Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ms D,

Great minds think alike, but fools....

The last bus from Glasgow to Stonehouse area was something that I had considered myself. Maybe at weekends there was a later service. I estimated that the last bus would be nearer to 11 o'clock than midnight (remember Scottish bars closed at 10pm in these days) but maybe Friday and Saturday would be later due to dance halls closing at 12 o'clock.

The ferry crossing theory considered by the police remains explained. Maybe it was part of their mindset: the Peter Manuel killing of the Watt family circa 1956 was originally pinned on the husband who it was claimed had been seen crossing the Yoker/Renfrew ferry with his car. The ferry witness then became a little hesitant and Watt was released. If Watt had returned to kill his family and driven back to his holiday retreat the ferry would not have been the fastest route anyway, over and above the problem of being remembered in the early hours of the morning. Yet for two months Watt was held in Barlinnie Prison on this theory.

I don't think data protection existed as a problem in 1969. The senior police detectives were certainly on a mission when they descended on Hamilton police station but whether that mission was accomplished or aborted we don't know. I think the latter, probably on the basis of an apparently cast iron alibi being presented.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Here's a question for you Barn in your capacity as our local library expert;

I'm trying to find some Glasgow Corporation bus timetables from 1969 (just an idea I'm playing around with).

Do you think the Mitchell would have anything like this?

I found ones online for 1967 and 1970, but you have to pay for them, and I'm not convinced they would contain all the details I'm looking for so don't want to fork out unnecessarily.
      Hi Ms D, I would suggest that you make the Mitchell Library your first port of call, specifically the Glasgow Room.

I never worked in the Glasgow Room, I was in the Arts Department, but their collection of all things Glaswegian is comprehensive.

The Glasgow Collection is one of the largest collections in The Mitchell Library, created on the founding of The Mitchell in 1874 to collect Glasgow-related material.

If you have no luck there, I would suggest checking Glasgow Archives, also based in the Mitchell Library.

You can phone the Mitchell with any enquiries, they still get a high percentage of enquiries via the phone.

You can also try the National Library of Scotland

I also include a link to a site on the history of the SMT Bus Company, and a link to a route map that covers Stonehouse.

My recollection is that Glasgow and Greater Glasgow were covered by Corporation buses, the yellow and green ones.
      Beyond Glasgow was covered, in my area a least, by the SMT buses, the red ones.

I hope some of this helps, good luck!

Comment

• Ms D, you might also want to try Glasgow Riverside Museum of Transport.

Home to one of the world's finest transport collections. Interactive displays and the much loved historic Glasgow street scene bring the objects and stories to life.

Comment

• Amazing!

Thanks so much for that veritable smorgasbord of information, Barn.

That's much appreciated.

I will certainly check out the Mitchell's Glasgow Room and also the links to the SMT sites that you've kindly included.

I'd thought about the Transport Museum myself.

It's a long time since I've been there, but I seem to remember it was quite an interesting way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

• I’ve put the book that I’m currently reading on hold to read the Crow and Samson book which arrived today. It’s only a slim book so I may finish it in one go. There’s one thing about it that irritates anlready and it’s something that irritates when it occurs in any book. When talking about Helen Puttock the chapter begins “Helen Puttock cursed under her breath. She couldn’t find her favourite crimson lipstick. Her right hand danced across the dressing table, searching frantically for her make-up bag”

You can see what I mean. I really hate it when authors writing factual books do this. All that it does is make you think ‘ok, so what else are you inventing just to pad out the story or to make it more interesting?’ I’m definitely not writing off the book but it doesn’t help.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
              I’ve put the book that I’m currently reading on hold to read the Crow and Samson book which arrived today. It’s only a slim book so I may finish it in one go. There’s one thing about it that irritates anlready and it’s something that irritates when it occurs in any book. When talking about Helen Puttock the chapter begins “Helen Puttock cursed under her breath. She couldn’t find her favourite crimson lipstick. Her right hand danced across the dressing table, searching frantically for her make-up bag”

You can see what I mean. I really hate it when authors writing factual books do this. All that it does is make you think ‘ok, so what else are you inventing just to pad out the story or to make it more interesting?’ I’m definitely not writing off the book but it doesn’t help.
              Agreed Herlock.
              Once you go down the road of inventing dialogue and thoughts, it tends not to end well.

