Madeleine McCann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
    Sorry, but I remember the Azaria Chamberlain case in Australia when seemingly the whole nation (including me) rushed to judgement over Lindy Chamberlain's guilt in the death of baby Azaria. There was much more forensic evidence in that case (which later turned out to be wrongly interpreted) than there has ever been in Madeleine's. I'm never doing that again.
    My recollection of the Azaria Chamberlain case is that the prosecution case rested primarily on cuts/tears on her shawl, and whether they were inflicted by a dingo or bt scissors.

Having looked over the Madeleine McCann case carefully, I think that there is a huge amount of very compelling evidence that points in a very definite direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
      My recollection of the Azaria Chamberlain case is that the prosecution case rested primarily on cuts/tears on her shawl, and whether they were inflicted by a dingo or bt scissors.

Having looked over the Madeleine McCann case carefully, I think that there is a huge amount of very compelling evidence that points in a very definite direction.
      I think you may find that the buggy in Lindy's conviction was what was described by forensic "experts" as blood spray in their car. It was later shown to be a sound deadening spay, applied when the car was built.

Unfortunately it has got to the stage where jurors want, and often accept without questioning, scientific evidence. I know crown prosecutors who dread running trials without DNA, THEY call it the CSI factor.

What always really puzzled me was why no one listened to the Black tracker who said from the start that dog took the baby.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I think the Northern Territory detectives decided pretty well straight away that Lindy Chamberlain was a person of interest and from then on seem to have built a case around that assumption.

It's a very dangerous thing to do IMO, and unfortunately articles about the Chamberlains' religion, demeanour, supposed lack of sorrow etc was reported on in newspapers all over Australia. "I wouldn't do anything so neglectful as leaving a small child and baby in a tent in a camp site". I can remember people saying it now. It was trial by media, much of what was reported was wrong and people became judges and jury on the strength of it.

Comment

• We moved home last year and I found the house has an indirect link to the Madeleine McCann case. It was inherited in 2006 by the mother of an early suspect - since cleared of any involvement. Mother and son live in Portugal, and her mother (the ex-suspect's grandmother) lived in our house for about 40 years until her death in 2006. The ex-suspect's grandmother was called Madeleine, and thankfully she didn't live to hear about little Madeleine's disappearance and her own grandson being suspected. His cousin is now our window cleaner!

My daughter was at school with Meredith Kercher, who was murdered in Italy; my GP in the late 70s was Dr Robert Jones, whose wife Diane was murdered in 1983; and my husband was offered a job (which he didn't take) by Shrien Dewani, whose wife Anni was murdered on their honeymoon in Cape Town.

You couldn't make it up, could you?

Love,

Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Once again another red herring. They're looking in the wrong direction.

Comment

• That is truly spooky, Caz!

Comment

• I started reading this thread from the beginning and was amazed at the high emotion displayed by posters on both sides. After updating my memory on this case by reading a Wikipedia article (it only goes up to 2014 in events related to the investigations), I realized that this entire affair can't help but lead to high emotions, as there is nothing sadder than the death or disappearance of a child without a resolution.

I'm not sure what I think happened here, but I don't think the child died in Portugal. If she is now dead is another question.
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

• Hi Caz,

re: your post, is that why people make the sign of the Cross when they see you?

I once shared an office with a bloke who decided to do his family tree. All went well until he discovered that an ancestor (I think on his father's side) had been hanged for murder some time in the early 20th century. Obviously, this episode had been a well-kept family secret. He felt that his family therefore had a shadow hanging over it, and became quite oddly introverted as a result.

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    Hi Caz,

re: your post, is that why people make the sign of the Cross when they see you?

I once shared an office with a bloke who decided to do his family tree. All went well until he discovered that an ancestor (I think on his father's side) had been hanged for murder some time in the early 20th century. Obviously, this episode had been a well-kept family secret. He felt that his family therefore had a shadow hanging over it, and became quite oddly introverted as a result.

Graham
                    I had at least one hanged, but much earlier and of course had a few convicts, but HERSELF has dozens of them, Judy shows I married beneath my station.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I'm not a betting man nor an expert ......but if I were , I would put my money on the m and d being involved in this one .....friends in high places it seems to me

Comment

• Nationalism certainly came into it in my opinion, as it so often does in these cases, (think Amanda Knox, Meredith Kercher, for example). The British press went on quite a rant for years about the standard of the Portugese investigation, which was botched, and the Portugese reacted.

What I was trying to get at in previous posts, however, by citing the Azaria Chamberlain death, is how easily the public gets sucked into a trial by media. This includes invoking, as support for their misconceptions, things such as how the parents supposedly acted and reacted before and after the disappearance of their child.

What friends in high places would help cover up the murder abroad of a little child, unless those involved were highly placed and powerful themselves, which doesn't appear to be the case here?

Comment

• British media and murders are amazing to me. I watched the first series of "Broadchurch" and was horrified at the way the reporters descended on the scene and tried tricks like befriending the dead boy's sister all to get something to print. After reviewing the McCann affair, I think the television show portrayed them rather on the softer side of reality.
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

• Watching famous murder cases in the U.S. unfold, I think the media there is just as bad or worse, though. Remember the OJ circus? Michael Jackson didn't murder anyone but I think the media practically interviewed everyone but Bubbles the chimp around the time of those first molestation allegations!

Comment

Watching famous murder cases in the U.S. unfold, I think the media there is just as bad or worse, though. Remember the OJ circus? Michael Jackson didn't murder anyone but I think the media practically interviewed everyone but Bubbles the chimp around the time of those first molestation allegations!
                              I thought I saw an ape interview bubbles
                              G U T

Comment

Watching famous murder cases in the U.S. unfold, I think the media there is just as bad or worse, though. Remember the OJ circus? Michael Jackson didn't murder anyone but I think the media practically interviewed everyone but Bubbles the chimp around the time of those first molestation allegations!
                                I totally agree, we're no saints when it comes to tabloid press. I'm in Colorado, and remember the debacle of the Jon Benet Ramsey murder. That was another example of "mistakes" being made in the investigation from the beginning.
                                ---------------
                                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                                X