No announcement yet.

Where have all the accents gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He speaks very well. He is not unlike Chicagoans in that regard.

Mike
    huh?

Comment

Hi,
      I've noted (watching movies) that "Abberline" is sometimes pronounced "Abberline" like "line", and sometimes "Abberleen".
      Is it a matter of accents?
      If not, which pronunciation is correct?
      Thanks

Comment

Barack Obama

Originally posted by bodiam View Post
        Well he's not from Chicago now is he? Born in Kenya, moved to Hawaii, then off to Indonesia. Attended university in California,New York and Massachusetts. Spent the odd year or two community organizing in Chicago and avoiding the good Reverend Wright's sermons and then globbed onto a government job in Washington, D.C. So whatever he sounds like it's definitely not Chicago.
        Hello Bodiam,

Barack Obama was not born in Kenya. He was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, on 4 August 1961.

His father, also called Barack Obama, was born in Kenya, while his mother, Ann Dunham, grew up in Wichita, Kansas. At the time of Obama’s birth, both his parents were students at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. They separated when he was two years old and later divorced. Obama’s father went to Harvard to pursue Ph. D. studies and then returned to Kenya.

Obama’s mother married a student from Indonesia. In 1967, the family moved to Jakarta, where Obama attended school. In 1971 he returned to Hawaii to live with his maternal grandparents. His mother died of cancer in 1995.

Obama graduated from the Punahou Academy in 1979. After high school, he studied at Occidental College in Los Angeles for two years. He then transferred to Columbia University in New York, graduating in 1983 with a degree in political science. In 1985 he moved to Chicago where he worked at the Business International Corporation, and later was a community organizer with low-income residents in Roseland and the Altgeld Gardens public housing development in Chicago’s South Side.

Cheers
        Hook
        Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
        Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
          I've noted (watching movies) that "Abberline" is sometimes pronounced "Abberline" like "line", and sometimes "Abberleen".

Neither. It's "Throat-Warbler Mangrove"
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Gareth,

Was that a Python in your pocket?

Mike
            huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
              Gareth,

Was that a Python in your pocket?
              ...nobody's ever had cause to say that before!
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Gareth,

Just a good turn for a rugger.

Mike
                huh?

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
                  Hi,
                  Is it a matter of accents?
                  Hello David

I asked the same question on the 'lost' boards and got the same sort of answers (in my friend Sam's case EXACTLY the same answer)

Being English I would pronounce it Abber-line.

I imagine that in French it would be Abber-leen (Abber-ligne?)

I reckon Americans would say Abber-leen also, like that place in the song where women don't treat males mean (sic)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Barack's paternal grandmother is on record as stating she was present at his birth in Nairobi. There are numerous lawsuits pending demanding he prove he was born in Hawaii and it would be a simple matter for Mr Obama to do so, yet he refuses to release his birth records. This is a very serious matter as if Mr Obama is not a natural born citizen he is ineligible to serve as president.

Comment

Hi Stephen,
                      merci beaucoup.

Bodiam,
                      I've never understood this American law. Will it change?

Comment

Hi David,

I had the same question. I was pronouncing it Abber-line, but then I heard a British person pronounce it Abber--leen, although it sounded more like Abber--lee, actually. So maybe it depends less on what country you're in and more on where you are in the country you're in!

As far as changing the requirements for eligibility, there has been some talk about it, but it has come to nothing so far.

So speaking of pronunciation, do you pronounce your name Dah-veed or David?

Good wishes,

Cel
                        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

In fact, that's Dāvi in Provenįal, Dawit in Amharic.
                          About Obama, are some republicans trying to invalidate the election because this birthplace?
                          Which means they would trust his black grandparents...?!

Affectueusement,
                          Dahveed

Comment

Hi David,

Some can't conceive of losing the election to the Democrats, as Carl Rove's vision was of a permanent Republican administration, their version of the thousand year reich. Others can't conceive of an African-American in office.

Here's one of many sites that shows the requirements for eligibility to be president. Note anon15065 and subsequent post by catapult43, down the page a bit.

A person must be a US citizen who is at least 35 years old to run for president. Additionally, those who run for president usually...

This is off topic, so I guess we ought to hold this discussion on one of the other two threads dealing with the election.

Here's wishing you and the family a lovely weekend, Dahveed.

Best, as always,

Cel
                            Last edited by Celesta; 11-15-2008, 05:50 AM.
                            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I would hope so since it is silly. Prevents me from running for president and that is just heartbreaking.

Comment

Originally posted by bodiam View Post
                                Barack's paternal grandmother is on record as stating she was present at his birth in Nairobi. There are numerous lawsuits pending demanding he prove he was born in Hawaii and it would be a simple matter for Mr Obama to do so, yet he refuses to release his birth records. This is a very serious matter as if Mr Obama is not a natural born citizen he is ineligible to serve as president.
                                Hello Bodiam,

First, I think it's a matter of being a native, nor a natural. Secondly, doesn't America observe the jus sanguinis principle besides the jus soli one? In oter words, don't the children of American citizens born abroad have a right to American citizenship in the same manner as all children born in American soil have that right?

All the best,
                                Hook
                                Asante Mungu leo ni Ijumaa.
                                Old Swahili Proverb

Comment

Working...
                                X