No announcement yet.

Recently watched movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched "The Exorcist" the other night. This was the 2000 version which was digitally restored and had additional footage. I remember seeing the original and although I thought it was good, I was disappointed that it fell far short of the book which is so often the case. For whatever reason the 2000 version was very good and I really enjoyed the movie and yes, it came across as damn scary.

I was reading some background on the movie and the original case on which the book and movie were based. The case concerned a young boy in the late 1940s who received a series of exorcisms as a result of his alleged possession. The priests who participated in the exorcisms believed that it was a genuine case of possession. The ritual of exorcism was performed thirty times over a period of two months.When the final exorcism was complete, it is alleged that there was a loud noise, noted as a "thunderclap" or "shotgun" throughout the floors of the hospital. After this pandemonium, Robbie Mannheim (the possessed boy) declared "It's over. It's over."

As far as the movie goes, both Linda Blair and Ellen Burstyn suffered permanent back injuries as a result of being yanked violently around by harnesses.

The bedroom was refrigerated and freezing cold so that the actor's breath would show.

There were strange occurrences during filming and many of the film's participants claimed the film was cursed.

I don't live too far from Georgetown University where a number of scenes were filmed and I frequently walk by the famous Exorcist steps.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
      I don't live too far from Georgetown University where a number of scenes were filmed and I frequently walk by the famous Exorcist steps.
      c.d.
      Careful not to fall there, C.D.! ;-)
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab View Post
        Careful not to fall there, C.D.! ;-)
        Fall? Hell, just walking up them can kill you.

c.d.

Comment

• I have the perfect quote (for the Quote movie lines thread) about The Exorcist (from Scary movie), but it would get me banned. ;-)
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab View Post
            I have the perfect quote (for the Quote movie lines thread) about The Exorcist (from Scary movie), but it would get me banned. ;-)
            Ah c'mon, Maria don't tease us like that. Can't you phrase it euphenistically?

By the way, the whole Scary Movie series is funny as hell.

c.d.

Comment

• OK, here goes:
              "Look, if it's about that time I puked green slime and ma*****ated with a crucifix, it was my first keg party, Bobby."
              I love the Scary movie franchise too, in fact, I adore spoof movies, even the silliest ones.
              Best regards,
              Maria

Comment

• Hi Maria,

Yeah, that's a good line. The whole series is just full of them. I think it is the second movie where they do a take off of the Exorcist vomiting scene. Only this time the priest vomits back and they try to vomit on each other like a gun fight. Funny as hell.

c.d.

Comment

• I think I sorta recall the vomiting-duel. Normally it would've been cheap and stupid, but as an Exorcist spoof it's very funny. I also liked Airplane and even the Naked gun series. My all favorite is Spaceballs.
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

• "May the schwartz be with you" Maria.
                    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

• "and don't call me Shirley."

Leslie Nielsen in Airplane. May he rest in peace.

c.d.

Comment

• To C.D. and Corey:
                        He he. I mostly loved Rick Moranis playing with his dolls.
                        And - "Roger.“ - “Huh?“ And the Saturday night fever spoof.
                        Wow, is Leslie Nielsen dead?
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

• Hello Maria,

Sadly, yes.
                          Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

• Wow. I've heard that before Airplane he used to do action parts, and then turned to comedy.
                            Best regards,
                            Maria

Comment

• Hi Maria,

Yes, I am sad to say that he died about a month ago.

c.d.

Comment

• Sorry to hear it. Somehow I didn't get wind of it (I was working so hard all December, until Xmas). I hope that German TV comes around to doing a retrospective about him, since they play the Naked gun series pretty often anyway. The Germans love it.
                                I've never seen any of his old movies, only the comedies.
                                Best regards,
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X