No announcement yet.

Shark Arm Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another photo. This is the infamous "shark arm" with the unique tattoo. Why was it severed from the victim's body? Was it to aid disposal of the body, as suggested by renowned pathologist Sydney Smith? Or was it sent to Patrick Brady as a grisly warning: "see, your friend is dead, you're next"? Or is the truth even more convoluted?
    Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

Now I’m certainly not saying that this has a bearing on the case but...

Smith is killed....dumped in the sea (or at least his arm is)....it’s eaten by a shark....that shark is eaten by another shark....then the shark is caught.

All in the space of a week?

A question....why was Holmes cremated the day after he was killed?
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        Now I’m certainly not saying that this has a bearing on the case but...

Smith is killed....dumped in the sea (or at least his arm is)....it’s eaten by a shark....that shark is eaten by another shark....then the shark is caught.

All in the space of a week?

A question....why was Holmes cremated the day after he was killed?
        Smith went missing on 8 April. Shark was caught on 18 April. So, 10 days. As for the other point, Holmes was cremated on Friday 14 June, three days after his shooting. Are you saying these dates and timings might be significant? I sense you're already puffing on your Calabash pipe, Herlock!
        Author of Cold Case Jury books: Move To Murder (2nd Edition) (2021), The Shark Arm Mystery (2020), Poisoned at the Priory (2020), Move to Murder (2018), Death of an Actress (2018), The Green Bicycle Mystery (2017) - "Armchair detectives will be delighted" - Publishers Weekly. Author of Crime & Mystery Hour - short fictional crime stories. And for something completely different - I'm the co-founder of Wow-Vinyl - celebrating the Golden Years of the British Single (1977-85)

Comment

Originally posted by ColdCaseJury View Post

Smith went missing on 8 April. Shark was caught on 18 April. So, 10 days. As for the other point, Holmes was cremated on Friday 14 June, three days after his shooting. Are you saying these dates and timings might be significant? I sense you're already puffing on your Calabash pipe, Herlock!
          Thanks Antony.

Some inaccurate info online. It said that he was cremated on the 13th so I was thinking “was someone trying to hide something?” Obviously not.

It also said online ‘mid April’ for when the shark was caught so I was trying to consider ‘what would be the chances of all that happening in such a short space of time?’ The arm could hardly have been planted though

Do you have any more detail on the letter that Brady was supposed to have sent Smith’s wife where he mentions being “in a jam?”

Was there ever any suspicion of anything between Brady and Mrs Smith?

I don’t know enough to give a valid opinion yet Antony but it’s difficult to see Brady as not involved. Early money on Brady possibly with Holmes having some involvement.

No trams or chess clubs or mackintoshes in this one then Antony?
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Thanks Antony.

Some inaccurate info online. It said that he was cremated on the 13th so I was thinking “was someone trying to hide something?” Obviously not.

It also said online ‘mid April’ for when the shark was caught so I was trying to consider ‘what would be the chances of all that happening in such a short space of time?’ The arm could hardly have been planted though

Do you have any more detail on the letter that Brady was supposed to have sent Smith’s wife where he mentions being “in a jam?”

Was there ever any suspicion of anything between Brady and Mrs Smith?

I don’t know enough to give a valid opinion yet Antony but it’s difficult to see Brady as not involved. Early money on Brady possibly with Holmes having some involvement.

No trams or chess clubs or mackintoshes in this one then Antony?
            Herlock, all I can say is that I like the way you're thinking!

No trams and intricate timings, but lots of meetings at suspicious times. No chess clubs, just an unremarkable shack in a quiet suburb south of Sydney. No mackintosh, just a tattooed arm in a swimming pool! It does not have the nuance of Wallace - I'm not sure any case does - but it does have a great narrative and cast of characters. Oh, and the evidence can be interpreted in different ways. Just what we like, eh?

