Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a contributor to the previous, excellent thread on this subject but I have been 'shut out' of the message boards for some months due to a server problem. The recent crash has allowed me back on the message boards, which is obviously great for me, but it is a great pity the previous posts are lost as there was a great deal of hard work put in by various posters.

When I first joined the Hanratty thread I was totally convinced of Hanratty's innocence, despite the DNA evidence, but I am gradually coming round to the idea that Hanratty was probably guilty and that it was such a departure from his normal type of crime that he almost convinced himself that he was innocent.

I feel sorry for the victims in all this - Miss Storey, Gregston's wife and children and hanratty's family who so faithfully campaigned for him and whose hopes must now be so dashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      It would be a real shame if all of Steve's photos were lost - I doubt if they could ever be replaced except with a huge effort.

Hi Graham

I have my own file copies of all the photographs I posted on the old thread, you will be pleased to hear. I can post a few of them again as time goes by, but you are right about the huge effort involved.

Kind regards,
      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I have my own file copies of all the photographs I posted on the old thread, you will be pleased to hear.
        Kind regards,
        Steve
        hi Steve

me too...

for off-line reference, i saved posts in a text only format. i have posts 1 to 757 totalling 76 pages. sadly they are not dated, but the last one looked a little bit exactly like this...

#757 Yesterday, 08:28 PM
        Steve
        Inspector Join Date: May 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
        Originally Posted by BOB
        The following URL is an interesting article about the gaol where Inmate 3220 met his end in April 1962.

HMP Bedford is a small, local prison. All but the worst villains start in such a jail. Yet a brush with the law could result in any one of us spending time in a similar institution. So what's it really like? Actually, a lot like Porridge, finds Matthew Engel.

I have an A3 photocopy of a feature on the prison from the 29th November 1992 edition of Bedfordshire on Sunday. The article has two pictures of the Hanging Shed, one showing the outside – the other is of the interior.

Unfortunately, I haven’t got a clue how to include it in a posting.

Technophobic Bob.

Hello you Technpobe!

I can scan your feature and post it herefor the benefit of Casebook Members if you like. If you would like me to do this please PM me, I'll give you my office address to send it to and return it back to you afterwards.

KR
        Steve

maybe by reading this again, you could put a gate to it Steve?. it must be at least a few months old by now.

i assume, that when one makes a post, the contents of same become public domain, if that is the case, then i don't see an issue with me uploading all the 'old thread posts' for reference, as it were. if anyone has any objections to me doing this, please let me know. i'll wait awhile, then, if there are no objections, at the next opportunity it'll be rsi in the mouse hand...

later guys

larue
        atb

larue

Comment

Hi Larue

If you can upload all the old posts that would be fantastic!

Kind regards,
          Steve

Comment

I just Googled 'Morris Minor' on behalf of a friend who's looking to buy one, and found this ad:

"1954 split-screen MM 4 door, rarely used in last 5 years. Disc brakes, servo, 1300cc Ford 5-speed engine, radius-rods, anti-roll bar, 6" alloy wheels. Mostly recovered interior (no headlining), reclining seats, slight rust on front arches. Used in BBC programme 'Hanratty'. Located in Sheffield".

Wow! Just your ordinary run-of-the-mill, off-the-line Moggie, then!

I always wondered what happened to the original A6 Moggie....

Cheers,

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Graham

What was the asking price?

KR
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Hi Graham

What was the asking price?

KR
                Steve
                Hi Steve.

Sold for £2000. A snip compared with some of the other Moggies on that site, some of them going for £5000+. My 1952 side-valve splittie cost me £45 in 1967....

Is it Larue or Granger who's heavily into Moggies?

Cheers,

Graham
                We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Hi Graham

Two grand is nothing for a Morris Minor. I recently saw a beautifully restored Traveller for sale here on the south coast for £15k! I remember buying a convertible Minor with auto gearbox in 1971 for £95!

The answer to your question about who is heavily into Moggies is easy to answer ... I think it's Graham!

We seem to have quite a few Minors still running about down here. An old dear uses one as her daily-ride and I sometimes see her as I drive to work, and another in fantastic condition was parked by my office door only the other day.

Kind regards,
                  Steve

Comment

Hanratty Family Home

If we are going to try and restore the lost postings I think we had better start uploading some of the images. Here is one of the last ones I posted before the server crashed. It's the Hanratty family home in Sycamore Grove, now in a sorry state!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Steve and Graham,

I did enjoy the posts of the old Hanratty thread very, very much and I'm sad that this lost now, but hopefully a part of it can be "refurbished" especially Steves wonderful pics!
                      I tend to believe Hanrattys guilt but the mystery IMHO ist WHY he did it? On someone elses behalf...?
                      Morris Minors - I'm a member of a Model Railway Society and to attend our AGM I did visit the UK once a year; on the first weekend in February I've been to Chalfont St. Peter and while waiting for our fish 'n' chips an old chap backed his Morris Minor of the yard of the shop - a nice looking car!
                      I like both the Traveller and the Convertible - but I prefer vintage Bentleys, despite the fact that I never could afford one!

kind regards
                      Paul O'Henry

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.

Nelson Mandela

Comment

Hi Steve and Graham,

I did enjoy the posts of the old Hanratty thread very, very much and I'm sad that this lost now, but hopefully a part of it can be "refurbished" especially Steves wonderful pics!
                        I tend to believe Hanrattys guilt but the mystery IMHO ist WHY he did it? On someone elses behalf...?
                        Morris Minors - I'm a member of a Model Railway Society and to attend our AGM I did visit the UK once a year; on the first weekend in February I've been to Chalfont St. Peter and while waiting for our fish 'n' chips an old chap backed his Morris Minor off the yard of the shop - a nice looking car!
                        I like both the Traveller and the Convertible - but I prefer vintage Bentleys, despite the fact that I never could afford one!

kind regards
                        Paul O'Henry

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.

Nelson Mandela

Comment

Hi again,

Is Chalfont St. Peter far away from the site of the murder?

kind regards
                          Paul OHenry

Nelson Mandela

Comment

Hello Paul

Glad you liked the pics from the old thread - I'll post them again as time goes by. (I wonder if there is a possible song title in there somewhere?)

Curious as to why 'Berlin to your regret?'

I visit Berlin once a year, have done so for many years, and love the city. I always try and pay a visit to The Wintergarten. But then perhaps living there all the time is different to visiting for a few days each year!

Kind regards,
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Paul O'Henry View Post
                              Hi again,

Is Chalfont St. Peter far away from the site of the murder?

kind regards
                              Paul OHenry
                              It is a bit away, yes - 30 to 40 minutes drive, depending on traffic!

Comment

Hi Steve,

You're right - to live in Berlin IS different to visting it for a couple of days once a year - it is totally off topic and I make it short - I love the city and I hate it at the same time - I prefer to live in a small town or village in the mountains (Bavaria?), but as an 53year old you wouldn't get a (good) job easly so I stick to mine - but on retirement I'll bound to leave Berlin.

kind regards
                                Paul O'Henry

Nelson Mandela

Comment

Working...
                                X