Where have all the accents gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lyn View Post
    I mean, what on Earth does "A'hht, y'ahat? Daynnthar?" mean?
    Good grief! I've lived here, or in the South, all my life, and I have no idea what this is!

Is this supposed to be "yall alright?" What is "A'hht"?

How was yall's Halloween, Lynners?

PS--"rigor-ear" !! :-)
    Last edited by Celesta; 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM.
    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
      Recieved as in correct. Like BBC english. I have quite a throaty voice too have been likened to Mariella Fostrop.
      Oooh Gawd so have I !!!

- I prefer being likened (vocally!) to Jo Brand though trouble is it does tend to bring on my 'I used to be a psychiatric nurse ' line!!! Blesser!!!

Lynners-So I turns round and sez- 'Eeay moi babes yew alroight? Oi'm well kushti me,cummin' dahn moi ace for a wet we k'n go dahn One Stop 'n get well 'kin sorted ? ' heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

WHY does it take soooo bl*** long to type in the 'vernacular!'....cos yew 'as to talk it first dont'cha, kai? Nai what I means alroight??

S'well good tho' 'innit ...Well Kush...moi babes

Suz xx

Lyn'll know the difference between the Pompey 'Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' and the Sth'amptun 'Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'-------- Took me ages to drop the Whaaaaaaaa- a good move when you're up for a 24yr stretch in a Paulsgrove (famous for the paedophilia riots) Secondary School......The thing that amazed me most watching those news reports then apart from saying 'Ooh Gawd I used to teach her!'- was the fact that they could spell Paedophile!!!! LOL ))
      Last edited by Suzi; 11-02-2008, 06:43 PM.
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Celesta View Post
        Good grief! I've lived here, or in the South, all my life, and I have no idea what this is!

Is this supposed to be "yall alright?" What is "A'hht"?

How was yall's Halloween, Lynners?

PS--"rigor-ear" !! :-)
        That's how it sounds to me, Cel! (Remember, this is Madison County.)

"Rigor - ear" really made me laugh! =) But I must admit, the "Dayn there in the big box boi the brussel sprayts" made me laugh harder!!

Our niece showed up as usual on the 31st.. this time she floored me when, as she was almost out the door, she suddenly turned and started delving into her bag, and took a peppermint out (note that it wasn't one of those delightful candy corn Kisses) saying, "ah neeyyyyd sumthn to cm back fur nxt yrrrr" or something. Lord, now I have another thing to dust around =)
        Last edited by Lyn; 11-02-2008, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
          'Eeay moi babes yew alroight? Oi'm well kushti me,cummin' dahn moi ace for a wet we k'n go dahn One Stop 'n get well 'kin sorted ? ' heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
          Suz xx
          Be there soon as oi get mi flippin passport sorted, Suz xx

Comment

He he going dahn the slots 'eh- and for serious excoitment- The old Gossy ferry!!! xxxxxxxxx Heeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Suz x

Comment

Lyn'll know the difference between the Pompey 'Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' and the Sth'amptun 'Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'-------- Took me ages to drop the Whaaaaaaaa- a good move when you're up for a 24yr stretch in a Paulsgrove (famous for the paedophilia riots) Secondary School......The thing that amazed me most watching those news reports then apart from saying 'Ooh Gawd I used to teach her!'- was the fact that they could spell Paedophile!!!! LOL ))
              You edited, Suz =)

There is a definite difference (or defnit diffrunce) between a Pompey "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" and a S********* "whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa". Especially after a 4 - 1 score.

Just glad you came over to the roight soide, Suz. xx

Comment

Better than half a lettuce, Lyn!
                "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Or a 90p cucumber, Cel =)

Comment

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! Good old Shep!! I've known him for years!!!

hehe
                    Scummer Suz x

Comment

Lyn,

It's best we don't tell them, here, about pulled pork!! We'll stick to BBQ'ed ribs, then.

Comment

Blimey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you admit to 'er pulling pork??????

Comment

Yes, Suzi was once commissioned to paint a muriel on Shep Wooley's daughter's wall. Thank goodness they understood each other =)

Cel, now you've got me hankerin after hot wings..

(Admitting to pulling pork in Pompey isn't quite the same as it means in Georgia, but I love pulled pork over here on occasion.)
                          Last edited by Lyn; 11-02-2008, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Blimey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you admit to 'er pulling pork??????
                            Suzi! I knew that might be the reaction.

It refers to roasted, or barbequed pork roast. It's cooked on a grill. After it's done, you pull it off the bone or you shred it and, it's called pulled pork. Then you serve it with barbeque sauce, either as is or on toasted bread. Barbeque is one of the national dishes of the southern USA. It's not that other---ahem---you know...

Lyn, It's lemon pepper wings for us tonight. There's a little place nearby that does excellent pizzas, Philly Cheesesteaks, and the best lemon pepper & buffalo wings in town. Tom was actually invited to be in one of their commercials!

Comment

I'd kill for lemon pepper wings right now, Cel. Blazers in Hull does the best, and I mean the BEST =)

Comment

In that case, Lyn, Davidos will be a reason facsimile. :-) Crunchy crust, just the right amount of salt to lemon juice and oil ratio and just the right amount of pepper. Bleu cheese and Greek salad on the side.

Some people here say earl for oil.

Comment

Working...
                                X