No announcement yet.

Who put Bella in the Witch Elm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just had 2 books arrive and one was Bella: An Unsolved Murder by Joyce M Coley. Only 26 pages long.
    Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

• The Coley book adds nothing new as expected. At least I only paid £4 for it.

It adds one story of an old man who said that Bella used to sing in his parents pub and another one in town. She disappeared without warning after becoming friendly with the man’s mother (who’d given her a pair of shoes because her own were full of holes) The storyteller said that he didn’t like the look of the man that lived with her.

Theres also a photograph of Bob Hart, one of the boys that found Bella, as an adult.

The other book, that I’m about to begin, is The Case That Foiled Fabian, about the murder of Charles Walton which has been linked by some to the Bella case. Although any contention by McCormick doesn’t overwhelm you with confidence.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Hello. I have never heard of this case, but it is interesting. I looked up the Wikipedia entry on "who put Bella in the Wych Elm?" and the theories are all fairly wild.

I wonder if the graffiti was written by one of the youths who had discovered the woman's body?
        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
        ---------------
        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
        ---------------

Comment

• MJ Trow has a book out next year on the case.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
            MJ Trow has a book out next year on the case.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/t/m...ood-murder.htm
            I'd love to read a full book dedicated to the case, but I'm wary about shelling out £20 on a book that hints at Nazi spies on the cover.

Was it MJ Trow that came up with the Robert Mann theory?
            Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

I'd love to read a full book dedicated to the case, but I'm wary about shelling out £20 on a book that hints at Nazi spies on the cover.

Was it MJ Trow that came up with the Robert Mann theory?
              Yeah, that’s the guy Al. He wrote a book on the Torso murders too. And Cleopatra and The Princes In The Tower and Vampires and Spartacus. I looked on his website and I make this his 107th book though that’s positively lazy compared to Barbara Cartland’s 723 (no, I haven’t read her books I had to Google that fact before you say it)

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Yeah, that’s the guy Al. He wrote a book on the Torso murders too. And Cleopatra and The Princes In The Tower and Vampires and Spartacus. I looked on his website and I make this his 107th book though that’s positively lazy compared to Barbara Cartland’s 723 (no, I haven’t read her books I had to Google that fact before you say it)
                In that case I'll hang on to my money for a bit. Who knows, it might be a decent read, but he's a Jack of all trades...
                Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

In that case I'll hang on to my money for a bit. Who knows, it might be a decent read, but he's a Jack of all trades...
                  What you mean is…..you’ll wait til after I’ve bought it.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

What you mean is…..you’ll wait til after I’ve bought it.
                    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

The blurb refers to "the world's oldest profession and the world's oldest crime!" Can we conclude the crime is murder, and that the victim was a prostitute?

So maybe not a German spy, exactly...
                      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                      ---------------
                      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                      ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

The blurb refers to "the world's oldest profession and the world's oldest crime!" Can we conclude the crime is murder, and that the victim was a prostitute?

Yes, it’s quite a well known crime over here Pat. Some boys found a skull in a tree in 1943. Later the whole skeleton was found and it was reckoned that the body had been there for 18 months or so. The woman was never identified but what made the case live on so to speak was that in 1944 in the local town, Birmingham, a chalked graffiti on a wall appeared which said Who Put Bella Down The Witch Elm - Hagley Wood. Other similar messages also appeared and since the 1970’s a message of this kind has been chalked on the Hagley obelisk. Theories have been put forward but still no one knows who ‘Bella’ was, if that was actually her name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_...e%2C%20England.
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

save your money

Comment

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post

no. the simplest explanation is usually the right one.. an unfortunate prostitute killed by a "customer". however, whoever killed her must have known about that hollow tree. i would have looked very closely at everyone associated with that estate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

no. the simplest explanation is usually the right one.. an unfortunate prostitute killed by a "customer". however, whoever killed her must have known about that hollow tree. i would have looked very closely at everyone associated with that estate.
                              Here's an interesting article that suggests a possible link with the German spy Josef Jakobs

I am rethinking this page… there is a lot of information in the West Mercia Police files,which might best be shared as an actual book. I have some theories… A place to review the actual facts of the case in relation to the numerous theories.I ordered a copy of the police files from the Bella […]

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

Here's an interesting article that suggests a possible link with the German spy Josef Jakobs

https://josefjakobs.info/facts-of-bella-in-the-wych-elm

Cheers Barn,

The problem is that Clara had normal looking teeth.

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X