Another Piece of Evidence Linking John McInnes to the Bible John Murders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Piece of Evidence Linking John McInnes to the Bible John Murders

I attach a link to an article that links John McInnes to the infamous Bible John murders in 1960's Glasgow.

I also attach 2 posts that I made on a thread dealing with the Zodiac case (yes we wandered a bit of topic, but hey ho) which dealt with Mcinnes's possible involvement in the murders.

My First Post

Hi Abby, I'll try and keep this brief, in the knowledge that I'm off topic here.

One of the police suspects at the time was an ex-soldier called John Macinnes, it is not known why he was suspected.
    McInnes committed suicide in 1980 by cutting an artery in his upper arm.

In the 1990's McInnnes's body was exhumed in an attempt to compare his DNA with semen stains found on one of the victims, Helen Puttock.
    From memory, his body was exhumed because DNA from one of McInnes's relatives showed many points of comparison with the semen stains recovered from one of the victims.

Unfortunately his body was so corrupted that no meaningful comparison could be made.

The official report on the DNA comparison attempt stated, "There is not sufficient evidence for the current DNA information to link John McInnes to the murder of Helen Puttock." (my emphasis)

Other factors linking McInnes to the murders is that a disheveled and muddied man with scratches on his face was seen getting off a bus in Sauchiehall Street in the centre of Glasgow.
    McInnes had an aunt who lived in Sauchiehall Street.

Bible John had a military bearing.
    John McInnes was in the army.

Both Bible John and McInnes were smokers.

Bible John spoke of hitting a hole in one on the golf course.
    John McInnes hasd scored a hole in one.

So that's about it!

No firm evidence that would convict in the court of public opinion, but I find the DNA factors in this case to be highly indicative.

My Second Post

Hi Herlock, to my knowledge, no book has seriously expressed McInnes as a prime suspect.
    I think that thgere are 2-3 books on the case, but none of them are what could be called definitive.

One thing that is striking about the case is the way that the Police kept their theories very close to their chest.
    There were few, if any, leaks that emanated from the police.

McInnes did end up on an identity parade, but the witness didn't pick him out.

One final thing that I was hesitant to mention in my original post is that I had a very good Police friend who was high up in the serious crime squad.
    He was involved in the investigations of most of the major murders and gang related violence in Glasgow.

My friend was the model of circumspection if anyone tried to pump him for info re any high profile crimes.
    He took me aside one day in the pub and asked if I could provide him with a full copy of the Voters Roll for Glasgow.
    He explained that there was a leak within the serious crime squad, and he needed a copy of the Voters Roll that he could use privately.
    I managed to get him a not too old copy of the Voters Roll.
    It was never spoken of again.

After that I think that he knew that I was someone he could talk to who wouldn't betray any confidences

One day in the pub a group of us must have been talking about the Bible John case, various theories were put forward and the discussion bounced back and
    forth, with my friend saying nothing, until he closed the discussion with the words "It was McInnes".

I appreciate that by putting this out there I'm entering the realms of "possibly true but possibly hearsay" that dogs so much of meaningful discissions of cases like Bible John, but it's all true.

Link

A BBC podcast claims evidence pointed to John Irvine McInnes, the cousin of a senior police officer.

​​

Thanks for that Barn. Interesting stuff. I look forward to listening to the podcast. It would be good if someone put a book together.

By the way, it looks like there are 5 books on the case as far as I can see.

The Face Of Bible John - Steve MacGregor (2018)
    Bible John’s Secret Daughter - David Leslie (2007)
    Bible John: Hunt For A Killer - Alan Crow (1998)
    Dancing With The Devil - Paul Harrison (2013)
    The Lost British Serial Killer - David Wilson (2010)
    Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 11-24-2022, 04:47 PM.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      Thanks for that Barn. Interesting stuff. I look forward to listening to the podcast. It would be good if someone put a book together.
      Cheers Herlock!

