Who Killed Julia Wallace? - New Evidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post

You're misreading that document, WWH. The Ann Dennis referred to is neither his wife nor his daughter, it is in fact his widowed mother, Ann Dennis. Also, the John Dennis mentioned is not his 6 year old son but his own brother John, a farmer, who was about nine years older.
    John Dennis's twin sister, Sarah, was married twice, firstly to Samuel Taylor [hence the 'Taylor' name you mention] in 1846 and then to William Monkhouse in 1866. No doubt at all about the matter.
    Many thanks.

I mistakenly had his mother as "Hannah". Okay... So Sarah Monkhouse is William George Dennis's sister? Okay I think I got it. So all these people would be dead before Julia's move to 11 St Mary's Avenue, the posh Harrogate home?

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
      Do you believe that Julia owned the house at St Mary’s Avenue WWH? Couldn’t she have just lived in rooms there at a time when the other rooms were unoccupied?
      She definitely owned it outright. It was solely hers, and very expensive. She was not a tenant - she in fact acted as a landlady, she let out rooms to people.

Comment

• Originally posted by WallaceWackedHer View Post

She definitely owned it outright. It was solely hers, and very expensive. She was not a tenant - she in fact acted as a landlady, she let out rooms to people.
        Well, I tried to copy and paste a frontal photograph of the house ,compliments of ‘google earth’ . 11,St. Mary’s avenue ,Harrogate. But, I’m not too smart at that kind of thing . It’s a really nice property even now. If she owned it outright she was in great shape financially, before William hove into view!
        Last edited by moste; 12-06-2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• It should be this one, house is called Rosedene.

Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by moste View Post

Well, I tried to copy and paste a frontal photograph of the house ,compliments of ‘google earth’ . 11,St. Mary’s avenue ,Harrogate. But, I’m not too smart at that kind of thing . It’s a really nice property even now. If she owned it outright she was in great shape financially, before William hove into view!
            Yup, that's why I'm curious to see how she ended up with it. I'm not sure I'm able to find the other wills though. I plugged the names into the government website but didn't have much luck.

It probably isn't important, but there are ideas someone from her past carried out this crime, so it's worth a look to see if anyone got shafted in the wills etc. which might leave them with a grudge... Julia is certainly estranged so it's worth a snoop.

In fact if Julia was in debt to someone, she herself might have directed that person to take cash from the box promising she'd pay the rest some other time.

Also it'd be interesting to figure out how/why they LOST the money. Selling that grand home and moving to a poorhouse in Liverpool? And they end up with only a couple hundred in their bank account between them when Julia died? Something doesn't really add up there (it's not like William was super poor or w.e. himself - although did they have public healthcare back then? If not perhaps his kidney problems rinsed his wealth)... Shedding light on that could potentially uncover a motive for William.

Comment

• Does anyone know how long Gordon Parry had been in the army when he was sentenced to three months hard labour in September 1934 for taking away a vehicle without the owner's consent ?
              "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

Yup, that's why I'm curious to see how she ended up with it. I'm not sure I'm able to find the other wills though. I plugged the names into the government website but didn't have much luck.

It probably isn't important, but there are ideas someone from her past carried out this crime, so it's worth a look to see if anyone got shafted in the wills etc. which might leave them with a grudge... Julia is certainly estranged so it's worth a snoop.

In fact if Julia was in debt to someone, she herself might have directed that person to take cash from the box promising she'd pay the rest some other time.

Also it'd be interesting to figure out how/why they LOST the money. Selling that grand home and moving to a poorhouse in Liverpool? And they end up with only a couple hundred in their bank account between them when Julia died? Something doesn't really add up there (it's not like William was super poor or w.e. himself - although did they have public healthcare back then? If not perhaps his kidney problems rinsed his wealth)... Shedding light on that could potentially uncover a motive for William.
                No NHS until 1948 WWH

What was life like for the sick and injured in Britain before NHS, when people had to pay for their own treatment, medicine and hospital admission?
                Last edited by Herlock Sholmes; 12-10-2019, 12:46 PM.
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

This might clarify matters, Moste. Said house is indicated by red arrow... Click image for larger version

Name:	11 St Marys Avenue, Harrogate.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	728418
                  "A body of men, HOLDING THEMSELVES ACCOUNTABLE TO NOBODY, ought not to be trusted by anybody." --Thomas Paine ["Rights of Man"]

