X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Report of the Medical Officer of the Prison

---

Name of Prisoner: William Herbert Wallace.
    Date of Commitment: 4th, March, 1931.
    Committing Court: Liverpool City Police Court.
    Date of Trial: 11th, April, 1931.

SIR,

I have the honour to report, as follows, regarding the mental condition of the above prisoner:-

This prisoner was received here on February 3rd, last, and admitted to Hospital for special observation.

While here, he has been rational in conduct and conversation, generally cheerful and philosophical, and at no time has he shown any undue state of mental depression.

He has informed me that about 25 years ago he was operated on in Shanghai for a movable kidney on the left side and about a month later the right kidney was opened up for an abscess. As a result of the first operation the ureter of the left kidney became blocked and he was left with a urinary fistula. He was advised to return to London for treatment and at Guy's Hospital the left kidney was completely excised. He has suffered, more or less, since from pain in the right side and in June last year was an in-patient at the Royal Southern Hospital, Liverpool, his condition being diagnosed as hydronephrosis.

For the past six months he has been in better general health than for some time previous - has slight attacks of vertigo following quick movements of the head, but mentally, he has been quite normal and has never suffered from any attack of mental confusion or loss of memory.

I am of opinion this prisoner is sound of mind and fit to plead to the Indictment. Had he been suffereng from an accute attack of insanity, due to renal deficiency, on the day of the offense he would have been so affected both mentally and physically that the derangement could not have been so transient as to have escaped notice.

I am,
    Sir,
    Your obedient Servant,

*Signature*

Senior Medical Officer.
    Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 01-16-2020, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      Interesting stuff WWH. Carr was certainly convinced and persistent. Did he really see William and Amy?

Just a thought. Wouldn’t it be easier for you to post these as attachments or links? It would save you having to type them all out?
      He was very persistent. I heard about him before but did not know the full statement or all of his writings, just that he said he had seen them.

I have no doubt he actually believed that he had seen Wallace and Amy. It's whether he really did or not that's up for interpretation. But for sure he was convinced.

It would definitely be easier to add attachments. Would you guys prefer that? Just I figure people tend to like text on their screen rather than images.

Comment

Here is the letter requesting an Appeal, by William Herbert Wallace:

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Images attached in-post below

---

Comment

A report on William Herbert Wallace to the home office. The testimony on page 5 is VERY interesting.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Pictures attached below:

---

---

Casebook only lets you post 5 images per post. There's a 6th page but it's about some postcard. It's referenced a few times but I have NO idea what it's talking about, apparently it's old as hell and I think they dropped whatever line of inquiry that was.

Here's what struck me about page 5:

Annie Elizabeth Spencer, 235 Lisburn Lane, a client of Wallace's, said that a week after the murder Wallace called to collect her premiums. During a conversation he told her that some friend of his wife's had killed her because she never allowed a stranger over the doorstep. Spencer thought he meant it was a friend of both of them and asked him if that was so. He replied very excitedly "No. A friend of my wife's".
          Was he suspecting an affair?

Comment

Originally posted by WallaceWackedHer View Post

He was very persistent. I heard about him before but did not know the full statement or all of his writings, just that he said he had seen them.

I have no doubt he actually believed that he had seen Wallace and Amy. It's whether he really did or not that's up for interpretation. But for sure he was convinced.

It would definitely be easier to add attachments. Would you guys prefer that? Just I figure people tend to like text on their screen rather than images.
            Attachments would be fine for me. I don’t know about others. You’ve done all the hard work it seems a bit rough having to type it all out.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by WallaceWackedHer View Post
              A report on William Herbert Wallace to the home office. The testimony on page 5 is VERY interesting.

Pictures attached below:

---

---

Casebook only lets you post 5 images per post. There's a 6th page but it's about some postcard. It's referenced a few times but I have NO idea what it's talking about, apparently it's old as hell and I think they dropped whatever line of inquiry that was.

Here's what struck me about page 5:

Was he suspecting an affair?
              Unless he was pointing the finger at you-know-who
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

Unless he was pointing the finger at you-know-who
                Yeah I thought that, but Wallace referred to Parry as a family friend and had been given a calendar by Gordon just a month prior.

He very well might have been though. I guess if someone killed your wife you'd stop considering them a friend pretty damn quickly.

Comment

Here is what I believe to be the main points written down by the prosecution. Not sure what else it could be:

---

Comment

Royal Southern Hospital Medical Report (I think this page 2 is part of the same document, I forgot to include it when I typed it out earlier):

---

---

Random Correspondence About an Anonymous Confession (Stated in multiple letters they believed were a hoax):

---

Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 01-17-2020, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Justice of the Peace and Local Government Review, June 13, 1931 (Appears to discuss Wallace's appeal in great detail):

---

Comment

Daily Mail 20/5/31 (A slightly more detailed entry relating to the release of Wallace):

---

And the Evening News:

Last edited by WallaceWackedHer; 01-17-2020, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Inscribed Notes About the Case:

---

Comment

LENGTHY POST: What appears to be notes taken during the trial. Contains more testimony and detail than Wyndham-Brown's "The Trail of William Herbert Wallace"... Possibly taken by the stenographer?

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/Zd4lQ3f

---

Cont next post...

Comment

Cont next post...

Comment

Cont next post...

Comment

Working...
                                X