Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• here here!

and to add fuel to this warming fire..

Godt Nytt År alle sammen! (Happy New Year everybody!)

from minus 22C here in south eastern Norway.

have a good one all

Phil
    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
    Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
      here here!

and to add fuel to this warming fire..

Godt Nytt År alle sammen! (Happy New Year everybody!)

from minus 22C here in south eastern Norway.

have a good one all

Phil
      Bravo Phil!
      Amen!
      They must come with their languages !

A populu fattu! Corsica!
      Osco Manosco! Where's my M16?

Comment

• BUMPED!

only because I found it very interesting, especially Gareth's dissection on the way the Wenglish of South Wales is going. I hope to never lose this accent of mine and I'm to hear such shock in people when I open my mouth in places such as London or elsewhere.

What may sound ridiculous to others I happily embrace!

Comment

• It does seem to be happening here in the States too...Regional accents seem to falling by the wayside...I was born and raised in the American South east,home of that famous "southern drawl", and fewer and fewer of us speak it. And no 'transplant' can speak it properly..."Southern" has its own grammer..(most common error: 'You all' pronounced "Y'awl' is always plural, never ever singular...)

But, and I assume this is correct for the UK too, Regional accents are very regional. Go 200 miles away and you find an entirely different accent...

But regional accents are part of our culture and part of our character..It helps makes us what we are...as someone else said.."Long live the Regional accent!"

Comment

• I think it's true that there are regions in the UK where the local accent hasn't been lost but has perhaps changed slightly. For example - I believe the Merseyside accent has become more distinctly 'Merseyside' and a little less 'Lancashire' but I could be completely wrong.

Here in the south east - the local accent has been diluted by incomers from London and the London region. I live in Peterborough and have been here 22 years. When I arrived - almost all of the local people had a Fen accent. Today you have to travel out of town a few miles to hear the accent spoken widely.

In a similar way - the traditional working class London accent is heard widely miles away from London - in Essex - Bedfordshire - Hertfordshire and other counties that embraced the London 'overspill'.

I do think it's a shame that some accents have faded as they are certainly an important part of the local culture and tradition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
              I think it's true that there are regions in the UK where the local accent hasn't been lost but has perhaps changed slightly. For example - I believe the Merseyside accent has become more distinctly 'Merseyside' and a little less 'Lancashire' but I could be completely wrong.

Here in the south east - the local accent has been diluted by incomers from London and the London region. I live in Peterborough and have been here 22 years. When I arrived - almost all of the local people had a Fen accent. Today you have to travel out of town a few miles to hear the accent spoken widely.

In a similar way - the traditional working class London accent is heard widely miles away from London - in Essex - Bedfordshire - Hertfordshire and other counties that embraced the London 'overspill'.

I do think it's a shame that some accents have faded as they are certainly an important part of the local culture and tradition.
              The scouse accent was created by the influx of irish and welsh into the city port mixing with the traditional accent of the area.You only need to go 8-10 miles east of liverpool to St.Helens to hear something quite different(no-one could suggest that Johnny Vegas sounds remotely scouse).
              Some accents are more easily lost than others as well.I remember when one of my best friends on leaving school went to plymouth and joined the navy.He came home 6 months later and i could barely understand a word.
              People don't lose strong accents though like scottish,irish,geordie and scouse.
              You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Working...
              X