"Justice is an ideal which transcends the expedience of the State, or the sensitivities of Government officials, or private individuals. IT HAS TO BE PURSUED WHATEVER THE COST IN PEACE OF MIND TO THOSE CONCERNED." --'Justice of the Peace' [July 12th 1975]

Comment

• Originally posted by Sherlock Houses View Post

This might clarify matters, Moste. Said house is indicated by red arrow... Click image for larger version

Name:	11 St Marys Avenue, Harrogate.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	728418
                    That’s the one! Fabulous as terraced houses go . Thanks for that SH.

Comment

Great web site HS. (I’ve put it into favourites). So pre-NHS a ladies league to decide who paid for what in health care eh ?. Still I would think if Julia was renting out any portion of the house to help with finances , it would cover any medical/dental concerns also. It is a conundrum, how she wound up in lowly Wolverton .

Comment

Great web site HS. (I’ve put it into favourites). So pre-NHS a ladies league to decide who paid for what in health care eh ?. Still I would think if Julia was renting out any portion of the house to help with finances , it would cover any medical/dental concerns also. It is a conundrum, how she wound up in lowly Wolverton .
                        Hi Moste,

Id never heard of these Almoners either. I certainly agree with you (and WWH) that it would be interesting to know how she got be living in such a large house?
                        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

William had really serious operations and so on. I don't know if he was in debt or exactly what went on with financing for his illness.

I wonder if he played toyboy to Julia to get at her money if he was in serious trouble. At the end of his life they barely had any money at all, I don't know if they could even afford whatever William needed at that time.

I know both William's father and mother died in an infirmary not a proper hospital which may suggest financial difficulty. Though William's dad also owned one of those nice homes (just not QUITE as nice as Julia's but very similar), and it was there the Wallace family lived.

I know Julia moved from Dragon Parade which was also very nice housing. I think she was also living in that one alone too?

Comment

• Is it possible that she might have inherited the house from a more distant family member? Someone that we haven’t heard of? It’s probably something that we’ll never know.
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Is it possible that she might have inherited the house from a more distant family member? Someone that we haven’t heard of? It’s probably something that we’ll never know.
                              Maybe. I can track the wills (where her dad's money went and follow it down - albeit having some difficulty finding the other wills as the names are more common with no middle name).

I doubt it will be important but you never know.

I'd be more interested in following the money AFTER Julia married William and seeing how it drained so hard and fast. Marriage of convenience given heavy medical debts perhaps? That could be another reason for alienation if the family disapproved of Wallace and could see what he was doing.
                              ---

Btw here's something else bugging me. Both doors have bolts. But drunk mr. Cadwallader was able to walk into their home in the middle of the night and go up to their bedroom. So did they not ever bolt the back door?

William said - it's claimed in one of these books - she wouldn't bolt the back door because the gate would protect her. Ofc this is bad logic if they really believed that given the low walls which the window cleaners easily scaled while doing their rounds on that very day. Makes it seriously easy for someone to come in the back while Julia's in the front parlour.

Comment

Maybe. I can track the wills (where her dad's money went and follow it down - albeit having some difficulty finding the other wills as the names are more common with no middle name).

I doubt it will be important but you never know.

I'd be more interested in following the money AFTER Julia married William and seeing how it drained so hard and fast. Marriage of convenience given heavy medical debts perhaps? That could be another reason for alienation if the family disapproved of Wallace and could see what he was doing.
                                ---

Btw here's something else bugging me. Both doors have bolts. But drunk mr. Cadwallader was able to walk into their home in the middle of the night and go up to their bedroom. So did they not ever bolt the back door?

William said - it's claimed in one of these books - she wouldn't bolt the back door because the gate would protect her. Ofc this is bad logic if they really believed that given the low walls which the window cleaners easily scaled while doing their rounds on that very day. Makes it seriously easy for someone to come in the back while Julia's in the front parlour.
                                I can’t remember the exact time of the Mr Cadwallader incident but the pubs did close earlier in those days? If he came in by the backdoor perhaps it was at a time before they had locked the door for the night? Maybe Julia had intended to lock the door after putting the cat out?
                                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Working...
                                X