are utility bills, produced by Private Sector suppliers since Mrs Thatcher was in government. Why would tax payers meet the cost of a service offered by a private company?

Comment

Its GLYN by the way, Not GYN......
          Some of us look to the future....doesnt really need a crystal ball to see the language issue.
          Some of us are still living in the 1920s.
          If I can decipher your gibberish ,I can decipher ANY gibberish.
          Seems its the gang of four - 1.
          Is that not childish playground cat calling you complained about in others?

Comment

I think we all know where your nose is Tom.
            Is that not more of the childish catcalling you were complaining about?

Comment

The orgy of mutual back slapping,and head nodding has begun......as my crystal ball predicted.
              Wow, three posts doing exactly what you complain about others doing. Do you want to decide if it is a good thing or bad once and for all so we can move back on topic?

Comment

• Originally posted by TomTomKent View Post
                Why, those bills are produced by a computer once a quarter. In other countries it costs absolutely nothing extra to have your account set to translate, automatically, to another language. The resources used are the same, and exactly the same number of bills are produced. Besides which only one of the bills you mentioned can be seen to effect tax payers. Water, Electricity, etc, are utility bills, produced by Private Sector suppliers since Mrs Thatcher was in government. Why would tax payers meet the cost of a service offered by a private company?
                Splitting hairs seems to be the order of they day.Yes Water/ elec /gas bills will be paid for by the consumer,who indeed is also a tax payer,except for those who dont pay tax,but there again even non paye tax payers/non taxpayers pay indirect tax,i.e petrol duty, vat and such like,so I think its in order to class everyone as tax payers.But notwithstanding the hair splitting,the extra cost will have to be paid for.................by the tax payer.

zzzzzzzz

Comment

• Originally posted by TomTomKent View Post
                  Wow, three posts doing exactly what you complain about others doing. Do you want to decide if it is a good thing or bad once and for all so we can move back on topic?
                  Your crowd deflected the thread by refferring to idiotic Mass Murder threats...........and posts about exactly what constitutes childishness.

Comment

Your crowd deflected the thread by refferring to idiotic Mass Murder threats...........and posts about exactly what constitutes childishness.
                    No actually Glyn. I posted a post about immigration and YOU deflected the thread by saying you could accuse me of reporting your post, but weren't going to.

So YOU derailed the thread. No us 'crowd' whoever that is.
                    babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

Splitting hairs seems to be the order of they day.Yes Water/ elec /gas bills will be paid for by the consumer,who indeed is also a tax payer,except for those who dont pay tax,but there again even non paye tax payers/non taxpayers pay indirect tax,i.e petrol duty, vat and such like,so I think its in order to class everyone as tax payers.But notwithstanding the hair splitting,the extra cost will have to be paid for.................by the tax payer.
                      zzzzzzzz
                      Sorry -but WHEN will the extra cost have to be paid? This is not an event based on fact but one that you 'can see in your crystal ball'. You seem to have complete lost the plot as far as this debate goes.

Now immigrants are being made responsible for something that hasn't even happend!

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post

First off, you're joking, aren't you? Here's one that stuck in my mind :

The BBC has dismissed a local radio presenter in Bristol after she made 'completely unacceptable comments' about Asian cab drivers. By Jemima Kiss

I'm still trying to figure out what could possibly be threatening about Sikhs.
                        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• True

Originally posted by johns View Post

So no problem then.... except I couldn't help wondering.... wondering about the folks of Ghana... and the fact that they're missing this doctor's skill and knowledge.

Excellent point, and one I have always supported.

Comment

• Originally posted by Errata View Post
                            I'm still trying to figure out what could possibly be threatening about Sikhs.
                            Their turbans apparently. They're so much more frightening than baseball caps worn back to front.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post

They were over the bloody moon. They were showing some loyalty to their adopted city. Good for them.

And those are precisely the sort of immigrant I for one would welcome with open arms - unfortunately there seems to be a sizable number whose only purpose in being here is to abuse our customs, commit as many crimes as they can get away with and who shout 'Racism' from the rooftops when you try and curtail their nefarious activities and 'I've only murdered three people you have to let me stay and make it a round dozen'.

But instead of being allowed to chuck out those people we are forced to keep them here to carry on their evil ways as apparently deporting them is against their human rights!

Comment

• True

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                                Their turbans apparently. They're so much more frightening than baseball caps worn back to front.
                                Interesting point you have made their and one that illustrates a point I made a while ago about basic fairness. If I tried to ride a motorcycle without wearing a helmet I am committing an offence, if a Sikh does not wear a helmet he is not - one law for us one law for them. If I carry a knife stuck into my belt going around the streets I would be arrested for carrying an offensive weapon - if a sikh does it he's not.

You see it makes people very angry that the law will excuse behaviour in one section of society, but will prosecute another section for doing exactly the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X