When Flying Saucers Attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Doug,

Welcome aboard. This looks like a very interesting mystery. I reminds me of another story that was posted here, on a thread about unsolved crimes. Jukka posted that one.

Thanks for the story.

Best, Cel

Mike, I hope you're feeling better.

Hello to Stan, Jeff, Nemo, et al.
    "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Hi Doug. I read that article a few issues back as I subscribe to Fortean Times. It is certainly interesting how they died, and what happened that night will remain a mystery forever.

Many years ago British made UFO magazine covered a series of mutilations, similar to the ones carried out on animals, but these where on humans. Tongues where cut out, internal organs missing, and the cuts where done by lasers!!

The plot thickens!

I am feeling much better today, I finally have my cardiologist appointment on Monday!!
      Last edited by Mike Covell; 03-20-2009, 12:54 PM.
      Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Celesta / Mike et al

Mike - I remember the laser injuries etc

In one of those cases, didn't a witness say that he saw men in USAF uniforms on the rim of a hovering saucer - supposedly testing battlefield surgical lasers or something?

Regards

Nemo

(PS - I think the Russian case is most likely an avalanche no?)

Comment

• Hi Nemo,
          Yes, there was a case where a witness allegedly saw a group of military men testing a laser.

I believe the authorities ruled out an avalanche as the tent was more or less intact, apart from a large rip in one side.
          Regards Mike

Comment

• very long thread so if this has already been posted then

On 21 October 1978, 21-year-old pilot Frederick Valentich went missing over Bass Strait.

It's a mystery that has baffled authorities and the public ever since as no evidence regarding his fate has ever been found.

Some claim he was abducted by a UFO whilst other theories concluded it was simply a hoax, designed by Valentich in order to obtain life insurance money.

Local Historian Reg A. Watson has taken more than a passing interest in the unsolved disappearance over the years and still finds the topic a source of fascination.

"He was going from Melbourne to King Island, supposedly to collect crayfish and then return to go to a family reunion" explained Reg.

Frederick was not far out from the coast of Victoria when he made contact with Melbourne Flight Controller, Steve Roby, to enquire whether there were any other aircrafts in his immediate area.

"The transmission went on for about six minutes and is very interesting," said Reg who has his own copy of the written transcript.

Although the original radio copy of the conversation between Valentich and Ruby still exists it has never been made available to the media or the general public.

During the transmission Valentich claimed another craft was above him, then below him and describes the object as being metallic, shiny on the outside with flashing lights.

One explanation put forward at the time suggested Valentich was upside down in his craft and circling the Cape Otway Lighthouse which explains the flashing lights he claimed to have witnessed.

Reg believes the nature of the aircraft Valentich was flying does not support this theory and the lack of wreckage near the lighthouse also suggests this explanation holds little weight.

Perhaps the greatest clues to the mystery may be found in the behaviour of Valentich leading up to his disappearance.

To begin with he did not supply a flight plan; an unusual fact given Valentich aspired to become a commercial pilot. Valentich was also 40 minutes late leaving the Melbourne area than he had planned.

Those who support the abduction theory point to the fact that, leading up to the incident, there were a number of reports in the area of unidentified objects in the sky.

"There were sightings as far afield as Melbourne, the Victorian Coast and graphic reports over King Island itself; they start from two months before the disappearance of Frederick. On the day of Frederick's disappearance there were continual reports," said Reg.

Not long after the disappearance of Valentich, Frederick's mother contacted the late French marine explorer, Jacques Cousteau to enlist his help in the search for wreckage of the aircraft.

Reports from the time claim Costeau agreed to help in the search for wreckage, but was denied permission by authorities.

Although there have been alleged sightings of plane wreckage in the waters off Cape Otway, no official search has taken place, despite the 1982 coronial inquiry returning an open verdict on the incident.

In 1998 a memorial was erected by the Valentich family at Cape Otway - it was unveiled by Steve Ruby, the last person to speak with Frederick Valentich.

his final words:
            Transcript of the Valentich-Robey transmissions

19:06:14 DSJ [Valentich]: Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet. Is there any known traffic below five thousand?

FS [Flight Services; Robey]: Delta Sierra Juliet, no known traffic.

DSJ: Delta Sierra Juliet, I am, seems to be a large aircraft below five thousand.

19:06:44 FS: Delta Sierra Juliet, What type of aircraft is it?

DSJ: Delta Sierra Juliet, I cannot affirm, it is four bright, and it seems to me like landing lights.

FS: Delta Sierra Juliet.

19:07:31 DSJ: Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet, the aircraft has just passed over me at least a thousand feet above.

FS: Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, and it is a large aircraft, confirmed?

DSJ: Er-unknown, due to the speed it's traveling, is there any air force aircraft in the vicinity?

FS: Delta Sierra Juliet, no known aircraft in the vicinity.

19:08:18 DSJ: Melbourne, it's approaching now from due east towards me.

19:08:41 DSJ: (open microphone for two seconds.)

19:08:48 DSJ: Delta Sierra Juliet, it seems to me that he's playing some sort of game, he's flying over me two, three times at speeds I could not identify.

FS: Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, what is your actual level?

DSJ: My level is four and a half thousand, four five zero zero.

FS: Delta Sierra Juliet and you confirm you cannot identify the aircraft?

