No announcement yet.

Recently watched movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You should watch "Hands of the Ripper." One of the victims is murdered with a hatpin.

Comment

• You need hands...

Originally posted by Robert View Post
      You should watch "Hands of the Ripper." One of the victims is murdered with a hatpin.
      Yes, which gave rise to the awful fear that "Jack" may indeed be a milliner!!! Or worse yet, someone involved in the business of "Hairdressing"!!!

The original Hammerfilms Trailer from 1971.Original: Hands of the RipperCountry: UKRelease: 1971Director: Peter SasdyActors:Eric Porter...

Best wishes,

Zodiac.
      And thus I clothe my naked villainy
      With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
      And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        Regarding A Face in the Crowd

I don't want to mention any names but there were several TV personalities from the 1950s who were not as they seemed and that this movie could have been based on.

Tennessee Ernie Ford was the big TV Country personality of that era and I will say with confidence that it was not based on him, if he's the one who comes to anyone's mind.
        The other 50s TV personality with Country singer roots was George Gobel and I would be very surprised if the film was based on him as well. He always seemed like a gentleman in every sense.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Finally got around to watching "Voyage Of The Dawn Treader".

Incredible! They finally get the Narnia films right, now there's question whether the series will continue. Typical!
          “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• Les Aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec

The story of adventurer Adèle Blanc-Sec set in 1911, who has mortally, inadvertantly wounded her twin sister with a hatpin during a tennis match and must find a way to save her... Just watched this and I loved it - it's a lot of fun!

The Pterodactyl-Riding scene was particularly good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sally View Post
              The story of adventurer Adèle Blanc-Sec set in 1911, who has mortally, inadvertantly wounded her twin sister with a hatpin during a tennis match and must find a way to save her... Just watched this and I loved it - it's a lot of fun!

The Pterodactyl-Riding scene was particularly good.

I loved it too! It was a lot of fun--I wish they'd hurry up and release the sequel.

The hatpin scene was incredibly disturbing in the context of the film.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                I loved it too! It was a lot of fun--I wish they'd hurry up and release the sequel.

The hatpin scene was incredibly disturbing in the context of the film.
                It was - it was shocking. I found it hard to look! It's an excellent, well crafted film and like you, I can't wait for the sequel!

Comment

• Just watched "Safe House", and rather enjoyed it.
                  I confess that altruistic and cynically selfish talk seem to me about equally unreal. With all humility, I think 'whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might,' infinitely more important than the vain attempt to love one's neighbour as one's self. If you want to hit a bird on the wing you must have all your will in focus, you must not be thinking about yourself, and equally, you must not be thinking about your neighbour; you must be living with your eye on that bird. Every achievement is a bird on the wing.
                  Oliver Wendell Holmes

Comment

• If you get a chance to watch "The Sorcerer and the White Snake", you should take it. Lot of fun, and some beautiful cinematography.

Also, the Thais have been catching up in the epic martial arts genre--Queens of Langkasuka (aka Legend of the Tsunami Warrior) was a lot of fun to watch. Great special effects and good characters.

Comment

• Wrath of the Titans.

Not having terribly high expectations of this sequel to the distinctly mediocre 2010 remake of Clash of the Titans, I was pleasantly surprised by this, the second in a planned trilogy of films.

The plot isn't a challengej - naughty but fairly dim gods Hades and Ares decide to make a Zeus-destroying deal with their imprisoned Tiatn dad Cronos in retrun for being allowed to keep their immortality in the face of weakening god powers as humanity learns not to believe in them.

Enter Perseus and his delightful steed Pegasus to save the day.

It's a well paced film, a great Chimera scrap in the first five minutes and non-stop action to the end. As it isn't overly long, there's not enough time to really start questioning the internal logic of the film.

Gods Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes seem to be enjoying themselves, and Rosamund Pike is suitably Amazonish to play the warrior queen Andromeda. The film also has a strong family theme which helps the creaky plot along nicely.

Other than the fact that Pegasus is (still) black, when of course he should be white; this film succeeds rather better than its predecessor.

And best of all, we get to see the best God toy ever, Bubo, who deserves his own movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z8RcMykClQ

Comment

• Last night we watched From Hell. First of all, I want to say as a sidenote, I called my mother, who was interested in seeing any JTR movie, and told her it was on.

She said to me, "The movie from Hell is on and you want me to watch it?!" I may have to rephrase how I advise this movie is on to watch, lol.

Second of all, how in the world did they ever make all that up? Abberline was not a drug addict, worked after he retired from Scotland Yard, and was married to a woman till he died years later, and was middleaged.

Always like Depp, that girl playing Kelly was likeable, nice to see the scenes of the 1888 London they concoct so well.

But???!!

Comment

• Hands of The Ripper

A 1971 classic from Hammer - it's so hard to imagine anybody taking it seriously now, though I suppose at the time it must have seemed scary! Premise for anybody who hasn't seen it is that Jack's daughter, Anna, witnesses him killing her mother as a child after her mother notices that her husband is covered in blood and of course must be the Ripper!

'You're the Ripper!' she cries, sensationally, in their dimly lit flat in Berner Street (!) And Jack has no option of course but to do her in there and then.

20 years later, Anna is posessed by the spirit of her father and develops a penchant for stabbing women with whatever comes to hand - pokers, swords, hatpins, whatever..

Great fun, especially the comedy prostitutes parading up and down Berner Street like Eliza Doolittles naughty sisters...

Comment

• One of my favourite scenes from The Avengers, starting around 6.15 :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Bleached white by a laser. It's so wacky.

Comment

• AngelHeart-just watched again. Great movie.

What i still cant figure out is: Is Mickey Rourkes charactor-- Johnny Favorites body/face and Harry Angels soul or the other way around?

Its very confusing who and what is who's.

Comment

• Just saw "The Avengers" tonight. Now I am an admitted comic book geek, but-- Oh. My. God. Total superhero overload. I am in geek heaven.

And oh by the way, I can't recall when the last time was that I heard an audience applaud at the end of a movie, but I heard it tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X