Comment

God Almighty Herlock, is there a cold case your not familiar with? You'll be telling us who put Bella in the Wytch Elm next!
              Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
                God Almighty Herlock, is there a cold case your not familiar with? You'll be telling us who put Bella in the Wytch Elm next!
                I had to look into this one Al. Of the previous 4 books in this series by Antony I’ve agreed with his preferred solution in 3. The odd one out was the Wallace case of course but Antony at least accepts the possibility of a guilty William and I accept that he could have been innocent

....he was probably guilty though of course
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I had to look into this one Al. Of the previous 4 books in this series by Antony I’ve agreed with his preferred solution in 3. The odd one out was the Wallace case of course but Antony at least accepts the possibility of a guilty William and I accept that he could have been innocent

....he was probably guilty though of course
                  Classic Herlock, side stepping the real question. Who put Bella in the Wytch Elm? No answer old man. Stumped. Pun intended.
                  Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Smith went missing on 8 April. Shark was caught on 18 April.
                    Given the arm was still "fresh",perhaps Smith was being interrogated.

The "Pathfinder" was a decent sized vessel and Terrigal has long been a major entry point for drugs offloaded at sea.

Perhaps someone thought he had stashed a consignment the previous year.

Would make an excellent "Underbelly" addition.

My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post

Given the arm was still "fresh",perhaps Smith was being interrogated.

The "Pathfinder" was a decent sized vessel and Terrigal has long been a major entry point for drugs offloaded at sea.

Perhaps someone thought he had stashed a consignment the previous year.

Would make an excellent "Underbelly" addition.
                      Smith helped himself to some valuables (including silverware) on Pathfinder before he scuttled it. One of the possibilities I consider is this enraged Holmes and his cartel. And if the valuables had to come to light, it might have prompted a re-investigation of the yacht's loss by police. So, I think you might be on the right lines.

Comment

Certainly makes sense.

Is there any possibility that Holmes suicide attempt was actually a murder attempt as he claimed? If it was a failed suicide attempt why didn’t he just try again?

Time for an ‘out there’ question from someone with no medical knowledge.

I was thinking about why the shark had become ill and vomited?Could Smith have been drugged and it was the drugs that made the shark vomit?
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Classic Herlock, side stepping the real question. Who put Bella in the Wytch Elm? No answer old man. Stumped. Pun intended.
                          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Is there any possibility that Holmes suicide attempt was actually a murder attempt as he claimed? If it was a failed suicide attempt why didn’t he just try again?
                            A small possibility - there was powder and singe marks on his forehead so the gun barrel was against the skin, or at point blank range. If he was murdered (or looked like murder), his life assurance polices were valid; if suicide, invalid. He might not have considered the financial implications in his drunken state the first time.

I was thinking about why the shark had become ill and vomited?Could Smith have been drugged and it was the drugs that made the shark vomit?
                            It was more likely the rope. The arm was not digested so any drug would not have made it into the shark's system, I suggest. If you want to turn this into the Stoned Shark Arm case, you can start your own thread!

Comment

A small possibility - there was powder and singe marks on his forehead so the gun barrel was against the skin, or at point blank range. If he was murdered (or looked like murder), his life assurance polices were valid; if suicide, invalid. He might not have considered the financial implications in his drunken state the first time.

It was more likely the rope. The arm was not digested so any drug would not have made it into the shark's system, I suggest. If you want to turn this into the Stoned Shark Arm case, you can start your own thread!
                              Cheers Antony. I didn’t think that there was any mileage in the ‘drugged’ idea but I had to ask.

The rope is interesting. Why would there be a rope around the arm?
                              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

hi all
                                in just a quick glance on the case in wiki-im not sure if there is much of a mystery here. smith holmes and brady were all in criminal cahoots together and eventually turned on each other. seems rather straight forward to me-- brady killed smith, holmes broke under pressure and tried to kill himself, but was eventually killed by brady/accomplice. am i missing something?

i guess my main question would be-were holmes and brady in on the smith murder?

Comment

Working...
                                X