No announcement yet.

Recently watched movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lou Costello died 50 years ago today. In honor, I'm watching Hold That Ghost tonight.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      Lou Costello died 50 years ago today. In honor, I'm watching Hold That Ghost tonight.

I first saw that when I was about 8 years old and it scared the poop out of me.

I loved The Mist. I liked the novella, and I thought the movie adapted it very well. The ending was incredible (very unusual by American standards)
      “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• I picked up copies of "Paschendaele" and "Australia" for this weekend. I'm looking forward to the former, since I've seen a couple of really good documentaries on the making of it (the most expensive film in Canadian history). Did anyone outside of Canada happen to see it?

Comment

• I see that a remake of Last House on the Left is about to be released. Did anyone view the original and was it any good by today's standards? I heard some tales about it when it first came out but I've never seen it.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
            I see that a remake of Last House on the Left is about to be released. Did anyone view the original and was it any good by today's standards? I heard some tales about it when it first came out but I've never seen it.

Hi

I've seen a couple of versions of it (there's several floating around, although the "full" version seems to have been lost).

If ever a movie deserved the label of "video nasty" it's this one. It's nasty, mean-spirited and spiteful, with the sole "redeeming" quality being that most of the nastiness in the latter half of the movie is directed at thoroughly loathsome characters who deserved if. Quite frankly, if it wasn't for the future careers of Sean Cunningham and Wes Craven, this movie would have descended into well-deserved obscurity years ago.

edit: oh, and by today's standards it would actually be considered both boring and (visually) tame. Despite the underlying sadism of the story, there's not a lot of really graphic violence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magpie View Post
              I picked up copies of "Paschendaele" and "Australia" for this weekend. I'm looking forward to the former, since I've seen a couple of really good documentaries on the making of it (the most expensive film in Canadian history). Did anyone outside of Canada happen to see it?
              The trailer looked good...Lots of history buffs were hoping it'd get over here,but it never made it.....
              Steve

Comment

• Last night the wife and I settled down and watched "Be Kind Rewind" a comedy about a video rental store where the tapes are erased!

What follows is an hilarious but warm hearted comedy were the duo who are running the store, must re-film all the films, triggering an hilarious chain of events!

Great movie that warmed the cockles!
                Regards Mike

Comment

• Thanks Magpie! Currently, I plan to see the new version but, so far, I've only seen the previews for it and the original. How did the first Last House on the Left compare to near contemporaries like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I Spit on Your Grave which I have seen?

Stan Reid

Comment

• Saw 5

The wife and I sat down and watched this the other day, and loved it, but it didn't match upto the first few, and there were more questions than answers.
                    That said, it was a gut wrenching, bone crushing, blood spilling, rollercoaster ride of fun!! Thoroughly recommended, but only to those who have sat through the previous 4!

And!! A New Rollercoaster has opened at Thorpe Park based on the movie series!!
                    Regards Mike

Comment

• No wild endorsement but Australia was entertaining.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Just finished watching the 2003 version of Zatoichi.

It's really good--I think the producers were trying to tailor it slightly more for a western audience, and it worked.

There's a totally bizarre "Riverdance meets The Mikado" dance scene at the end that beggers belief though

Comment

• And I sat down again last night and watched 'From Hell'.

The costumes and the settings were so realistic. The actors were so good.

What a load of c*** about the plot. Why can't these people get past Stephen Knight? Abberline as a drug user wanting to run off with MJK who wasn't killed?

The real story is so much more interesting. But then, I guess, it won't get as*** on seats.

Anyway, I watched it again.
                          http://oznewsandviews.proboards.com

Comment

• 'The Talented Mr Ripley' which I have seen many times but never tire of watching!

Comment

• Candyman, classic horror from many moons ago! The wife has never seen the film, so we watched it last night, and she enjoyed it, but got confused at the mixing of reality, dreams, and flashbacks!
                              Regards Mike

Comment

• I saw a live-action version of "Asterix at the Olympics" last night.

A lot of fun, marred only slightly by having to read subtitles throughout.

Comment

Working...
                                X