Yeah, it's a bit of a mystery to me why there hasn't been a well researched book done on the case.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Cheers Herlock!

Yeah, it's a bit of a mystery to me why there hasn't been a well researched book done on the case.
        Yeah, it really needs a good, in depth overview of the case.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

By the way, it looks like there are 5 books on the case as far as I can see.

The Face Of Bible John - Steve MacGregor (2018)
          Bible John’s Secret Daughter - David Leslie (2007)
          Bible John: Hunt For A Killer - Alan Crow (1998)
          Dancing With The Devil - Paul Harrison (2013)
          The Lost British Serial Killer - David Wilson (2010)
          Hi again Herlock, none of the books listed are any good, in my humble opinion!

The Wilson book tries to link Peter Tobin with the Bible John murders, and fails spectacularly.
          The rest are mince!

Comment

Hi again Herlock, none of the books listed are any good, in my humble opinion!

The Wilson book tries to link Peter Tobin with the Bible John murders, and fails spectacularly.
            The rest are mince!
            Thanks for the warning Barn. I read the Wilson one and wasn’t very impressed. I was considering trying one of the others at some point but I won’t bother now.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I don't think McInnes was Bible John because their teeth were very different.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post
                I don't think McInnes was Bible John because their teeth were very different.
                Police were able to establish that at some point after the murders, McInnes had all his teeth removed, and wore dentures thereafter.

Comment

Police were able to establish that at some point after the murders, McInnes had all his teeth removed, and wore dentures thereafter.
                  I do have a book on the case which I haven't had a chance to read yet.

Does that information appear in some of the books?

McInnes was my favourite suspect until I read about the false teeth.

From what you say, it looks as though he did it in order to avoid detection.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

I do have a book on the case which I haven't had a chance to read yet.

Does that information appear in some of the books?

McInnes was my favourite suspect until I read about the false teeth.

From what you say, it looks as though he did it in order to avoid detection.
                    As I said to Herlock in an earlier post, there is not, in my opinion, any half decent book on the case.

My recollection is that I sourced the info from articles on the web.

It is not really a matter of conjecture that McInnes started wearing dentures after the murders, it's an accepted fact.

I will try and find my sources for this, and if I a can, I'll post them on this thread.

Comment

As I said to Herlock in an earlier post, there is not, in my opinion, any half decent book on the case.

My recollection is that I sourced the info from articles on the web.

It is not really a matter of conjecture that McInnes started wearing dentures after the murders, it's an accepted fact.

I will try and find my sources for this, and if I a can, I'll post them on this thread.

Thanks.

I have to say that when I saw his photo and compared it with his identikit picture, I was sure it was him.

Comment

I definitely remember reading somewhere that McInnes had all his teeth removed some time after the final murder.

I have been unable to trace this reference, but there are many references to the fact that when Mcinnes's body was exhumed, it was found that he had dentures,
                        Apparently the police carried out enquiries to trace his dental records, and were unable to trace any dentist who had treated McInnes.

There was some peculation that he had gone to England or further afield to have his teeth extracted, but with no dental records available, this must be treated as speculation.

I attach a link to a good article about the case, it is the first article, titled "Dancing With a Stranger".

Comment

The article is crap but there’s a photograph of McInnes. I’d never seen a phot of him before so I don’t know if this is the one that PI saw?

Bible John was an unidentified serial killer who is believed to be responsible for the murder of three young women he met at a ballroom between 1968 and 1969 in Scotland
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

The article is crap but there’s a photograph of McInnes. I’d never seen a phot of him before so I don’t know if this is the one that PI saw?

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...alive-28576963
                            Hi Herlock, I agree with your comment on the quality of the article!

The photo is the first one that was published of McInnes at the time of the exhumation. There is a distinct likeness to the photofit of Bible John issued by the police.

Comment

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...alive-28576963

Yes.

That is the photo.

But I haven't seen that particular artist's impression before.

The one I saw definitely resembled the photo.

Comment

Working...
                              X