Bible John: A New Suspect by Jill Bavin-Mizzi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bible John: A New Suspect by Jill Bavin-Mizzi

I thought I would start a new thread on the new Bible John book, hopefully providing a one stop shop for folk wanting to discuss the Bible John case in relation to the case against John Templeton.

My copy has just arrived and I will start on it today.

My first impression is that the author seems to have done some serious research, with 13 pages of primary and secondary sources and 43 pages of notes and references back to original sources.

This is something which should be welcomed, as one of the frustrating aspects of the case is that there are loads of stuff on the web about the case, but a distinct lack of reference to primary sources.

Also, the few books about the case are nowhere near as detailed as we would hope for.
    None have the intellectual rigour and discipline that we see in the JTR works of Paul Begg, Philip Sugden and Robert House.

Hopefully this book will improve the situation for researchers and interested amateurs.
    Last edited by barnflatwyngarde; 07-15-2024, 03:14 PM.

It’s a promising start Barn. It’s going to be Friday when I can re-arrange delivery so I’m going to be over a week behind you. I don’t know if MsD has had hers yet?
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      It’s a promising start Barn. It’s going to be Friday when I can re-arrange delivery so I’m going to be over a week behind you. I don’t know if MsD has had hers yet?
      No Herlock,

Mine is due next week too.

I'm glad to hear that barnflatwyngarde's initial assessment is that it appears well researched with lots of notes, sources and references.

Hopefully it's going to be interesting.

I'd say it's going to be better than the time we all read that really badly translated Dyatlov Pass book simultaneously, and couldn't work out what the hell was going on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post

No Herlock,

Mine is due next week too.

I'm glad to hear that barnflatwyngarde's initial assessment is that it appears well researched with lots of notes, sources and references.

Hopefully it's going to be interesting.

I'd say it's going to be better than the time we all read that really badly translated Dyatlov Pass book simultaneously, and couldn't work out what the hell was going on!!!
        Damnit Janet!

I had just about purged that whole Dyatlov Pass book from my tortured soul.

Oh well, I'll just have to hit the gym more this week and overdose on endorphins.

God, that was a very strange book.

Comment

Yes, that was a difficult read. It was in the same league as David Lifton’s JFK Assassination book Best Evidence. The Dyatlov pass book wasn’t complete tripe though. It was just written by someone who didn’t know what clarity is.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I missed delivery of my book today so need to collect it from the Post Office tomorrow.

It will probably be next week before I start it.

How's it shaping up barnflatwyngarde?

Comment

Hi Ms D,
              I'm a third of the way in, and I'm really enjoying it.
              She's a serious writer, and it comes with loads of references to primary and secondary sources.
              She is also honest enough to acknowledge one of the main problems with this case is the lack of official sources to refer to.
              I'm taking loads of notes, and although I'm fairly up to speed with the case, I'm getting a much clearer view of the case as I read on.
              I suppose that's the ultimate accolade really.
              But I'll look forward to yours and Herlock's view on the book.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                Hi Ms D,
                She's a serious writer, and it comes with loads of references to primary and secondary sources.
                She is also honest enough to acknowledge one of the main problems with this case is the lack of official sources to refer to.
                I'm taking loads of notes, and although I'm fairly up to speed with the case, I'm getting a much clearer view of the case as I read on.
                I have to phone in the morning to rearrange delivery then I’ll have to catch up with you and MsD.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                  Hi Ms D,
                  Thanks Barn!

This sounds promising!

I'll update when I've collected and read it!

Comment

I have to phone in the morning to rearrange delivery then I’ll have to catch up with you and MsD.
                    I'm not out the starting block yet, Herlock!

It was either collect the book from the post office or go to the shop to pick up a bottle of wine when I finished work!

No prizes for guessing which I chose!

Comment

It was either collect the book from the post office or go to the shop to pick up a bottle of wine when I finished work!

In this weather I can’t say that I can blame you. Do you live in one of those places where things are miles apart? I tried to re-arrange a delivery today but the system was down. Obviously due to that power outage. I’ll try again tomorrow. Calmly this time.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Dat's ma girl!
                        I'm glad that you're embracing the Glaswegian culture vibe.

I have just finished the book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is the best overall book on Bible John, in my opinion, but it's a pretty low bar to be honest.
                        There is a long, detailed, but necessary, section on the geneological connection between John McInnes and John Templeton.
                        It is clear that the author is prepared to do the hard yards when it comes to doing the necessary research, and I think that it pays off.

I will type up my notes, and post a more detailed critique later next week.

I am really looking forward to hearing both your opinion Ms D and also Herlock.
                        Last edited by barnflatwyngarde; 07-19-2024, 05:35 PM.

Comment

In this weather I can’t say that I can blame you. Do you live in one of those places where things are miles apart? I tried to re-arrange a delivery today but the system was down. Obviously due to that power outage. I’ll try again tomorrow. Calmly this time.
                          Haha! Not at all, Herlock!

I'm just lazy and wanted to get home to the cats (and the wine)!

Comment

Haha! Not at all, Herlock!

I'm just lazy and wanted to get home to the cats (and the wine)!
                            That’s a good enough reason
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

My book is being re delivered on Thursday. I might have to put the one I’m currently reading on hold.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X