Comment

I’ve put the book that I’m currently reading on hold to read the Crow and Samson book which arrived today. It’s only a slim book so I may finish it in one go. There’s one thing about it that irritates anlready and it’s something that irritates when it occurs in any book. When talking about Helen Puttock the chapter begins “Helen Puttock cursed under her breath. She couldn’t find her favourite crimson lipstick. Her right hand danced across the dressing table, searching frantically for her make-up bag”

Yeah, entirely superfluous and fictitious "scene setting".

Another one for your barbecue list!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

Yeah, entirely superfluous and fictitious "scene setting".

Another one for your barbecue list!
                  I hadn’t thought of that Ms D. On it goes.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Quite often on Casebook I’m the one arguing against people when they say ‘that couldn’t be a coincidence’ because coincidences happen every minute of every day and many of them appear remote. That said, I’m not suggesting that this was anything more than a coincidence but it’s an interesting one and one that I hadn’t seen pointed out before until I read Crow and Samson…

Helen Puttock’s sanitary towel was stuffed into her armpit, which seems strange.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone else committing suicide by slicing the main artery under their armpit?

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• According to Crow and Samson (page 106) the police had submitted circumstantial evidence to the Procurator Fiscal claiming that McInnes could be pinpointed at key times during the night of Helen’s murder.

So had someone seen him at the Barrowland? We’re experiencing a frustrating lack of detail again.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• I read somewhere that McInnes admitted he had visited the Barrowland so that in itself might not mean much.

The real key point is what account McInnes gave of his movements after leaving the ballroom, particularly between the hours of 1am and 2am. Were the police really able to 'pinpoint' his movements at this time?

Comment

According to Crow and Samson (page 106) the police had submitted circumstantial evidence to the Procurator Fiscal claiming that McInnes could be pinpointed at key times during the night of Helen’s murder.

So had someone seen him at the Barrowland? We’re experiencing a frustrating lack of detail again.
                          I'm heading into the Mitchell Library on Saturday to read and take notes from Charles Stoddart's " Bible John: Search for a Sadist".
                          I'll report back when I've read it.
                          Stoddart was a high ranking member of the legal profession with several legal textbooks to his name, and he had on the record conversations with Joe Beattie, so hopefully there will be some "treasure".

Comment

• Originally posted by cobalt View Post
                            I read somewhere that McInnes admitted he had visited the Barrowland so that in itself might not mean much.

The real key point is what account McInnes gave of his movements after leaving the ballroom, particularly between the hours of 1am and 2am. Were the police really able to 'pinpoint' his movements at this time?
                            I’m not sure if he’d admitted it but this book mentions that when McInnes worked for a US stamp trading firm as a Sales Manager they held weekly sales meetings on Thursday nights (which seems a bit of a strange time for sales meetings) Apparently his boss discovered that the reason that McInnes had missed some meetings was because he’d been to the over 25’s night at the Barrowland. No source is given for this though…as usual.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

I'm heading into the Mitchell Library on Saturday to read and take notes from Charles Stoddart's " Bible John: Search for a Sadist".
                              I'll report back when I've read it.
                              Stoddart was a high ranking member of the legal profession with several legal textbooks to his name, and he had on the record conversations with Joe Beattie, so hopefully there will be some "treasure".
                              I thought that you had the book Barn. My mistake. I look forward to hearing what you find. Won’t you be able to take the book home?
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I thought that you had the book Barn. My mistake. I look forward to hearing what you find. Won’t you be able to take the book home?
                                The Mitchell Library is reference only, apart from a lending library in the building.
                                I've got the Paul Harrison book, which is quite good and pretty detailed, although with his record of inventing things, readers need to be careful.

Comment

Working...
                                X