Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wedding Hat Rorshach Test

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
    Tara whatsername's hat looked like she had a giant blue vagina attached to her forehead.

It was hideous, and yet I couldn't stop staring.
    Hey Magpie, you've just given me an idea.

Psychologists could use a new modern type of Rorschach test: instead of evaluating patients using smeary old inkblots, the psychologists could show them different types of hats.

And they could use all kinds of hats- bowlers, slouch hats, bonnets, giant blue, um, wedding hats...

I wonder how many people will still say "It looks like my mother"/ "the spiders in my head" / or various human sexual organs?

Cheers,
    Archaic

Comment

Do the women wear these hats to draw attention to themselves, or to draw attention away from their faces? I can't get inside their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Zeppelin View Post
        Don't get the big deal about the hats at the Royal Wedding.

It's far worse/outrageous at the Royal Ascot horse races every year.
        Yes but Royal Ascot is [B]all about[B] the hats. They are secondary to the race.

A wedding is supposed to be tasteful - at least I expect more taste from the Royals. It's supposed to be what sets them apart - otherwise - what's the point of them?

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
          Yes but Royal Ascot is [B]all about[B] the hats. They are secondary to the race.

A wedding is supposed to be tasteful - at least I expect more taste from the Royals. It's supposed to be what sets them apart - otherwise - what's the point of them?
          I think there is a difference between taste and dignity. Royals frequently trot out appalling outfits, but the goal is always dignity. Beatrice and Eugenie have consistently displayed a sense of humor in their attire. Which I appreciate. They are not always dignified, and I think that's why they stand out. People attending weddings usually choose something either dignified, or celebratory. I think the princesses went with celebratory. While it made them somewhat conspicuous, I do not think it demonstrates a lack of respect.
          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Oh god - don't get me started here! My mother compared Beatrice and her Royal sister to the ugly sisters in Cinderella - and indeed I laughed out loud! You can't blame them for the designer though - I know she's famous and very celebrated but I do think many of the outfits she churns out are a little on the hideous side- but that is my opinion. I do feel extremely sorry for them though getting all this bad press about it though and I believe it must be terribly embarrassing for them!

Comment

That's true. It's not as if they made their own outfits. If they had turned up looking too good they'd have been attacked for trying to upstage the Bride. If they don't look good they get criticism.

Eugenie is actually very beautiful.

Comment

I agree with all that. Unfortunately the dress supplied to Eugenie was rather ghastly and didn't look like the kind of dress a royal would wear to a wedding. There's the fine line they cannot cross either way so being a royal must be incredibly difficult that I know that I would certainly not like to be one. But no matter what happened, bombardment by the press criticizing one thing or another was inevitable. This time I was not surprised that what came into the firing range was Beatrice's hat!

Comment

Originally posted by JtRMordke View Post
                  I agree with all that. Unfortunately the dress supplied to Eugenie was rather ghastly and didn't look like the kind of dress a royal would wear to a wedding. There's the fine line they cannot cross either way so being a royal must be incredibly difficult that I know that I would certainly not like to be one. But no matter what happened, bombardment by the press criticizing one thing or another was inevitable. This time I was not surprised that what came into the firing range was Beatrice's hat!
                  I gree totally. I would not to be a Royal. They have no real privacy and are always on public view. A good few of them (such as our Queen and her daughter) work very hard indeed. They have different pressures from the rest of us. They don't have to worry much about money and they can have new outfits frequently. However they can't just slope off to the the cinema or an art gallery whenever they wish and I bet the Queen never gets to slop around in her jimjams!

Comment

Also, talk about the restrictions. I remember at Christmas time on the news when they were talking about Kate spending her last Christmas with her family before she was no longer allowed to do this and had to spend it with the rest of the Royals. And just a couple of months ago in the papers they were commenting on her new prestige and altered dress sense to avoid wearing clothes that would cast a shadow over her new Royal reputation. Whenever a Royal makes a public appearance I always think to myself how awful it must be to have every move analysed, especially at the wedding where you had the coverage team making constant remarks on clothes and what have you. A pretty miserable existence despite all the glamour stamped to it.

Comment

I doubt the Royals are particularly bothered by what we 'lesser' mortals think of their dress sense etc. When Thatcher the Milk Snatcher once asked the Palace if her blue frock might clash with what the Queen planned to wear at some function, the reply came to the effect that the Queen did not concern herself with such (vulgar - left unspoken but implied) matters.

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                      I think this entirely misses the point actually, Limehouse.

If the Royals can't be tasteless and get away with it, who on earth can? Taste is often learned or bought, but style is something in the blood, and a goodly dollop of it can sometimes make up for an eccentric hat choice.

The difference between the tasteful, poised and perfectly behaved Middletons and the less so Princes and Princesses, with their safe Royal heads, is that the latter were born with the means to impress without having to try too hard.

It's the middle classes who tend to bang on about the 'right' way to look or behave. Look at how the Royals have performed historically, especially when they were much more of a law unto themselves.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      Last edited by caz; 05-13-2011, 07:02 PM.
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Beatrice's Hat..

.. Was a stroke of genius on the part of her dressers. The hat stole the show, no question - who was actually looking at Beatrice with that hat going on?

Comment

But now the hat is being auctioned off with the money going to UNICEF. So bravo Beatrice!
                          The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Now that's what is known as style, as opposed to taste.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                            X