DSJ: Affirmative.

FS: Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, stand by.

19:09:27 DSJ: Melbourne, Delta Sierra Juliet, it's not an aircraft it is (open microphone for two seconds).

19:09:42 FS: Delta Sierra Juliet, can you describe the -ER- aircraft?

DSJ: Delta Sierra Juliet, as it's flying past it's a long shape (open microphone for three seconds) cannot identify more than it has such speed (open microphone for three seconds). It's before me right now Melbourne.

19:10 FS: Delta Sierra Juliet, roger and how large would the - er - object be?

19:10:19 DSJ: Delta Sierra Juliet, Melbourne, it seems like it's stationary[19]. What I'm doing right now is orbiting and the thing is just orbiting on top of me also. It's got a green light and sort of metallic like, it's all shiny on the outside.

FS: Delta Sierra Juliet

19:10:46 DSJ: Delta Sierra Juliet (open microphone for three seconds) It's just vanished.

19:11:00 DSJ: Melbourne, would you know what kind of aircraft I've got? Is it a military aircraft?

FS: Delta Sierra Juliet, Confirm the - er ~ aircraft just vanished.

DSJ: Say again.

FS: Delta Sierra Juliet, is the aircraft still with you?

DSJ: Delta Sierra Juliet; it's (open microphone for two seconds) now approaching from the south-west.

FS: Delta Sierra Juliet

19:11:50 DSJ: Delta Sierra Juliet, the engine is rough-idling. I've got it set at twenty three twenty-four and the thing is (coughing).

FS: Delta Sierra Juliet, roger, what are your intentions?

DSJ: My intentions are - ah - to go to King Island - ah - Melbourne. That strange aircraft is hovering on top of me again (open microphone for two seconds). It is hovering and it's not an aircraft.

19:12:28 DSJ: Delta Sierra Juliet. Melbourne (open microphone for seventeen seconds).

(An unexplained sound abruptly terminated the voice communications.)[20]

Comment

• Hi Doppelganger,

I don't think that's on here. I don't remember the name Valentich, but I remember something about Bass Strait. Did Unsolved Mysteries do a piece on this? I seem to remember a piece on a number of sightings and a lighthouse in that area.

How strange that he would say it was not an aircraft. This must have been at night, if the controller thought Valentich was flying upside down.

I'm definitely going to go look this one up. Thanks for the nice post.

Cel
              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• yes they did

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

part 1

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

part 2

Comment

• Hi all,

Yes, I remember seeing that on Unsolved Mysteries; I miss that program. I might even have it around here somewhere on tape but I'm not sure.

I think this was mentioned a little on the old pre-crash thread but I think I brought it up because it was one of the few stories Unsolved Mysteries covered from outside North America.
                  Last edited by sdreid; 03-21-2009, 05:21 AM.
                  This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I have a couple of books and magazines covering the Valentich Incident, it's a very interesting case, and has never been solved, which is a shame for his family.
                    Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi Stan, Mike, Celeste, Nemo, et al.

Re: Large Cats - there have been citings of large panthers in New Jersey recently. This was met with some amazement, as actually the panther is not a native animal there. But it later came out that the region is near a wealthy community, and one of the locals may have exotic animals roaming their estate. Recently in Connecticut a woman was mauled, and terribly injured (almost killed) by a pet chimpanzee owned by a friend of hers. The woman is suing the friend for $50 million dollars damages (they are horrific facial and mental damages). The chimp was shot and killed by cops.

I have heard of that disappearance near Melbourne - I saw it on a program (possibly it was UNSOLVED MYSTERIES, but it may have been a show on the history or discovery channel about UFO mysteries).

Somehow I cannot believe a pilot would mistake a lighthouse tower and light for a UFO. Even if flying upside down, wouldn't he think it odd that the UFO was "anchored" by a tower to the ground?

Thanks for your concern about my friend Ken Celeste - I spoke to him on Thursday. He is hopeful, and he an his wife are continuing to live life to the fullest, despite health problems. I hope all is well with your brother.

Jeff

Comment

• Hi Jeff,

Thanks. Surgery is Tuesday. I'm much more anxious about what we'll find out than the last time.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Ken.

I agree with what you said about the pilot mistaking the lighthouse and tower for a UFO, esp. as at one point he said it moved away from him or disappeared. Curious incident.

Comment

• Hi Cel, Jeff and Mike,

If I recall, that Unsolved Mysteries (Yes, that is redundant.) segment claimed that a picnicking family actually saw a UFO with the plane.

At any rate, the big thing here in Peoria right now is the Ali al-Marri terrorist trial.
                          This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Still no improvement in my condition, I must have even more tests to ascertain what is wrong, I also have to start a course of heart drugs after the first set of tests, then have more tests after the drugs!
                            Regards Mike

Comment

• Stan, I didn't know about the picnicking family. I remember a big to do with different pilots seeing something and naysayers saying it was a planet or the lighthouse, etc.

Mike, I'm sorry about this. I hope they can come up with some solutions this time. I have to say you seem to handle this situation well. It has to be rough on all of you.

Comment

• It is tough at times, but I am blessed with good friends and family which far outweighs the negative so even though it's a set back, I can plough on and remain positive.
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X