Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by etenguy View Post

Hi Herlock

The guy should have been a doctor - terrible handwriting.

I think that line reads
    'I am not positive that there was an iron bar'

I don’t think that’s it Eten because it would read “ I have no recollection whatever of any bar or piece of iron being in the hearth or under the gas fire , but I’m not positive that there was an iron bar.”

I think that reads:
    'Mrs Wallace told me how upset Mr Wallace had been when she had been very late (owing to an accident) coming from Southport' (not sure about place name Herlock, but I think Southport is where she took a bus)

You’ve cracked it Eten. It was Southport. It’s a known incident.

thanks Eten.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

thanks Eten.
      You're right. 'an' should read 'no' so it reads:

I have no recollection whatever of any bar or piece of iron being in the hearth or under the gas fire , but I’m not positive that there was no iron bar

Comment

You're right. 'an' should read 'no' so it reads:

I have no recollection whatever of any bar or piece of iron being in the hearth or under the gas fire , but I’m not positive that there was no iron bar
        I don’t know Eten. The word just doesn’t look like ‘iron’ to me. It looks more like ‘much.’ The last letter is more like an ‘h’ than an ‘n.’
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I don’t know Eten. The word just doesn’t look like ‘iron’ to me. It looks more like ‘much.’ The last letter is more like an ‘h’ than an ‘n.’
          hmmm - difficult to decipher - could it be 'no such bar'?

Comment

hmmm - difficult to decipher - could it be 'no such bar'?
            I like your thinking but...it doesn’t look like an ‘s’ at the beginning.

If I was just looking at the middle word Eten I’d certainly go for ‘much’ but I can’t fit it logically. Unless the last word is ‘ash’ but although it looks like it might end in ‘sh’ the first letter doesn't look like an ‘a’ to me.

At a time when kids were schooled in penmanship this bloke must have skipped a few lessons. I could write more legibly when I was 8

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I like your thinking but...it doesn’t look like an ‘s’ at the beginning.

If I was just looking at the middle word Eten I’d certainly go for ‘much’ but I can’t fit it logically. Unless the last word is ‘ash’ but although it looks like it might end in ‘sh’ the first letter doesn't look like an ‘a’ to me.

At a time when kids were schooled in penmanship this bloke must have skipped a few lessons. I could write more legibly when I was 8

It is so hard to tell - I think the last word is bar but the f of fire in the line above interferes with the word making the r look like an h.

I checked the statement for another word beginning with s - just along that sentence is the word seemed - the s looks the same as the first letter of the word we think could be such or much to me, but it does also look like an m because of the way the guy writes. I can't be anywhere near certain - but 'no such bar' is my best guess at the moment.

Comment

It is so hard to tell - I think the last word is bar but the f of fire in the line above interferes with the word making the r look like an h.

I checked the statement for another word beginning with s - just along that sentence is the word seemed - the s looks the same as the first letter of the word we think could be such or much to me, but it does also look like an m because of the way the guy writes. I can't be anywhere near certain - but 'no such bar' is my best guess at the moment.
                I think it’s the best suggestion Eten. I think I’ll run with it and I’ll probably put an * suggesting that I’m uncertain.

Thanks Eten.

Im starting on Amy next so I’m guessing I’ll need you again.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I think it’s the best suggestion Eten. I think I’ll run with it and I’ll probably put an * suggesting that I’m uncertain.

Thanks Eten.

Im starting on Amy next so I’m guessing I’ll need you again.
                  A lot of the handwritten statements are pretty hard to read - good luck to you.

Comment

A lot of the handwritten statements are pretty hard to read - good luck to you.
                    Ill need it.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Ok Eten (and anyone else of course)

Im now looking at Amy’s statement written in Munro’s execrable handwriting.

First page. It’s gives Amy’s name and address followed by 4 words ...it looks like “married women will say.”

Then to line 6. The first word of the line is ‘Herbert.’ Then there’s a ^ with what looks like 3 words in the space.

Then go to the 2nd paragraph (beginning with ‘On the evening...’ There’s a line ‘were very comfortable and happy, except that Mrs Wallace had a cold.’ Then there’s a line squeezed in below which appears to begin with ‘Mrs Wallace...’ I haven’t a clue.

Then toward the end of the paragraph it says ‘anyone in that district,’ followed by 6 words then one on the next line. ??

BTW after I’ve sorted the hieroglyphs on this post I think I’ll begin a ‘transcription help thread’ as I don’t want to clog this thread even though it’s a little quieter at the moment. (Moste, OneRound and NickB have escaped back to the A6 Thread - who left the door open?)
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Ok Eten (and anyone else of course)

Im now looking at Amy’s statement written in Munro’s execrable handwriting.

First page. It’s gives Amy’s name and address followed by 4 words ...it looks like “married women will say.”

Then to line 6. The first word of the line is ‘Herbert.’ Then there’s a ^ with what looks like 3 words in the space.

Then go to the 2nd paragraph (beginning with ‘On the evening...’ There’s a line ‘were very comfortable and happy, except that Mrs Wallace had a cold.’ Then there’s a line squeezed in below which appears to begin with ‘Mrs Wallace...’ I haven’t a clue.

Then toward the end of the paragraph it says ‘anyone in that district,’ followed by 6 words then one on the next line. ??

BTW after I’ve sorted the hieroglyphs on this post I think I’ll begin a ‘transcription help thread’ as I don’t want to clog this thread even though it’s a little quieter at the moment. (Moste, OneRound and NickB have escaped back to the A6 Thread - who left the door open?)
                        Hi Herlock - trying to hitch a lift now from Deadman's Hill to Wolverton Street.

Please remind me / supply a pointer as to where I find these statements with such execrable handwriting.

Many thanks,
                        OneRound

Comment

• Hi OneRound,

This is the Amy Wallace statement.

Id be grateful for any help filling in those gaps.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Thanks, Herlock. I'll have a shufty a bit later.

Best,
                            OneRound

Comment

• Originally posted by OneRound View Post

Thanks, Herlock. I'll have a shufty a bit later.

Best,
                              OneRound
                              Cheers OneRound,

If I get an hour spare I’ll solve the A6 case for you.
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Cheers OneRound,

If I get an hour spare I’ll solve the A6 case for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X